Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,129

1 members and 3,128 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    I agree that longer handling sessions could be beneficial.

While handling your snake watch closely so you can learn his body language, mannerisms, etc...
    Watch the way his tongue flicks, watch his lungs expand and contract.

Also handle with confidence and respect. Snakes are good at picking up stress, nervousness or anxiety on our end and will often be stressed if they sense we are.
    Also handle with respect. Understand that at the heart of things, snakes are simple, primitive animals. They don't know much more than "eat and don't get eaten". They only have their mouths as self defense, and hissing is their way of saying " I'm not comfortable in this situation". From there, we need to learn their body language.

Take your time, be gentle, try to always end handling sessions on a positive note and gently let the snake slither off your hands when you return him to his enclosure.

One last thing... I've never done this, because I've never had a snake that I needed to with, but I've heard and read it can be very helpful and usually successful.
    You can try putting a t-shirt or something of yours in the enclosure so that it familiarizes with your scent.

Good luck. Feel free to ask any questions you have.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-21-2019),Luvyna (05-21-2019),MissterDog (05-22-2019),Moose84 (05-22-2019)

Thanks

Re: New Ball Python just started hissing.

Thank you all for the great advice. I've wanted a snake for a very long time and just wanna go what's best for him. One more question. If I go to handle him and I get a hiss should I leave him be or still continue to pick him up and handle?

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to njbassman7689 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-21-2019),Craiga 01453 (05-21-2019)

Thanks

If your BP is eating reliably (at least 3 times consecutively) then I'd say even if he gives you a hiss, go for it! That will probably help him learn that getting picked up by you doesn't cause him any harm, and also that hissing won't make you go away. I've also found that some BPs like to act like they're tough stuff while they're in their enclosure, but once you take them out they become sweet and docile.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,825 Times in 11,844 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by njbassman7689 View Post
    Thank you all for the great advice. I've wanted a snake for a very long time and just wanna go what's best for him. One more question. If I go to handle him and I get a hiss should I leave him be or still continue to pick him up and handle?
    A little of both: years ago I took in a yearling boa (BCI) that had changed owners many times for biting/hissing at everyone before she was given to me. No way a
    yearling boa is going to scare me off, LOL, but she tried. She tried hard... Initially I cuddled her with a little towel over her, so she learned my scent & touch without
    seeing me (we're all big & scary "predators" to a snake that doesn't know any better!). After a month or so she learned to feel safe & quit hissing, so gradually I let her
    look out & before you knew it, she was just fine, no towel. In all the years I had her, she never bit me even once, but she wanted to at first only because she was scared.
    When I took her out of her cage I never rushed her though...snakes may need time (cues of scent &/or touch) to remember they do know you.

She learned I was "safe" to be with, but over the years, a few times her snakey-mind was "elsewhere" as if she forgot she knew me, & she'd give me a huge evil hisssss
    when I wanted to pick her up. And by then she was big (7.5') so her teeth would have hurt...but I just pet her coils (not in her face) for a few minutes while she calmed
    down (& remembered my touch), then I picked her up as usual...and she was just fine. Actually, she liked being out & cuddled so much, she often fought to avoid going
    back in her cage...

See what I mean?

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It can be anything from a stressed animal, to a defensive animal (normal behavior for young animals) to one that just like to be vocal I have a big 2500 grams female just like that (must have been a Bullsnake in a past life )

The important is that it is hissing and not whistling and if I had to guess he will probably grow out of it.
    Deborah Stewart

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-22-2019),MissterDog (05-22-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by njbassman7689 View Post

I have a female who is hissy at times. I wouldn't let it bother you too much. Focus more on his posture and it if he looks like he is getting defensive. My female hisses just to hiss no other defensive behavior. My opinion would be to continue to handle even if he does get a little hissy... If he hisses and you leave him alone he will hiss knowing that you will leave him alone. If he hisses and you notice he's super stiff and in a defensive position then I might back off or cover his head.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Moose84 For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (05-22-2019)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12