Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,327

0 members and 2,327 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Humidity and Feeding help

Coconut husk is better than cypress imo. It’s softer and can’t result in splinters. Ball pythons don’t need extremely high humidity although 30% is really low. I’d check your humidity gage as almost all homes/apartments are going to be over 30%.... Sounds like he ate quickly at first because he was stressed and the strike was defensive in nature. I’d let him completely settle in before feeding. Also, if you have a “reptile room” a humidifier might be worth the $30 investment. Even if he’s in your living room or bedroom higher humidity is better for us as well. I get nosebleeds if the humidity in my place gets too low Humid hides are another great option as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Craiga 01453 View Post
    I've been using glass for almost 20 years with success. There are plenty of tricks to boost humidity. Some have already been mentioned, but I'll echo them based on my experience.

Adding Coco coir substrate will go a long way. I use a blend of Eco Earth and Reptibark. It holds humidity well, spot cleans easily and looks naturalistic.

You've got plenty of room for a second water bowl too. Adding a second water bowl will definitely boost your humidity.

Lastly, I wrap my glass enclosures in 1/2" foam board insulation. I cover the top, back and sides. This helps immensely with heat and humidity control. It reduces air flow while still allowing plenty of oxygen to get in. It also holds heat in. This allows the heating equipment to run more efficiently. Less artificial heat = less evaporation = better humidity.
    This also helps to lower my electric bill since equipment is functioning more efficiently.
    I went with 3/4 in. which they sell at Home Depot, bundled up in plastic and it's pretty inexpensive. The depth was perfect, just had to cut the lengths on some pieces for my 40 gal. I also put it underneath since I don't use a uth. (My hides which are black plastic serve as uth's it seems. Gosh they get warm,very warm. I have to keep an eye on them with my temp gun. And set my thermostat's with them in mind as well as the ambient.)

I love the Styrofoam . Agree with all you just said about the heat, electric use and humidity. The pieces I put on top I wrapped up with saran wrap. Wrapped tightly around and taped. I put 3350 silver 3M tape on the edges which touches the heat light domes to keep the saran wrap safer from the heat of the domes ( they don't get hot enough to melt but I figure better safe than sorry.)

When i first cut the pieces I had also used the 3M tape to go around the sides of the Styrofoam. To keep pieces of Styrofoam from getting everywhere and then I used the tape to hold the styrofoam in place against the glass. (But there might be a better tape to use out there. I have to keep pushing the tape down to stick to the Styrofoam pieces.) But it does stick to the edges of the Styrofoam great for some reason.
    Last edited by ballpythonsrock2; 05-21-2019 at 10:42 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ballpythonsrock2 For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (05-21-2019)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ballpythonsrock2 View Post
    I went with 3/4 in. which they sell at Home Depot, bundled up in plastic and it's pretty inexpensive. The depth was perfect, just had to cut the lengths on some pieces for my 40 gal. I also put it underneath since I don't use a uth. (My hides which are black plastic serve as uth's it seems. Gosh they get warm,very warm. I have to keep an eye on them with my temp gun. And set my thermostat's with them in mind as well as the ambient.)

I love the Styrofoam . Agree with all you just said about the heat, electric use and humidity. The pieces I put on top I wrapped up with saran wrap. Wrapped tightly around and taped. I put 3350 silver 3M tape on the edges which touches the heat light domes to keep the saran wrap safer from the heat of the domes ( they don't get hot enough to melt but I figure better safe than sorry.)

When i first cut the pieces I had also used the 3M tape to go around the sides of the Styrofoam. To keep pieces of Styrofoam from getting everywhere and then I used the tape to hold the styrofoam in place against the glass. (But there might be a better tape to use out there. I have to keep pushing the tape down to stick to the Styrofoam pieces.) But it does stick to the edges of the Styrofoam great for some reason.
    Sounds great!!!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

ballpythonsrock2 (05-21-2019)

Thanks

Thanks for all the help! I have got a new probe for my hydrometer and even tho it wasn't ideal it was actually at 50%! And with his new humidity hide and added water I'm hoping it will get to where it needs to be. If I need to I will insulate

I do have one last question tho, he still hasn't pooped?
    I have found multiple little urate clumps while I spot clean and refill water but no poop and no actual pee the way he did the day I got him. Any ideas why or is it just bc his humidity wasn't ideal?
    He's eating small f/t rats every other week. Should I up to medium? (He's 3 ft, 10 years old, don't know his weight)

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by honey.bee. View Post
    Thanks for all the help! I have got a new probe for my hydrometer and even tho it wasn't ideal it was actually at 50%! And with his new humidity hide and added water I'm hoping it will get to where it needs to be. If I need to I will insulate

I do have one last question tho, he still hasn't pooped?
    I have found multiple little urate clumps while I spot clean and refill water but no poop and no actual pee the way he did the day I got him. Any ideas why or is it just bc his humidity wasn't ideal?
    He's eating small f/t rats every other week. Should I up to medium? (He's 3 ft, 10 years old, don't know his weight)

No, no need to go past smalls (50-89 gram) rats for a male.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ballpythonsrock2 View Post
    No, no need to go past smalls (50-89 gram) rats for a male.
    I ended up weighing him and he's a big boy at around 1000 grams. However not sure the exact weight bc he's wasn't cooperating too much.
    If he's not pooping does that mean he's using 100% of what he's eating, and is that good??

Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 575 Posts

I ended up weighing him and he's a big boy at around 1000 grams. However not sure the exact weight bc he's wasn't cooperating too much.
    If he's not pooping does that mean he's using 100% of what he's eating, and is that good??

I've got a 1400g and a 1000g male and both eat approx 60g rats every 2 weeks and they're just fine on that size.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

10. The Following User Says Thank You to pretends2bnormal For This Useful Post:

honey.bee. (05-22-2019)

Thanks

You can feed him larger (nothing with more girth than the snake) and feed him less frequently. Either method works and there’s no “right” way. Pick whatever works best for you and your animal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MarkL1561 For This Useful Post:

honey.bee. (05-23-2019)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12