Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,295

2 members and 3,293 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts

Re: Help With Morph Identification

Quote Originally Posted by Hiss 'n Vinegar View Post
    I’m disheartened to hear that the Clown seems to be only a single gene, albeit a nice one. After Ax gave their opinion on him, I sent a picture to a well trusted breeder who also said he didn’t believe him to be Vanilla. I’m concerned because I paid a good price for him, so I’m uncertain of how I should proceed contacting the person I purchased him from, or if I should at all? If he’s not Vanilla, I well overpaid for him. I genuinely believed he was as advertised, but now I wish I would have gotten more opinions before buying him. Hard lessons to learn, I suppose.
    the only way to guarantee he has Vanilla is if he came from a Super Vanilla Clown or Super Vanilla het Clown. the breeder can also guarantee that as part of their policy (like how they may guarantee other things like live arrival, health and sex) and if they did, u could hold them to it if he doesn't prove out. butt can u wait that long? do u want to try? how many times? maybe the breeder has a time limit of their sales and guarantee. maybe they might not be in business by the time u hatch some eggs. just know that u may hurt their ego and/or u may have to return the Clown boy as a possibility. or maybe u can work something else out. i don't have the best advice on this and these are just my rambling thoughts.
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ax01 For This Useful Post:

Hiss 'n Vinegar (05-17-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,186 Times in 695 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hiss 'n Vinegar View Post
    Thank you, rufretic! She is a beautiful girl and I’m excited to see what her offspring will look like when I’m able to breed her. So far it seems she’s just a cool Dinker project, but I’m very happy with that.

I don’t think her morph is Special, since she’s so dark and her pattern doesn’t match up, but that was a good idea to look into, AbsoluteApril. Thank you for the suggestion!

I’m disheartened to hear that the Clown seems to be only a single gene, albeit a nice one. After Ax gave their opinion on him, I sent a picture to a well trusted breeder who also said he didn’t believe him to be Vanilla. I’m concerned because I paid a good price for him, so I’m uncertain of how I should proceed contacting the person I purchased him from, or if I should at all? If he’s not Vanilla, I well overpaid for him. I genuinely believed he was as advertised, but now I wish I would have gotten more opinions before buying him. Hard lessons to learn, I suppose.

Thank you for your guys’ input, I really appreciate all of you replying to this thread. You’ve helped me a lot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll give you my opinion at least. This is a tough situation because imo, the breeder did nothing wrong, as long as you recieved the animal that you paid for, vanilla is a visual morph so if you looked at the animal, liked what you saw and agreed to pay for it, then it's a fair price if the animal has the vanilla or not. All a breeder can do is make their best judgment. They have the parents and siblings to make that judgment. Without having the siblings side by side I would not say it's a sure thing to be just clown and even with that comparison with some morphs it's just a judgement call. For example, my clown hatchlings were brighter than yours when they hatched but now after a year they have darkened so now they are darker than yours, depending on yours age, could that be an vanilla identifier or is yours just a brighter clown? Hard to say.

So imo you should trust the breeder rather than people online and don't buy something unless you trust your breeder and like what you see. I don't think there is any action to be taken now other than to breed him and prove it out or just be happy with a beautiful animal.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rufretic For This Useful Post:

Hiss 'n Vinegar (05-17-2019),Lord Sorril (05-17-2019)

Registered User Hiss 'n Vinegar's Avatar
    Thanks

You guys both give solid advice, thank you. I’m not really certain what approach I’ll take, but I’ll check to see if the breeder guarantees the genetics either way. I absolutely see the validity behind your points, rufretic. It is a visual morph and I did have ample time to examine the photos of him before I made the purchase. So I can agree with why you’d think the price is fair regardless if he proves Vanilla or not. But in the same breath, I did trust the breeder to properly advertise the animals that were for sale, and if he doesn’t prove out to be what he was sold as, I didn’t really get what I paid for either. Which was more than I would have paid for a single gene Clown otherwise.

I suppose this is one of the downfalls to breeding; the uncertainty of the morphs the offspring actually carry. I’m certain the breeder had the best of intentions, and it’s also possible the snake I purchased actually is a Vanilla as claimed- possibly a lower expression one.

I’ll likely just end up breeding him to prove him out without contacting the breeder. I had plans for him, so I really hope he is what I bought him as. Though the person I got a second opinion from immediately said he did not believe him to be anything special, and that’s coming from a breeder who is very well established. We shall see.

I didn’t expect this thread to turn out as it has, but live and learn, I suppose haha! Thank you again Ax and rufretic! You are a tremendous help.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Hiss 'n Vinegar For This Useful Post:

rufretic (05-19-2019)

Thanks

I'd be the first to admit that I'm NOT good at morph id but the white lower markings of the dark one made me thing of a low white calico. Please don't laugh at me, Is that even a possibility?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to B.P.'s 4me For This Useful Post:

Hiss 'n Vinegar (05-19-2019)

Registered User Hiss 'n Vinegar's Avatar
    Thanks

I’ve never considered Calico before! I’m honestly so focused on her darker color, I don’t much think of her white sides. I’ll have to try and compare her to some Calicos and see if she matches any

Thanks

Sorry I realize this is an older thread but I stumbled across it and I believe I have the clutch mate to your het clown you are trying to figure out. This is my male which I purchased as a female but things happen When I purchased I was told het clown but he thinks hidden gene woma and possible leopard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12