Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,803

2 members and 2,801 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero

View Poll Results: I cannot wait for...

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Driverless Cars

3 23.08%
  • Flying Cars

5 38.46%
  • I still love Hybrids and Electrics

1 7.69%
  • All of the above

1 7.69%
  • Some other kinda car

3 23.08%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts

What Kind Of Car Are You Most Excited For?

what kind of futuristic car do u wanna see most? do flying cars get u excited? how about driverless cars?

for me, it's flying cars. it's the only thing i have ever wanted to see in my lifetime before i die is flying cars. (besides the Game of Thrones final season and finale for which i have to stay alive until this Sunday night.) this is supposed to be the future and i have been waiting all my life to zip and zoom around in the sky in a personal vehicle. well we just got a bit closer b/c tech and transport company Lilium just unveiled their flying taxi.

story: https://www.engadget.com/2019/05/16/...x-PMB54Xo-H7XI
    Lilium's latest flying taxi prototype can at least hover
    It could carry 5 passengers 185 miles with no emissions.

There are a number of flying taxi startups out there, but Lilium has stood out with its unique airplane-like design and serious aeronautical cred. Now, the company has unveiled an all-new prototype and flaunted the first successful tests with the craft. In a video, it shows the craft taking off vertically, hovering just above the ground and then landing, complete with the de rigueur employee cheering and hollering.

Lilium's new prototype has an oval cabin and 36 electric jet engines fitted on the wings and tail (the tail is actually a smaller wing, but let's call it a tail). They tilt up during takeoff, then forward as the craft transitions into horizontal flight. Each motor has just a single moving part, the company said, and there are no propellers or rudder.

The aircraft's big trick is that it can take off vertically like a drone, but then use its wings for lift like an airplane. That enables it to cruise faster at up to 300 km/hour (186 mph) using just 10 percent of the 2,000 horsepower on tap. At the same time, it can operate for a full hour with a total range of 186 miles, a lot more than EHang's drone-like craft, for instance. It also beats other tilt-rotor designs from Airbus and Bell/Uber in speed and range, at least on paper.

The aircraft will have autonomous flying capability, but Lilium plans to have a human pilot onboard, as well. The company believes that will make it easier to pass the notoriously difficult aircraft certification tests. It's currently trying to get approval from the European Aviation Safety Agency, and will pursue FAA certification later on.

The aircraft will be able to carry 5 passengers and their luggage, along with the pilot. To get an on-demand flight, you'll be able to use Lilium's Uber-like app. The company told the Verge that it plans to offer offer flights from midtown Manhattan to JFK airport in 10 minutes for about $70.

The short hop might not look too impressive, but it's the first step in a more comprehensive testing program. Lilium has already run full tests of its previous 2-seater Eagle prototype that include take-off, horizontal flight and landing. The company is hoping to launch the jet into commercial service by 2025.
    more here:https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/16/1...aft-flying-car
    and here: https://www.wired.com/story/lilium-e...rst-flight-jet

i find this super exciting.
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ax01 For This Useful Post:

Danger noodles (05-16-2019)

Thanks
    koenigsegg jesko

- - - Updated - - -

Elon musk said the future to fast transportation is underground. Way to much safety hazard and noisy to go into the air. But we’ll see I guess

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Re: What Kind Of Car Are You Most Excited For?

Why not teleportation? Poof and you are there. Mostly anyways..... hope not mixed with some random thing in the transporter..... ok so will settle for flying cars.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Skyrivers For This Useful Post:

fadingdaylight (05-17-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Skyrivers View Post
    Why not teleportation? Poof and you are there. Mostly anyways..... hope not mixed with some random thing in the transporter..... ok so will settle for flying cars.
    Transpotation really can’t be done due to what happens is it kills u and makes another copy of u. Maybe it can happen with objects one day but I don’t think it will ever happen with anything living.

also a flying car is been invented a long time ago, it’s called an airplane. Simple as that. I think once it’s built driving ur car into a tunnel where it’s in a Capsule that magnetically hovers and it sends u 300 mph anywhere u want to go is the future. I don’t want to fly around with the people that are in cars around Houston. U will die for sure

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Danger noodles For This Useful Post:

AlexisFitzy (09-21-2019),Bogertophis (05-16-2019)

Thanks
    Also driverless cars is a thing. It’s going to happen and it’s already out there. In 20 years it will be hard to buy a car with a steering wheel or a gas engine

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    I miss good old fashioned American muscle. For the most part, I think todays cars are ugly. Give me cars and trucks from the 50s, 60s and 70s all day.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

fadingdaylight (05-17-2019),Skyrivers (05-17-2019)

Thanks
    As someone who doesn't drive, I'd love a driverless car, it would be perfect for me.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Valyndris For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-16-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,816 Times in 11,840 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Valyndris View Post
    As someone who doesn't drive, I'd love a driverless car, it would be perfect for me.
    I'd love one too. I drive, but it's never been my "thing", only something I have to do, & I sure don't love freeways either, after living in So Cal for so long. I would
    rather be a passenger any day.

Also, I wouldn't mind an electric car...better for environment & quieter, & even with limitations it would be ok for someone like me, as long as it has enough carrying
    capacity as I've got dogs that need to go to the vet, & I transport other sizable things too. I don't see owning one of these miniature cars that will turn into road pizza
    versus all the SUVs & big trucks on the road. The only thing that stops me from buying an electric car right now is that my Nissan doesn't have a lot of miles on it, &
    never gives me any trouble, & since I don't drive around a lot, it makes little difference environmentally & is cheap to run. Paid for is also nice, as is having a car that's
    old enough & plain enough not to be a theft magnet, & one that doesn't cost a lot to insure. I'm afraid I'm terribly boring & practical...No interest in a sports car...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I'm afraid I'm terribly boring & practical...No interest in a sports car...
    I dunno......I’ll bet a ride in a modern pony car would change your mind.

The only vehicle I'm looking forward to that I can afford is the 2021 Ford Bronco. I’ll jump on the SUV bandwagon if it looks like the concept photos.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,816 Times in 11,840 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SVT Wylde View Post
    I dunno......I’ll bet a ride in a modern pony car would change your mind. ...
    Naw, you'd lose that bet. I don't have a "need for speed". I've been around others who did (on land & air) & had my fill.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast