Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,755

0 members and 2,755 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mice vs Rats

Thanks

Re: Mice vs Rats

Based on the responses I think I’ll try getting a rat next time I need to stock up on F/T food and see if Kaa will take one. She *has* eaten a few rats in the past, but always acts a little like it’s a chore compared to the mice. If she’s not interested I won’t worry about it too much(:

Thanks for all the feedback so far!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Maddlesrain View Post
    I’m 100% not sure about the gender, I just say she since I always have. I’m not really too concerned with that - I do think that “she” is still growing though because her had is so small whereas all the more mature snakes I see have such big faces.

That’s actually why I made this thread, to see if a diet of mice somehow stunted or considerably slowed a snake’s growth.

^^ also could be a male based on the head size haha!
    I just always say she.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 575 Posts

Just for fun, I did some digging with the data and wanted to share.

From the link I posted before from RodentPro, I compared using the data the differences between the multiple mice & single rat assuming equivalent weights of each prey for small rats (60g) just to have concrete numbers of actual intake. (It would scale linearly for mice since it is per item and adult mice all fall into the same category of measurements from this data)

Both appear to be fairly close overall for most things. Fat/protein aren't different enough that I would think it is problematic nutritionally to feed mice as a staple for a pet.

Rats are higher in protein by approximately 0.06g of protein per gram of rat. (works out to about 3.6g more protein in a rat than a mouse at 60g.) Both still maintain > 50% protein by weight. 37.08g protein in a rat vs 33.48g protein in 2 30g mice.

Rats have nearly 25% more fat (potentially necessary for egg development or building fat stores in breeders, not sure in pets). This being 19.5g vs 14.1g on 60g of prey.

Rats have more energy (kcal) total in the prey than mice. 382 vs 315.

But.. this was a surprise.

Mice have SUBSTANTIALLY more vitamin A (associated with eye and skin health). 60g rat has 9,083. 2x 30g mice would have 34,613. (In international units. From the table as IU/kg)

Mice also have higher calcium and phosphorus amounts in the same weight. 60g of mice has 1.788g and 1.032g of each, whereas rats have 1.57g and 0.89g of each. Working out to a 1.73:1 ratio for mice and a 1.77:1 ratio for rats (In insectivores, I think the desired ratio is 2:1 when supplementing). So they have higher calcium, but not quite as much higher phosphorus resulting in the lower ratio.

It seems like mice fed instead of rats may help with providing more calcium for females going to lay eggs during the development stages due to increased availability of calcium. Rats fed leading up to breeding, to build them up and get good weight on prior to breeding may help similarly. All this assuming the mass of food fed matches up (not subbing a 60g rat for a 30g mouse).

There wasn't any real differentiation in older adults for mice or rats, but mice can reach 30g without being bred simply due to age, so "fat retired breeders" could be different. (I put that in quotes because observing my breeder mice, the breeders are far from fat, so I'm not convinced of that yet; not to say it is false either. Haven't seen data for it, so leaving it there.) Jumbo mice or rats could certainly have higher fat than the data has, but there isn't any data showing it in this case. Adult mice in the 25-30g range that I've purchased and bred have all been fairly lean and not fat like jumbos might be, and that size makes a good number to double or triple to match the rat sizes.

Just wanted to share since it seemed interesting and to me it indicates that feeding mice occasionally to snakes that will switch prey readily back and forth is probably beneficial. (I wonder if anyone who has a chronically bad shedding snake despite humidity might see improvement with the extra vitamin A in mice...)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pretends2bnormal For This Useful Post:

ballpythonsrock2 (05-16-2019),ChuckB (05-20-2019),Godzilla78 (05-16-2019),Maddlesrain (05-16-2019),Sonny1318 (05-16-2019)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12