Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,068

2 members and 3,066 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Help with conversion from Mice to Rats

(Note: all mice and rats in this story are F/T)
    I picked up my girl in February when she was ~150grams. I was told she was on rat fuzziess. None of my local stores had rat fuzzies so I purchased some medium sized mice. She fed quite well for 4 or so feedings (one per week) so I upped her to adult mice. She ate 4 or so times over the next month or so before my rat pups came in. The pups were only 2 or so grams heavier than the mice I had been feeding. She didn't eat the first pup thought she expressed a ton of interest. A few days later I went and bought a mouse to rub all over the new pup and she ate it after 15 or so minutes. (I trashed the mouse.)

I figured she was now used to the scent of the rat, so a week later I offered her a pup. She declined the pup. A week later and figuring that she needed more time to get used to the rat scent, I again went and purchased a mouse to rub on the pup. She instantly took the pup. This time I re-froze the mouse. Another week later, I again rubbed the mouse all over the pup, but this time she didn't take the pup though she is still very interested. You can tell she is looking for food, but is completely bypassing the rat.

All rodents have been defrosted at room temperature then heated up in a plastic bag in warm/hot water for 5-10 minutes. Am I doing something wrong? Do I have to go buy a new mouse everytime I want to feed a pup? How long should this take? Should I just get her started again on mice and worry about trying to convert her to rats some other time?

I'm open to advice! Thanks!

Thanks

Re: Help with conversion from Mice to Rats

I was in the same predicament over year ago but 'nothing' seemed to work in the conversion of mice to rats until I started using 'dirty mouse bedding' and tough love. At least w/ dirty mouse bedding, you don't have to worry about wasting a new mouse each time. Just a thought....Good luck!
    1.0 Motley IMG BCI - (Venom)

1.0 Super Ghost BCI - (Phantom)

1.0 Boxer - (Knox)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ckuhn003 For This Useful Post:

CNorris (05-22-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ckuhn003 View Post
    I was in the same predicament over year ago but 'nothing' seemed to work in the conversion of mice to rats until I started using 'dirty mouse bedding' and tough love. At least w/ dirty mouse bedding, you don't have to worry about wasting a new mouse each time. Just a thought....Good luck!
    What the heck is "dirty mouse bedding," where do I get it, and what do I do with it once I have it? Also, what do you mean by tough love?

Thanks

Referring to bedding that have had mice living on it. You can put the rats in the dirty mouse bedding and let the bedding give the rat the mouse scent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Champ299 For This Useful Post:

CNorris (05-22-2019),rufretic (05-21-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,186 Times in 695 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CNorris View Post
    What the heck is "dirty mouse bedding," where do I get it, and what do I do with it once I have it? Also, what do you mean by tough love?
    It is literally dirty mouse bedding or in other words, soiled mouse substrate. I have a friend that breeds mice so it's never hard to get my hands on it if I need it but if you don't know anyone with mice, you could ask a pet store for a bag full from one of their mouse enclosures. They may look at you funny but I don't see why they wouldn't help you out. Tough love means don't give in and give a mouse if the rat is refused. Just wait another week and try again.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rufretic For This Useful Post:

CNorris (05-22-2019),fadingdaylight (05-22-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

You could put the mice and the rat pups in the same bag together in the freezer. Where I buy feeders they come individually frozen and un-covered. They are in the same bag together so their smells intertwine. I have been feeding my snake one mouse and one rat pup and both are taken without any problem. I bought 4 mice and 4 rat pups all bagged together in the freezer. I take out one mouse and one rat pup. Defrost and serve both no problem. I have one snake.
    Last edited by ballpythonsrock2; 05-22-2019 at 12:11 AM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ballpythonsrock2 For This Useful Post:

CNorris (05-22-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ballpythonsrock2 View Post
    You could put the mice and the rat pups in the same bag together in the freezer. Where I buy feeders they come individually frozen and un-covered. They are in the same bag together so their smells intertwine. I have been feeding my snake one mouse and one rat pup and both are taken without any problem. I bought 4 mice and 4 rat pups all bagged together in the freezer. I take out one 20 g mouse and one rat pup. Defrost and serve both no problem. I have one snake.
    My snake is almost 500 grams and 2 more feeds left, will soon be going to small rats only. Kind of looking forward to that. Easier to find and buy and probably cheaper.

Thanks

She ate without mouse scent! Fun fact, it's been two nights since my BP refused to eat the rat. I decided to try a new rat tonight due to the fact that she has been searching around for food. I didn't scent the rat with a mouse. What I did different than all my other feedings is that (1) I heated the thawed rat with a hair dryer instead of using warm water, (2) I didn't remove her hide to feed her, & (3) I turned off the lights in the room.

Hopefully this will continue without the for a mouse. Thanks for the suggestions, folks!

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CNorris For This Useful Post:

fadingdaylight (05-22-2019),TechnoCheese (05-22-2019)

Thanks
    Now that you've got one unscented one down, it should get easier. My BP refused the first rat, I even left it in the tank for a few hours. I waited a full week before offering again. By that point, I could've dangled a goldfish in there, it wad time to eat. Now every ray gets stuck as soon as it's in range. I really feel like the change had more to do with recognition than being picky.
    - Jason

"Why should I fear what others fear? How ridiculous!" - Lao Tzu

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CNorris View Post
    She ate without mouse scent! Fun fact, it's been two nights since my BP refused to eat the rat. I decided to try a new rat tonight due to the fact that she has been searching around for food. I didn't scent the rat with a mouse. What I did different than all my other feedings is that (1) I heated the thawed rat with a hair dryer instead of using warm water, (2) I didn't remove her hide to feed her, & (3) I turned off the lights in the room.

Hopefully this will continue without the for a mouse. Thanks for the suggestions, folks!
    Congratulations on getting your BP to eat! A couple things that jumped out to me in your post. Sounds like you only waiting two nights to offer again which is a little to soon to offer again. Rule of thumb is to wait another week but in your case it worked so kudos to you.

Also, the 3 things you listed (hair dryer, not removing hide and turning lights off) are key ingredients to successful feedings so keep them up. Congrats.
    1.0 Motley IMG BCI - (Venom)

1.0 Super Ghost BCI - (Phantom)

1.0 Boxer - (Knox)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast