Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,889

1 members and 2,888 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered User Hiss 'n Vinegar's Avatar
    Thanks

Help With Morph Identification

Hello! This is my first post, so I’m hoping I’m doing everything correctly here. I’d like to get some clarification on the morphs of two of my Ball Pythons. I wasn’t sure if I was allowed to make separate posts, so I lumped the two together to be safe.

For the first snake, I purchased him as a Vanilla Clown, though the breeder believes him to be Yellow Belly as well. I was hoping to see if anyone here saw indication of that as well? He has nice flames along the sides, but his belly is a bit “dirty.” I’m not certain if every YB has a pure white belly though. When he’s old enough, I have a Pastel Yellow Belly female I plan to breed him to in order to prove him out. That may be the only way to be sure, but I thought I’d get other’s opinions as well.

As for the second snake, she was sold to me as a “Something Special” Het Clown. My first impression was in the vein of Leopard. When I inquired about this “special” trait, the breeder was very vague and even after purchasing her, never actually told me what he believed her to be. I purchased her regardless at an excellent price and won’t regret the decision even if she’s a fancy Normal. I do believe she’s something more though. She’s pretty dark, more so in person than in the pictures, and her pattern seems different to a Normal’s. Does she look like one of the established morphs? A possible Dinker project? Or simply a nicer than most Normal?

Either way, I’m very happy with both snakes, I would just like to have a better understanding of what they are. Thank you all in advance, it’s much appreciated. I apologize for the post being longer than intended!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts
    i'm very inclined to say that u just have a regular Clown. if he had Vanilla, he would be lighter and if there was YB, much brighter. i still hope he proves out for u tho. that "Something Special" het Clown kinda looks GHI'ish to me. the breeder u got them from seems unnecessarily unsure, vague and secretive. u should just pair that Clown boy to both your Pastel YB and the "Something Special" het Clown to see what hatches.

Edit: also don't worry about how many posts or threads u make. post fearlessly.
    Last edited by Ax01; 05-16-2019 at 03:00 PM.
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Ax01 For This Useful Post:

Hiss 'n Vinegar (05-16-2019)

Thanks

Re: Help With Morph Identification

Thank you for your input, it’s much appreciated! I hadn’t considered the possibility that the Clown wasn’t Vanilla; the breeder seems reputable and his pattern seemed too reduced for just a normal Clown. I’ll post a better picture of him for reference. When he’s breed ready, I already have two females chosen for him, the Pastel YB as well as a SuperFly 66% Het Clown. I was hoping for some possible Vanilla Scream Clowns, but if there is doubt on the Vanilla part, I guess I’ll be proving this male out for two possible genes. If he seems up to it in the future, I may pair the “special” one to him as well, if it doesn’t seem overwhelming for him to breed three females at one time.

Just to clarify, these two snakes came from different breeders. I’m only uncertain about the integrity of the unidentified snake’s breeder, because he was so vague about her genetics. I haven’t been given reason to doubt the Clown’s breeder. I should have probably said that from the get go, my apologies.

GHI is an interesting guess! I hadn’t considered it, because I didn’t think her pattern matched the usual look of it. I’m excited to eventually breed her and see what she produces!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts
    ^ i don't see anything in your Clown's colors - lightness or brightness. the flames u are referring to are also called tear drops and seem within the variation. i just see a nice, reduced pattern Clown but that is my opinion and i could be wrong. maybe others will chime in. how does he compare to the rest of his clutch?

the neck dorsal and skinny high pattern your 2nd snake reminds me of GHI. i looks too clean tho and even tho it is a dark snake, the colors still seem kinda off. i'm sure it's the het influence and this is just a cool dinker.

either way, it sounds like u have great plans and projects.
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ax01 For This Useful Post:

rufretic (05-17-2019),Sonny1318 (05-16-2019)

Thanks

Compared to one of his YB Clown siblings, they share the same overall color and brightness. The only difference is mine has a much more reduced pattern. Another of his siblings was a Pastel Vanilla Clown, which had an extremely similar reduced pattern, but a more dramatic head stamp. I don’t feel comfortable posting the breeder’s photos, but I have compared the clutch mates to one another.

I’m just hoping whatever she’s got going on passes to her offspring, I adore her dark color. She’s stumped me from the get go haha.

Thank you, I’m hoping to produce some cool combos one of these days!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,186 Times in 695 Posts
    I agree with everything Ax said. I looked at the pics before anyone responded and literally was going to say the same thing, cool that I'm not the only one that your drinker reminds of ghi, I don't think the color is right for ghi, but I love the pattern and instantly thought ghi. Really cool dinker project in my opinion, she's really different and beautiful.

As for the clown, I'm not good at spotting yb in combos but I see nothing but a reduced clown. I've seen a lot of reduced clowns, some were blade clown but I've seen many straight clowns that were just as reduced as blade clowns.

Both are nice additions imo, congrats!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to rufretic For This Useful Post:

Hiss 'n Vinegar (05-17-2019)

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts
    Could the "special" be a special?
    Special is a morph in BPs (I cannot ID it though, sorry)
    For the Horde!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

Hiss 'n Vinegar (05-17-2019)

Thanks

I'm sorry, this is completely unrelated but, I'm new to this site and I can't figure out how to post a thread lol. Do you need a paid subscription to do so or am I just having a difficult time finding the add thread button?

Thanks

Thank you, rufretic! She is a beautiful girl and I’m excited to see what her offspring will look like when I’m able to breed her. So far it seems she’s just a cool Dinker project, but I’m very happy with that.

I don’t think her morph is Special, since she’s so dark and her pattern doesn’t match up, but that was a good idea to look into, AbsoluteApril. Thank you for the suggestion!

I’m disheartened to hear that the Clown seems to be only a single gene, albeit a nice one. After Ax gave their opinion on him, I sent a picture to a well trusted breeder who also said he didn’t believe him to be Vanilla. I’m concerned because I paid a good price for him, so I’m uncertain of how I should proceed contacting the person I purchased him from, or if I should at all? If he’s not Vanilla, I well overpaid for him. I genuinely believed he was as advertised, but now I wish I would have gotten more opinions before buying him. Hard lessons to learn, I suppose.

Thank you for your guys’ input, I really appreciate all of you replying to this thread. You’ve helped me a lot!

Thanks

jo_boyer, on the Tapatalk app you just hit the “New Topic” button in the top right hand corner. I’m not sure how you do so on the website itself, but the app is very useful, especially in sharing photos. You may looking into using it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast