Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,841

0 members and 2,841 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

"Rattlesnakes two hours apart pack totally different venoms" (from National Geo.)

With 2 current threads about rattlesnakes, here's an article I found very interesting, about how variable the venom can be for the SAME species of rattlesnake,
    found in nature just 2 hours apart in differing habitats...and some speculation as to the reason they have evolved this way.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/s...ferent-venoms/

BTW, I'm a former resident of Southern California who has been to these places, but fortunately with no bites.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 05-17-2019 at 11:04 PM.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (05-17-2019),Bodie (05-18-2019),fadingdaylight (05-18-2019),FollowTheSun (05-17-2019),Reinz (05-18-2019)

Thanks
    Hikers beware. Very interesting stuff here.
    - Jason

"Why should I fear what others fear? How ridiculous!" - Lao Tzu

Thanks

Re: "Rattlesnakes two hours apart pack totally different venoms" (from National Geo.

Quote Originally Posted by fadingdaylight View Post
    Hikers beware. Very interesting stuff here.
    For sure! It makes it very challenging for doctors treating a bite...even if you know what bit you, it might not matter. Fortunately they do get plenty of practice
    at Loma Linda (CA), & immediate symptoms should narrow it down.

Thanks

Re: "Rattlesnakes two hours apart pack totally different venoms" (from National Geo.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    For sure! It makes it very challenging for doctors treating a bite...even if you know what bit you, it might not matter. Fortunately they do get plenty of practice
    at Loma Linda (CA), & immediate symptoms should narrow it down.
    True, one person can't move and the other won't stop bleeding, but this is the kind of info that the average outdoorsman need to be aware of. If I were going out there, I would want to be well aware of which variety was going to be in my vicinity.

And the other one, 10x more likely to die, just one county over, that is terrifying. People need to be aware of this kind of thing, thank you for posting it.
    - Jason

6. The Following User Says Thank You to fadingdaylight For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-18-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fadingdaylight View Post
    True, one person can't move and the other won't stop bleeding, but this is the kind of info that the average outdoorsman need to be aware of. If I were going out there, I would want to be well aware of which variety was going to be in my vicinity.

And the other one, 10x more likely to die, just one county over, that is terrifying. People need to be aware of this kind of thing, thank you for posting it.
    I've known for many years that the venom varies in different populations of any given species of rattlesnakes, but I DIDN'T know the difference could be THIS profound.
    I'd imagine other areas with large differences in terrain (like New Mexico, for example) might also see this...but now I wonder about all the other areas too...maybe it's
    about more than just the landscape/elevation/etc. It's so amazing what natural selection can do. And I just want to add that even though their venom is dangerous, I've
    known many rattlesnakes & adore them. Many things in our world are dangerous...it's not paying attention that gets us in trouble. Please don't blame or hate rattlesnakes
    for having the means to capture & kill their food...it's not us they want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I've known for many years that the venom varies in different populations of any given species of rattlesnakes, but I DIDN'T know the difference could be THIS profound.
    I'd imagine other areas with large differences in terrain (like New Mexico, for example) might also see this...but now I wonder about all the other areas too...maybe it's
    about more than just the landscape/elevation/etc. It's so amazing what natural selection can do. And I just want to add that even though their venom is dangerous, I've
    known many rattlesnakes & adore them. Many things in our world are dangerous...it's not paying attention that gets us in trouble. Please don't blame or hate rattlesnakes
    for having the means to capture & kill their food...it's not us they want.
    I agree, I think the answer lies in education. If people were aware of this kind of info, and knew how to identify these snakes properly, they would be better equipped to avoid being bitten, hopefully protecting both the people and the snakes in the long run.
    - Jason

9. The Following User Says Thank You to fadingdaylight For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-18-2019)