Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,847

0 members and 2,847 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

Exclamation Need help with BP enclosure!!

hey guys,

I have been setting up my BP enclosure for a few weeks now and am having so much trouble getting the right temps + humidity levels and its stressing me out so much...

I just got my juvenile BP yesterday and have a 20 gallon glass tank with a screen lid. The hot side has a UTH and a zoo med tstat connected to it set at 94° However, I noticed that glass that the heat mat is under barely feels warm to the touch...I heard that it shouldn't feel warm at all because 94° is not even body temperature but it still worries me....

The cool side was getting too cold so I had to add a CHE. I have a thermometer with a probe on the cool side which is at 83°F, a digital thermometer/hygrometer in the middle (which I guess is the ambient temperature) and that is at 78°F :/

I wrapped 2/3 of the screen lid with saran wrap last night to help keep in humidity and heat but I don't think it worked at all. This morning when I checked the tank the hygrometer was at 39%... so I had to mist again

My main issues are
    1. the temps seem to drop drastically! Up to 5° in minutes
    2. my thermometers/ temp gun all give completely different readings! (for example the thermometer with the probe on the cool side will read 83° then when I point the temp gun in the exact same spot it will say 76°....

I love my new BP so much and want to give him the best possible life but I am worried about leaving him during the day because I feel like I just keep running back to the tank to check the temps + humidity levels which is hard when I can't even seem to get an accurate reading.

Any help you could give me would be sooo appreciated!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,076 Posts
    Do you have an infrared heat gun to monitor your temps?

take cardboard cut to the dimensions of the screen lid, place your lamp on it and trace around it. Cut that hole out then wrap the entire cardboard with foil. I only have to mist once a week with this method.
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop
    Coilsome, Odyn, & Eeden AKA theLittleOne

0:1 Pastel Het Red Day Chocolate
    1:0 Normal
    0:0:1 Pueblan milk snake

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*