Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,774

2 members and 1,772 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: 5 month feeding strike-- kinda getting nervous how long it's been .. .

Quote Originally Posted by JodanOrNoDan View Post
    You didn't forget. You didn't read. You are right, the number of posts and years of membership don't mean much, but 40 years of experience and hundreds of animals raised and sold have also taught me no one is an expert.

The purpose of this site is to help people and their animals. It is hard to get people to take good advice by being antagonistic.
    It’s also IMPOSSIBLE to give people the proper advice without the details. Not going to argue sir. Have a blessed day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 575 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Moose84 View Post
    There is a reason a sticky is dedicated to giving as much info as possible prior to posting. When an owner says “I know nothing about the health of my animal other than it’s mean and hasn’t eaten in 5 months” I don’t think that is an opportunity to baby them.
    If they don't have information to give, then they don't have it. Nothing any of us can do changes that. Maybe we could get a weight from today, but that doesn't tell us a weight from 5 months ago. The picture provided, assuming it is recent, is more than enough to indicate to experienced keepers the body condition of the snake.

I didn't see any babying in the reply. Just the basic facts as far as can he told on this situation. Fasting is common at that age and she appears to be in good shape. Wait it out is usually the recommended path unless weight or body condition drops.

OP may do well to weigh the snake now and every 2 weeks or so until it eats again to watch from now. Short of trying live prey, not much else to do.

This isn't a Facebook group; we avoid being harsh to those asking advice because doing so often loses their attention or causes them to seek out less reliable/informed help and it is the snake that would suffer if changes needed to be made.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pretends2bnormal For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (05-21-2019),Bogertophis (05-21-2019),JodanOrNoDan (05-21-2019)

Thanks

Thanks for giving the same advice I did in a much more loving way. Who cares about Facebook sites or whatever. It’s about the animals ultimately correct?

Who gives a rats backside about the animals as long as we don’t don’t hurt anyone’s feelings....

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts

Thanks for giving the same advice I did in a much more loving way. Who cares about Facebook sites or whatever. It’s about the animals ultimately correct?

Who gives a rats backside about the animals as long as we don’t don’t hurt anyone’s feelings....

I honestly don't care much for people's feelings on anything. I care about facts. That said, if you do not treat people with respect they are not going to listen to you. They will be driven away from the board and then not speak up when they really do need help. How does that help the animals? The animals belong to people. They cannot speak for themselves.
    Honest, I only need one more ...

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JodanOrNoDan For This Useful Post:

Bodie (05-21-2019),Bogertophis (05-21-2019),pretends2bnormal (05-21-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JodanOrNoDan View Post
    I honestly don't care much for people's feelings on anything. I care about facts. That said, if you do not treat people with respect they are not going to listen to you. They will be driven away from the board and then not speak up when they really do need help. How does that help the animals? The animals belong to people. They cannot speak for themselves.
    “The animals can’t speak for themselves....” exactly. thanks for continuing to support me. Sorry I didn’t answer the question in a living and nurturing way.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 460 Posts
    OP here: I am absolutely shocked and reeling from the hostility of the replies. I thought this was a place full of kind and helpful people. I have been a member here for quite awhile. I suffer from depression and I often come here to see snake pictures and threads (in addition to posting my own) to cheer me up and lift my mood in an otherwise not so friendly world full of bad news. Please know that when you attack someone on-line or are snarky that there is a real person on the other end if who has real feelings. I am so upset right now.

But getting back to the topic:
    -- this is NOT my snake. This is my 15 year old's snake.

-- I gave as much info as I could in my OP about the snake's husbandry, temperament, activity level, and behavior.

-- I have two snakes of my own that I post about here most of the time.

-- My 15 year old takes excellent care of her chameleon and her snake, with good attention paid to humidity, enclosures, size, temps, etc. We learned a lot of that care from the *friendly* people on this forum.

-- We have had the this snake for about 1.5 years. She was given to us as a snippy snake who bit people very frequently, and she has improved, but remains snippy. We have taken great care to work with her, again with suggestions of people on this forum, but that is just her base personality. My other BP is a sweetheart and so is my ratsnake. Anyone who reads my threads knows that our snakes are well loved and cared for.

-- So what if my daughter doesn't weigh her snake? Not everyone does that. And don't bite MY head off about that. It's not my snake.

-- We DO keep track of her feedings.

-- The photos were taken today (to answer someone's question)

-- Thank you to the person who said what we needed to hear, that the snake still appears to have good weight on her. That was the most useful answer of the whole thread.

-- We are not professional breeders. We are are not experts (which is why I came here to ask about our issue). We are, however, good pet owners. When I see some of the set-ups out there that BP's especially have to live in-- enclosures with no hides, red heat lamps, sand as the substrate, no humidity control, etc. well I think we are doing a pretty darned good job with our snakes even if we don't weigh them on a regular basis. Come on, people, give us a little credit for what we are doing right.

I think I'm going to take a break from this forum. It has really upset me today. Take care, and I hope some of you start to try to be kinder to strangers. Your words do affect people.
    Last edited by FollowTheSun; 05-21-2019 at 04:49 PM.
    2 BP's, one ratsnake, 2 dogs, 3 cats, 2 small caged birds, 7 chickens, and a toddler in a pear tree

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FollowTheSun For This Useful Post:

Bodie (05-21-2019),Bogertophis (05-21-2019),pretends2bnormal (05-21-2019),Sonny1318 (05-21-2019)

Thanks

I’m sorry your feelings were hurt. I’m also sorry you suffer from depression. I’m also not sorry that I am honest and to the point.

I believe in taking good care of these animals and when someone posts comments like “it’s not my animals it’s my daughters” and “we don’t weigh our animals....” you posted nothing other than your husbandry was perfect. I can’t count the number of times I have heard that.

I just think this site is a bit to babied at times and the animals are the ones who suffer. Once again. This is about the animals. Not you. What’s best for you or anyone for that matter isn’t always what’s best for them. Have a great day!

Thanks
    Thanked 19,822 Times in 11,841 Posts
    I just got here (having severe weather today) & I too am shocked at the obvious snarky replies...really not helpful, and for what it's worth, I don't weigh MY
    snakes either...unless I have to calculate a dose of medication, which hasn't happened in a very long time.

FollowTheSun, I would miss you greatly if you take a break from this forum...maybe you should just "block" a few people... Hugs!

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Bodie (05-21-2019),JodanOrNoDan (05-21-2019),pretends2bnormal (05-21-2019),Sonny1318 (05-21-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,822 Times in 11,841 Posts

I’m sorry your feelings were hurt. I’m also sorry you suffer from depression....I just think this site is a bit to babied at times
    No, you're not "sorry", you're just rude & thoughtless, and there are other sites you can go to if we're all too nice & tactful for you...here, I'll get the door for ya.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

JodanOrNoDan (05-21-2019),Sonny1318 (05-21-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I just got here (having severe weather today) & I too am shocked at the obvious snarky replies...really not helpful, and for what it's worth, I don't weigh MY
    snakes either...unless I have to calculate a dose of medication, which hasn't happened in a very long time.

FollowTheSun, I would miss you greatly if you take a break from this forum...maybe you should just "block" a few people... Hugs!
    Congrats on terrible snake care to you as well.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast