Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,841

2 members and 2,839 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Jill needs some help!

I picked up a pair of dwarf boas at March Tinley this year and they started off great! For the first 4 weeks I had them they both ate a f/t mouse hopper every Thursday and I had them in 6 qt tubs. After the 4 weeks I moved them into 15 qt tubs since those wouldn't need lids in the rack. That was 7 weeks ago and my male still slams his hopper every week. Jill on the other hand, she stopped eating as soon as I did that. After about 3 or 4 weeks of her not eating I moved her back into the 6qt tub and still no luck. I've tried mouse pinkies and hoppers and just recently a rat fuzzy and still nothing. She doesn't even seem interested. She's 56 grams today and like an idiot I didn't weigh her when I got her and I've barely touched her since she's not eating so im not sure if she's lost any weight but she doesn't look thin or anything. Hot spot is 90-92 and ambient side is 79-81. Im at a total loss here and im freaking out since today has been 7 weeks since she's eaten and she's only 9 months old! Thank you if you've read all this and I really appreciate any help offered.

Thanks
    I would try a lot of things.
    The first I would try is to get a small box that she fits in. Put her in for 5 minutes alone closed. Then open the box, drop a prey and close it back. Leave it alone for 40 minutes. Check back.

Thanks

Re: Jill needs some help!

She's in a 6 qt tub now with a lid so it's already pretty small. I've left the mouse in there for up to an hour before and nothing. I feel like moving her to a smaller box just for feeding would stress her out even more and negate the whole process.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Toad37 For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (05-23-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts
    Since she's on f/t, put the warmed up hopper into her tub at dusk, close her up, walk away, and don't check her until morning.

If she has a hide in the tub and she's under it, leave the feeder just at the entrance to the hide.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (05-23-2019),Toad37 (05-23-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Have you tried talking to the breeder you got them from?

I am not familiar with these specifically, but the temps. seem high to me for boas...while that is the range you want for BPs, are you sure they apply to this species?
    (I realize the male is eating, but as with all creatures, some are more forgiving than others)

Did they come with a feeding record? If so, how many meals prior to their sale to you, & of what?

Have you checked the female over physically, say for abnormal swelling in the lower third of the body. (could she be blocked up? maybe a swim/soak would help?)
    While eating, did they both defecate?

Have you been handling them? if so, how much?
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 05-23-2019 at 01:13 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Toad37 (05-23-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Have you tried talking to the breeder you got them from?

I am not familiar with these specifically, but the temps. seem high to me for boas...while that is the range you want for BPs, are you sure they apply to this species?
    (I realize the male is eating, but as with all creatures, some are more forgiving than others)

Did they come with a feeding record? If so, how many meals prior to their sale to you, & of what?

Have you checked the female over physically, say for abnormal swelling in the lower third of the body. (could she be blocked up? maybe a swim/soak would help?)
    While eating, did they both defecate?

Have you been handling them? if so, how much?
    According to Vin Russo's book on boas all the temps are about what they should be but I could lower them if that's what needs to be done. I haven't contacted the breeder yet because I wasn't sure when you start worrying nor did I get a feeding log. This was my first breeder buy so I was kind if ignorant to the protocols. I have looked at her and visually I don't see anything wrong but im not above taking her to a vet and getting her checked out. The male has pooped but once again in my ignorance I wasn't tracking poops since I've had so much luck with everything else. I've since started logging everyone's sheds, feeds, urates, and poops. I will handle the male since he doesn't seem to have any issues but other than taking Jill out of her tub for cleaning I try not to touch her because I don't want to stress her out.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Toad37 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-23-2019)

Thanks
    Well I'd sure listen to Vin Russo for the temps. etc....as I said, I'm not specifically familiar with these, it was just a thought.

Not sure a vet will see anything that you cannot, and that adds more stress, so it wouldn't be something I'd do without obvious reason, like an RI.

So you're not sure she has ever defecated then? am I reading this right? Between being in a small cage & not moving around much (hiding) maybe this is why
    she's not eating? In the wild, with a predator (you) lurking about, perhaps her instinct is to wait until it (you) leaves? Again, just a guess... I mean, hiding from
    predators & fasting as needed is what snakes do. Maybe she is just way more shy than the male?

I'm just helping you brainstorm, I don't "know" for sure what the answer is...but trying to see it from her perspective.

She needs "assertiveness training", lol...
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 05-23-2019 at 02:36 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Toad37 (05-23-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Well I'd sure listen to Vin Russo for the temps. etc....as I said, I'm not specifically familiar with these, it was just a thought.

Not sure a vet will see anything that you cannot, and that adds more stress, so it wouldn't be something I'd do without obvious reason, like an RI.

So you're not sure she has ever defecated then? am I reading this right? Between being in a small cage & not moving around much (hiding) maybe this is why
    she's not eating? In the wild, with a predator (you) lurking about, perhaps her instinct is to wait until it (you) leaves? Again, just a guess... I mean, hiding from
    predators & fasting as needed is what snakes do. Maybe she is just way more shy than the male?

I'm just helping you brainstorm, I don't "know" for sure what the answer is...but trying to see it from her perspective.

She needs "assertiveness training", lol...
    I want to say I remember she has but like I said I wasn't logging any of this so I don't want to say for certain. I know for sure I've cleaned up urate from her but im not sure about feces. Lesson learned there for sure. She has a hide in the tub and some vine clutter to make her feel more secure? In the bigger tub it was just the hide and water bowl but like I said she ate 4 time's(weeks) in a row for me and today makes 8 weeks since she hasn't. A friend of mine said not to worry until 9 weeks cuz that's how long it takes to lose body mass? He's owned reptiles for a long time so I trust his opinion I just thought I'd ask here too. Im only ever in the room they're in twice a day. Once in the morning to check temps and such and same thing at night. Every once in a while I'll go in there to grab one to take out and handle but it's never more than a couple seconds so there's almost no traffic in the room she's in.
    I know going off feed and fasting is very common I just wasn't sure if 8 weeks now is too long for a 9 month old boa.
    Last edited by Toad37; 05-23-2019 at 03:08 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Toad37 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-23-2019)

Thanks
    It seems odd to me for a young boa but again, I haven't worked with dwarf boas at all, & I have a hunch they're more delicate (reclusive)? Small species almost
    have to be, to survive. And don't feel bad, I don't typically "track" defecations either, I just wondered if you happened to remember. I think she is instinctively
    maximizing nutrient absorption before being forced to face the "brave new world" and get more food, & obviously she wasn't ready for the larger cage when you
    thought you were doing a good thing. Hopefully she'll eat again soon for you but meanwhile, don't offer food too often. Maybe if you can "stand" to wait 2 weeks
    now ("tough love"), it would help her feel the urgency?

Another thing: where are these from? Does it rain much there? I wonder if these are snakes that tend to hunt more right after a rain? You might try spraying
    (misting heavily) some night & then offer? Can't hurt to try "something different" if what you're doing isn't working...unless someone else that has experience with
    these specifically can chime in to the contrary??? (what humidity do these require on a day to day basis?)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Toad37 (05-23-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,484 Times in 2,683 Posts

I wouldn't worry just yet either. These animals can go a very long time without eating, even the young ones. I usually like to give my boas a hot spot of about 86-88 but 90 isn't too hot as long as they have a cooler area. How are you thawing and presenting the prey and how often are you attempting to feed? Could the animal be preparing to shed? I'd keep offering food every 10-14 days until she starts to eat again. You may have to leave the prey in overnight if she doesn't take it from the tongs. If she hits the 12 week mark I'd try a live prey item. Keep us posted on your progress please.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (05-23-2019),Toad37 (05-23-2019)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast