Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,454

1 members and 2,453 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
    Thanks

New babies!!! But one question!

Just now welcomed my third so far healthy baby ball to the world! I have 3 more heads peeking out, but one egg seems to be a bit behind. It’s definitely alive but the veins are still there and still quite prominent. I’m on day 57 right now, I know technically it’s still within normal time frame. I’ve read eggs towards the top of the incubator hatch sooner, this was definitely the case with my clutch. But is it normal to have a baby ball that takes I mean like maybe 4-5 days longer to get to a hatch ready stage? How much did I really hinder him by having cut his egg, not knowing he was the only that was days behind- so I think? Like could I possibly just ruined his chances of surviving? The veins are still keeping him pretty squished isn’t the word I’m looking for... contained... I don’t know. At what point do I get concerned about a possible tied up umbilical cord like I don’t want to cut even more by worrying and make things worse but I also hope hes not suffering in there due to something having gone wrong. I’m sure someone knows what I’m attempting to ask

Edit: whoops title was deceiving cuz that turned into like 6 questions
    Last edited by timeakinga; 05-18-2019 at 02:20 AM.
    Mommy of 14
    Catch the fam on insta: @noooodlefam

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts

Re: New babies!!! But one question!

Everyone has their own methods based on experience. As for mine:
    Quote Originally Posted by timeakinga View Post
    I’m on day 57 right now
    I wouldn't cut anything until at least day 60 and only if the others had hatched already. Then I would just cut a small incision in the top of the egg and take a look. It is possible to do more harm than good.
    But is it normal to have a baby ball that takes I mean like maybe 4-5 days longer to get to a hatch ready stage?
    Yes, very common. I've seen a pair of eggs take weeks longer than the others.
    How much did I really hinder him by having cut his egg, not knowing he was the only that was days behind
    Depends on the stage of development - in the later stages it is likely that no harm was done (if cared for properly). I've experimented with cutting eggs in the later stages and my losses were minimal.
    Like could I possibly just ruined his chances of surviving?
    Yes, if it dries out in the egg or you nicked a vital blood vessel. Make sure to cover the cut egg with a clean paper towel that is moist (not dripping wet) with distilled​ water.
    At what point do I get concerned about a possible tied up umbilical cord
    I've been breeding for a decade. I have yet to see a tangled umbilical cord on a necropsy. I think a lot of people get confused (understandably) at the acceptable positioning of the umbilical cord because they have no frame of reference on a good egg. I'm told twisting/tangling tends to happen with people who move the eggs around during development (e.g. picking them up to candle or examine).
    *.* TNTC

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lord Sorril For This Useful Post:

timeakinga (05-18-2019)

Thanks

Re: New babies!!! But one question!

Thank you that is useful information! I will definitely do that! I was nervous to cut at all- only did after two of the babies had already pipped. I pipped two once I saw them. One of which is the egg I’m talking about. The other in the same egg box just hatched tonight. I let the rest of the clutch pip on its own which they did just fine. I don’t think I’m going to cut early again! Day 59 if eagerness gets the best of me but I’d rather not risk their health. Thank you!
    Mommy of 14
    Catch the fam on insta: @noooodlefam