Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,073

0 members and 3,073 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Broken scale on BP's Head!!!

Hello everyone. I noticed that my BP has damaged one of his scales at the top of his head. There's some white crust around the damaged area and there's a small pink rash in the middle. I cannot take a picture right now because my phone is dead, but I will take one tomorrow. I think he may have rubbed his head on something sharp or something. My husbandry is pretty perfect at the moment. I rubbed his tiny rash with some Neosporin. What should I do??? Thanks.
    I like noodles.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Wipe off the Neosporin... it can help treat a wound, but is also known to mess up scales (make them de-laminate) if not used very sparingly.

Damaging one scale is hardly an emergency...I'll wait for the photo...hate to give advice without seeing what you really mean, but in all likelihood, it's just a
    minor head rub. Much like a kid that skins their knee while playing.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Danya (05-20-2019)

Thanks
    Rubbed off the neosporin as well as I could. Took a quick picture. Sorry for having it as a link https://media.discordapp.net/attachm...449&height=598

P.S: Sorry for the low quality, he refused to stay still.
    Last edited by Danya; 05-20-2019 at 12:25 AM.
    I like noodles.

Thanks
    Not very close, but from "here" it's just a minor head rub. A tiny bit of Neosporin (what's left now) is just fine...but don't use (or keep using much) unless skin is
    broken*. (*that may be what you are calling a "rash" but I still can't see it, so...) Better to use on snake wounds is Vetericyn, it's a water-based topical antiseptic
    gel for use on snakes. (Neosporin is petroleum-based, that's what messes up scales if much is used.) You can also use a dab of Betadine.

Head rubs are fairly common, & can leave a scar that goes from pink, then to white, but may or may not fully go back to original color & scales. Should improve
    very gradually after many sheds, but prevent rubs if you can figure out what your snake is pushing on...often it's just the cage top though.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (05-20-2019)

Thanks

Re: Broken scale on BP's Head!!!

His enclosure has many things to rub on, and he is very active at night. I only have neosporin at the moment. Do you think his scale could heal on it's own, or would the extra medication be necessary? Thanks.
    I like noodles.

Thanks
    Ah, I see...your BP wants to be on the gymnastics team? From what I can see, you don't need to rush out for a different topical, but apply Neosporin
    very sparingly (use a Q tip, so it's only on that spot, & blot off any excess...oils tend to "travel" & you don't want to mess up his scales & future sheds); and
    re-apply as little as you can, a few more times, maybe every other day...after that, his future sheds should seal it up. But since he's restless in the cage, you
    might want to have the other stuff on hand anyway. I have a feeling you'll need it, & like I said, oil-based products play havoc with snakes shedding.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Danya (05-20-2019)

Thanks

Re: Broken scale on BP's Head!!!

He's definitely an athlete. The only way to calm him down is to feed him. I'll be very careful with the neosporin and will aply it in very small dosages. Thanks!
    I like noodles.

Thanks
    Good luck with your athlete...some snakes are like that (just like some kids, lol).

Just one thing though: are you sure his cage temps. aren't too hot? That's another thing that can make a snake very restless...discomfort with current temps.
    and the inability to get some relief. (it never hurts to check husbandry)