Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,282

1 members and 3,281 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,534
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,813 Times in 492 Posts

How do YOU recruit reptile-sitters?

What it says on the tin.

I'm interesting in hearing how people find, recruit, or otherwise secure their reptile-sitters when they're away for extended periods of time. Do you rely on the "family pet-sitting service," call in a fellow herp-keeping friend, or take a third option? I'm particularly interested in hearing from people with larger snakes (ex. boas) or more high-maintenance herps (ex. chameleons).

Sound off y'all!
    0.1 Sonoran Boa sigma​: "Adelita" ('19 Hypo het. leopard)
    1.0 Boa imperator longicauda: "Kuzco" ('19 het. anery)
    0.1 West Papuan Morelia spilota​: "Pandora" ('20)

Thanks
    Not much helpful advice to offer but interested in this as well. I have family and friends who can care for my snake if I'm away right now, but I may eventually move somewhere new where I don't know people who would be okay with looking after a slithery friend for a few weeks and this is something I worry about a bit.

My current plan is to board with a reptile savvy vet if that problem ever becomes a reality.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Luvyna For This Useful Post:

WrongPython (10-19-2019)

Thanks

Re: How do YOU recruit reptile-sitters?

I just so happen to be one of those lucky people who has a friend near by that can care for mine if I'm out of town. He breeds carpets and has been -along with this site- a mentor to me when I first got into reptiles. I cared for his entire collection for a week over the summer while he was on vacation so him caring for mine would be no big deal.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,020 Times in 465 Posts
    How long are you planning to be gone? I couldn't imagine being gone longer than a week or two, so no feeding would be an absolute necessity. I would be monitoring temp / humidity remotely, and if that needed adjustment, I would call a friend (who I gave a key) and walk them through what needs to be done.
    Start your own dubia roach colony with Roach Rancher!

Instagram - @AliceAnaconda

0.1.0 Cat "Anna"
    -----
    1.1.0 Emerald Tree Boa "Amanda & Samantha"
    0.1.0 Merauke Scrub Python "Victoria"
    0.1.0 Titanium Reticulated Python "Alice"
    1.0.0 Eastern Indigo
    -----
    0.0.4 Alligator Snapping Turtle "Deborah"
    0.0.2 Florida Snapping Turtles
    0.0.1 Cuvier's Dwarf Caiman "Caroline"
    0.0.1 100% Het Black Dragon Asian Water Monitor
    -----
    0.0.1 Antilles Pink Toe Tarantula "Katherine"

6. The Following User Says Thank You to wnateg For This Useful Post:

WrongPython (10-20-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wnateg View Post
    How long are you planning to be gone? I couldn't imagine being gone longer than a week or two, so no feeding would be an absolute necessity. I would be monitoring temp / humidity remotely, and if that needed adjustment, I would call a friend (who I gave a key) and walk them through what needs to be done.
    How do you monitor temperatures and humidity remotely? This sounds super helpful.

While not feeding for 2 weeks wouldn't be a problem, one of my big concerns would be if my BP accidentally knocked over his water bowl or something and no one knew about it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,020 Times in 465 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Luvyna View Post
    How do you monitor temperatures and humidity remotely? This sounds super helpful.

While not feeding for 2 weeks wouldn't be a problem, one of my big concerns would be if my BP accidentally knocked over his water bowl or something and no one knew about it.
    My option) setup the thermometer and hygrometer so you can watch them from this camera (night vision) https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07MG...b_b_asin_title (added benefit of watching the snake too)
    Fancy option) https://www.amazon.com/SensorPush-Wi...dp/B01AEQ9X9I/
    Last edited by wnateg; 10-19-2019 at 11:59 PM.
    Start your own dubia roach colony with Roach Rancher!

Instagram - @AliceAnaconda

0.1.0 Cat "Anna"
    -----
    1.1.0 Emerald Tree Boa "Amanda & Samantha"
    0.1.0 Merauke Scrub Python "Victoria"
    0.1.0 Titanium Reticulated Python "Alice"
    1.0.0 Eastern Indigo
    -----
    0.0.4 Alligator Snapping Turtle "Deborah"
    0.0.2 Florida Snapping Turtles
    0.0.1 Cuvier's Dwarf Caiman "Caroline"
    0.0.1 100% Het Black Dragon Asian Water Monitor
    -----
    0.0.1 Antilles Pink Toe Tarantula "Katherine"

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wnateg For This Useful Post:

Luvyna (10-20-2019),WrongPython (10-20-2019)

Thanks
    Great resources, thank you! Going to look into getting something like that installed.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I have dogs and cats so my friend who watches them will also keep an eye out on the reptiles. For the snajes, she will not be spot cleaning or doing anything other than to look into the cage to see if they are still alive; and to do a weekly water bowl refill/clean. For the lizards, same thing except the beardie gets a salad every other day or so.

My local reptile stores can board your reptiles while you are gone. However, I don't like the way they keep the animals (ie calcium sand for beardies), and while I'm not the most fond of vet boarding, I would probably have no choice to board my reptiles with my vet. Outside boarding is the last option if for some reason I must leave them unattended for more than 3 weeks. If I ever have to be gone that long and that frequently, I think rehoming rather than boarding would be for the animals' best interest so they won't be stressed out and consistently moved around.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Cheesenugget For This Useful Post:

WrongPython (10-20-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,813 Times in 492 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wnateg View Post
    Thankfully I don't have anything longer than weekend trips coming up in the foreseeable future, if that's what you're asking! This is more of an exercise in prudence so I can (a) plan for future trips that crop up and (b) determine if some of the species on my want list are right for my lifestyle. My trip to the Hamburg Expo yesterday confirmed which snake is next up (following a year or so of earning my spurs with Adelita) and nailed down which two lizard species I'd like to keep (knowing me, the first lizard may come home sooner rather than later), so it's time for me to plan ahead.

It's funny that you mentioned remote monitoring, wnateg. My family and I were joking about me setting up a Nest camera facing Adelita's enclosure so I could watch her when I'm away from home, but it seems as though that may not be such a far-fetched idea after all!
    0.1 Sonoran Boa sigma​: "Adelita" ('19 Hypo het. leopard)
    1.0 Boa imperator longicauda: "Kuzco" ('19 het. anery)
    0.1 West Papuan Morelia spilota​: "Pandora" ('20)

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WrongPython For This Useful Post:

Team Slytherin (10-20-2019),wnateg (10-20-2019)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    I don't have a lot to add, unfortunately I never go far for long, hahahha. My broke butt can't afford vacations and my job doesn't require any travel...

But I wanted to just pop in and say great thread topic!

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-20-2019),NewmanLovesSnakes (10-20-2019),WrongPython (10-20-2019)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast