Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,730

1 members and 2,729 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
    Thanks

eye caps dented?

Handling my BCI today

I saw one of her eye caps is slightly dented?? I did not realize this could happen..?

Its not a stuck shed its not cloudy does not seem to be impairing her vision in any way either, will it come off naturally?

I think I will watch it for now. But she seems rather like her lively-ish self.

When handling her, so I am not too worried, she is also eating fine and passing waste okay.

I imagine this is what the eye caps are for(To protect their eyes in place of eye lids) but it is still rather worrisome for me.

My first boa and probably the only one unless I decide to invest in a bigger living environment lol. Could just be me being a worry wort for the first boa-child.

EDIT: Also any links to general boa information would be helpful relating to their wildlife lifestyles and habits and little tips in husbandry as well. So far she has shed twice the first one being in big chunks and the latest being full. So I am doing okay I think but it seems to be slightly more difficult to find husbandry tips for Boa's(BCI) than BPs.

P.S. I LOVE READING BOOKS a good non-fiction book around Boa's would be amazing.
    Last edited by VereMyth; 05-14-2019 at 04:43 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 1,148 Posts
    Just curious on your husbandry? Is it possible there’s not enough humidity?
    1.0 Black Pastel Pinstripe
    1.0 Reduced Pattern Clown
    1.0 Low White Pied
    1.0 Hypo Super Enchi

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sonny1318 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-14-2019),cletus (05-16-2019),CloudtheBoa (05-14-2019),JodanOrNoDan (05-14-2019),VereMyth (05-14-2019)

BPnet Senior Member CloudtheBoa's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 620 Posts
    Yup, agree with the above. Dented eye caps usually come from inadequate humidity. I aim for 70-80% with my boa constrictors. Information on your set up will help us to give advice on what to change.
    8.3 Boa imperator ('15 sunglow "Nymeria," '11 normal "Cloud," '16 anery motley "Crona," '10 ghost "Howl," '08 jungle "Dominika," '22 RC pastel hypo jungle "Aleister," '22 pastel normal "Gengar," '22 orangasm hypo "Daemon," '22 poss jungle "Jinzo," '22 poss jungle "Calcifer," '22 motley "Guin")
    1.4 Boa imperator; unnamed '22 hbs
    3.3 Plains garter snakes
    1.2 checkered garter snakes (unnamed)

~RIP~
    2.2 Brazilian rainbow boa ('15 Picasso stripe BRBs "Guin" and "Morzan, and '15 hypo "Homura", '14 normal "Sanji")
    1.0 garter snake ('13 albino checkered "Draco")
    1.0 eastern garter ('13 "Demigod)
    0.0.1 ball python ('06 "Bud")

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CloudtheBoa For This Useful Post:

Sonny1318 (05-14-2019),VereMyth (05-14-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    I've seen way more dented eye-caps on BPs, but either way, I think it's insufficient humidity too. Should be self-correcting once the humidity is up for a while.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Sonny1318 (05-14-2019),VereMyth (05-14-2019)

Thanks
    Hmm that's weird it's always at 70% right now she's in a tub. I use pangeas humidity gauge. And it's only one eye.
    Humidity at its lowest would be 50% I live in Florida and my house rests at 50%.

Sorry for the terrible post will edit when I get home i front of my pc.
    Last edited by VereMyth; 05-14-2019 at 09:15 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to VereMyth For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-14-2019)

Thanks
    She might have bumped that eye on something, if it's only one that's dented. Hopefully the good humidity will help it plump back up again then.

I suppose that despite good humidity in her enclosure, it's possible that she herself is a little dehydrated...not every person or creature's kidneys
    function equally well, and medications can influence this also. Has she been treated for anything? Does she have mites? -do check thoroughly.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 05-14-2019 at 10:39 PM.

Thanks
    I thought this too. I did have a scare with mites on a blue tongue skink I got, she had it bad, when I discovered that despite the quarantine I had all my new ones in
    I went ahead and treated them all. I have not seen mites on any of them. Since including the skink I have treated with pam in rotation three times(enough to kill an entire can of PAM) none of them are soaking the skink has been mite free for a good month and a half.and I have never seen mites on my snakes. I will check again but she has not been exhibiting any other mite behavior like soaking. As for her dehydration her skin feels smooth as well I took her to.the vet a bit ago the exact date is on my fridge lol. Will get that too. He did not have any problems with her appeared fine
    I have never had problems either she was and Is still an eager eater too. I will continue to monitor her I think she bumped it on her ceramic water dish when shedding it has
    a naturalistic stairs or ramp and is quite rouch but not enough to injure I thought it would provide a good thing to rub against for shedding. Will get a picture when I get home as well.

Thanks
    OK, I was just "brain-storming" for you...hopefully NOT mites, & probably just a fluke collision with cage decor.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: eye caps dented?

Quote Originally Posted by VereMyth View Post
    I thought this too. I did have a scare with mites on a blue tongue skink I got, she had it bad, when I discovered that despite the quarantine I had all my new ones in
    I went ahead and treated them all. I have not seen mites on any of them. Since including the skink I have treated with pam in rotation three times(enough to kill an entire can of PAM) none of them are soaking the skink has been mite free for a good month and a half.and I have never seen mites on my snakes. I will check again but she has not been exhibiting any other mite behavior like soaking. As for her dehydration her skin feels smooth as well I took her to.the vet a bit ago the exact date is on my fridge lol. Will get that too. He did not have any problems with her appeared fine
    I have never had problems either she was and Is still an eager eater too. I will continue to monitor her I think she bumped it on her ceramic water dish when shedding it has
    a naturalistic stairs or ramp and is quite rouch but not enough to injure I thought it would provide a good thing to rub against for shedding. Will get a picture when I get home as well.

PAM for mites? Do you spay your snake to suffocate the mites? Do tell. Please.

Thanks

Re: eye caps dented?

Quote Originally Posted by sur3fir3 View Post
    PAM for mites? Do you spay your snake to suffocate the mites? Do tell. Please.
    UH..."PAM" refers to "Provent-A-Mite", and NOT to the cooking spray! Never try to smother mites with oils of any kind unless you enjoy watching your poor snake
    shed in a million pieces. "PAM" for mites is NEVER sprayed ON the snake either...it's used on the cage itself & substrate, very toxic otherwise.

This is a confusing abbreviation for this product, I'm sure you aren't the only one... (& they both come in a spray can too...please don't fry any food with
    Provent-A-Mite either!)
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 05-15-2019 at 11:28 AM.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (05-15-2019),pretends2bnormal (05-15-2019)