Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,202

3 members and 3,199 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Aggressive female BP about a year old now

Hi all!

This will be an update/question post as an extension of this earlier post of mine: https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...enile-new-home

My BP Aruna has been with us now since October. She is a lemonburst morph we got from a breeder. She arrived about 6 months old.

I had originally asked some questions because she has been snappy, but most attributed this to adjustment period and perhaps husbandry.

Husbandry:

We have mad many necessary changes to make her home perfect. She has temps of 90 on the hot side, 70 on the cool, 50% humidity (added moss and a towel to cover the tank), all of this maintained by a UTH with thermostat, and a heat lamp on the basking side. She has two hides and uses both. I think she has been ok in the home.

Adjustment:

It has been some time now and I thought we had some progress. We remove her from the tank for basic cleaning and put her in a travel carrier. Instead of handling her directly wed keep her in there while cleaning and just talk to her and watch her not trying to bother her much with handling for now. We then moved to while in the carrier just some light rubs while she was balled (all of this done while cleaning - once or twice a month depending on sheds and how much waste she has). I was advised it may be time to try and handle her so i did.

But then the snapping started again. And a bit concerning was that the snapping didnt even happen when a reach in was attempted. Just random shots in the air as soon as the hide was removed (which we have to do when we clean anyway). She is indeed a very scared and anxious noodle.

Now, I am no expert in adjustment periods, but this has been a bit of time since we got her so is this now a personality situation?

I will say something else - this is my first BP I have ever fed frozen instead of live. I thought this would have an opposite effect, but not sure if this somehow is contributing too. Sometimes she strikes the defrosted mouse from the tongs. Other times when she won't we will leave it in and she will grab it on her own terms.

I am really worried that she is so stressed all the time. Even the slightest walk by if her head is out of her hide she retreats violently (even hitting her head on her own hide!).

Any ideas?

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts
    What does the animal weigh? The things that jumped out at me are the words female and mouse. A mouse is not likely enough food for a female ball of this age. A hungry girl pretty much can exhibit all the symptoms you are talking about.
    Honest, I only need one more ...

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JodanOrNoDan For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-20-2019),Craiga 01453 (05-20-2019),Lord Sorril (05-20-2019),Sonny1318 (05-20-2019)

Thanks

Re: Aggressive female BP about a year old now

Thats a good point so shes taking XL mice. I have fed rats before I would say they are comparable to small rats. I do not know what she weighs but I can try and see if we can get her to cooperate with that. She has had frequent and one piece sheds as of late so definitely growing though.

I will try and up her feedings that is a good point! Any opinion on frozen verse live? I am trying to finish up the XL mouse frozen lot we bought so would be a good time to consider switching if you have a strong opinion one way or another.
    Last edited by bdc873; 05-20-2019 at 12:03 PM.

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts

I prefer FT if the snake will take it. It is way more convenient if you are not breeding your own food.

Just as a reference, I have quite a few females that were already on medium rats at a year. Many of my lines are on the large size though.
    Honest, I only need one more ...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JodanOrNoDan For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-20-2019)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    I agree 100% with jodan.

Also, I noticed you said cool side temps are 70???

That needs to come up to about 78-80. 75 should be the absolute low.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-20-2019),JodanOrNoDan (05-20-2019),Sonny1318 (05-20-2019)

Thanks
    makes sense. I think coming out of the winter now both sides will probably rise a bit in my apt. Will probably be easier managing the cool side than keeping the basking side from going too high.

I appreciate the feedback guys I think I'm going to work on getting her more satiated so shes not hangry hah

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bdc873 View Post
    makes sense. I think coming out of the winter now both sides will probably rise a bit in my apt. Will probably be easier managing the cool side than keeping the basking side from going too high.

I appreciate the feedback guys I think I'm going to work on getting her more satiated so shes not hangry hah
    Regardless of room temps your husbandry needs to be on point. Focus on husbandry first and then work on the rest. It all starts with proper husbandry.

Thanks

How big (grams) is the animal and what size enclosure is she in?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 1,148 Posts
    Probably would hurt to lower your high temps to 88, and remember at the end of the day she is a snake. But yes I would probably try to get a better handling routine established with her. Hopefully you can calm and show her she’s in no danger. The others all gave you some really good advise.
    1.0 Black Pastel Pinstripe
    1.0 Reduced Pattern Clown
    1.0 Low White Pied
    1.0 Hypo Super Enchi