Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,177

2 members and 3,175 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Too much substrate

Can too much substrate throw off temps? I have about an inch of substrate. I have my UTH under a 20g glass tank. The thermostat probe is sandwiched between the glass and UTH mat. I have the thermostat cranked almost to 100° because the glass surface is just reaching 86. But if I check temperature over the substrate and not directly on the glass, it's only reading 82. So my snake is laying on a layer of substrate that's only 82°. What happens if he burrows himself and touches with his belly the 86° glass? Will that cause damage?

I don't know why this thermostat is not bumping my temp to desired 90°. I put it to 100 so the heat can travel thru the glass, but it's not. This temp thing is stressing, lol.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts
    You already answered your own question..."too much substrate".

When substrate is deep, it is functioning as insulation, keeping the heat out. Substrates aren't all the same...those lighter w/ more air gaps allow more heat
    to rise, while denser ones resist it. (for example, large nuggets of orchid bark has lots of spaces between, where heat can rise.)

Thanks

Re: Too much substrate

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    You already answered your own question..."too much substrate".

When substrate is deep, it is functioning as insulation, keeping the heat out. Substrates aren't all the same...those lighter w/ more air gaps allow more heat
    to rise, while denser ones resist it. (for example, large nuggets of orchid bark has lots of spaces between, where heat can rise.)
    🤔 so it is possible that I have too much substrate. What about the fact that the thermostat is cranked all the way up and the glass temp is only reaching at most 86? Can it be a faulty thermostat? It's a Zilla thermostat.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts

Re: Too much substrate

Quote Originally Posted by Red357 View Post
    🤔 so it is possible that I have too much substrate. What about the fact that the thermostat is cranked all the way up and the glass temp is only reaching at most 86? Can it be a faulty thermostat? It's a Zilla thermostat.

Never hurts to find a second way to double-check the temps. -and yes, what matters is what the temperature is inside the cage, on the floor with the substrate pushed
    back, where your snake could make contact if it chose to. 86* there should be fine. You just want to make sure it's not over 90*, & 88* is probably safer.

Don't know what you're using for substrate but if it's dense, then yeah, you probably need less of it, at least over the UTH, so the t-stat doesn't need to be cranked up.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Red357 (05-16-2019)