Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,752

2 members and 2,750 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
    Thanks

Feeding Issue...When to try live?

I picked a ball python up at a reptile show about a month ago. The breeder told me she’d eaten both live and f/t. I would really like to have her on f/t so that’s all I’ve attempted to feed her so far. I’ve tried rats of a few different sizes, but she hasn’t taken any of them. I haven’t weighed her, but she doesn’t appear to have lost much weight. My question is, how long should I wait before I offer live? I still plan to try and get her on f/t, but I’m concerned since she hasn’t eaten since I’ve owned her.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    First you need to give us a run down on your setup from enclosure size to type of hides to temps.

We need to know how big your snake is how often you handle it.

How do you go about feeding (the whole process)

Because a snake has taken f/t and live does not mean much unless the last 5 successful consecutive meals were indeed F/T otherwise it's just luck not an animal that is converted.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    With a new snake, I'd suggest feeding & housing it as close to what it had before until it's established (eating reliably for at least 3 times), before you attempt
    any changes. When the seller says a snake takes both, you can usually figure that the snake isn't fully converted to f/t, & you'll have to feed some live for a while.
    In a new home, a snake wants "comfort food" first...ie. what it's used to eating, for best results. And eating is way more important than handling, so hold off on
    any unnecessary handling...it can disrupt their inclination to eat. New snakes are stressed, so do all you can to help them feel "at home". They will learn in
    time to accept us, but let them "be a snake" first, no matter how cute they are or how badly you want to cuddle them...they don't take it the way we mean it.