Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,783

0 members and 2,783 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Abscess

Registered User ShawarmaPoutine's Avatar
    Thanks

Abscess

Just picked up this 1700 g girl and obviously noticed that her lip was swollen.

The dude I picked her up from was a complete slob and all the snakes in his collection were basically living in their feces. His reaction when I pointed it out suggests he didn’t know about it or that was the first he’s seen of it. He feeds a combination of live and f/t so I was wondering if it was from a rat.

What do you guys think? Next steps?

Also, is just me or does she have big eyes?

Last edited by ShawarmaPoutine; 05-13-2019 at 12:23 AM.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Abscess can have several causes

Rat bite is a possibility, broken tooth is another.

The next step is a vet, one specializing with reptiles, the abscess will need to be drained and antibiotics will have to be prescribed.

As for the eyes you will have to wait and see once the abscess issue is resolved.
    Deborah Stewart

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

ShawarmaPoutine (05-13-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,816 Times in 11,840 Posts
    Snake abscesses don't drain on their own, they need surgical (vet) help, & probably antibiotics too, but antibiotics alone won't do it. Poor snake, I hope you
    can help her recover fully. Can't say, it could have been just from the filthy cage, or rat injury, who knows? Her eyes do seem a little big to me, or maybe it's
    the contrast- the lighter color makes her pupils really stand out. Pretty eyes!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (05-15-2019),ShawarmaPoutine (05-13-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,857 Times in 4,778 Posts
    The swelling from the abscess is likely making the eye on the left protrude. I'd get that snake to a vet ASAP.

Sometimes antibiotics alone will resolve the issue but only if caught early. Unfortunately she will likely need surgery to remove the pocket of infection.

Thanks

Re: Abscess

1) How serious of a condition is this? i.e. should I go to a vet far away today or a vet close to me on Thursday?

2) Are there other options than the vet? I am the kind of person who spares absolutely no expense on family, friends and even my pets (especially my bird). But for some reason, I am feeling hesitant to go and drop $350 on this animal. Probably because it went from her being a great example lesser that is a proven breeder and has good weight on her.. all for $60. Part me of screams "you save the animal even if it is a normal morph." and another part is like... "maybe I'll pray that she gets better." did I accept the responsibility of sparing no expense when I chose to buy her anyway? What if I didn't buy her because of the condition whilst knowing wholeheartedly that she will go back to live in repugnant conditions and that her owner wouldn't even notice it till too late. Ethical dilemmas I tell you.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,816 Times in 11,840 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ShawarmaPoutine View Post
    1) How serious of a condition is this? i.e. should I go to a vet far away today or a vet close to me on Thursday?

2) Are there other options than the vet? I am the kind of person who spares absolutely no expense on family, friends and even my pets (especially my bird). But for some reason, I am feeling hesitant to go and drop $350 on this animal. Probably because it went from her being a great example lesser that is a proven breeder and has good weight on her.. all for $60. Part me of screams "you save the animal even if it is a normal morph." and another part is like... "maybe I'll pray that she gets better." did I accept the responsibility of sparing no expense when I chose to buy her anyway? What if I didn't buy her because of the condition whilst knowing wholeheartedly that she will go back to live in repugnant conditions and that her owner wouldn't even notice it till too late. Ethical dilemmas I tell you.
    How serious is an infection in the head of an animal (ie. near the eye & brain)? SERIOUS. A.S.A.P. see the most experienced vet that has dealt with this before (surgery).
    Can she make a good recovery? Probably, with prompt & proper care...I've seen (not my snake) similar conditions treated successfully (surgery & antibiotics).

There are no other options...the start of a mouth infection might be helped with Betadine swabs, but that won't touch a deep abscess like this. You chose to buy this
    snake that IMO should have been a gift to someone willing to provide proper medical care. I'm a little surprised you bought her, but now you owe her the proper care.
    She will die slowly & miserably without it.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (05-14-2019),octo_owl (05-15-2019),ShawarmaPoutine (05-13-2019),Stewart_Reptiles (05-13-2019)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    A vet is your ONLY option abscess in snakes are not something that can be taken care of at home, the caseous pus needs to be removed as well as the pocket that contains it once that is done the animal MUST be under anti-biotics.

It's not about how far or how close the vet is is whether or not the vet is an exotic vet with experience with reptiles.

A vet that has only dealt with access in dogs or cat is unlikely to know what needs to be done.

If not removed it will get worse honestly if dropping $350 on a $60 animal is an issue you should have pass on the animal to start with when picking it up, and $350 might not even be close to what you will have to spend.

I have said it before when people shop the cheap deals instead of going with a reputable breeder they often get what they pay for.
    Deborah Stewart

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Bodie (05-13-2019),Bogertophis (05-13-2019),Craiga 01453 (05-14-2019),ShawarmaPoutine (05-13-2019)

Thanks

I appreciate everyone’s responses. I’m on my way to the vet right now.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ShawarmaPoutine For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-13-2019)

Thanks

So the vet said it’s cellulitis because there’s no sac formation or any pus to drain out.

There is swelling inside the mouth at both sides but the left side was more swollen just as the outside is.

She put her on Chlorhexedine, applied twice daily for a week. If it heals, it heals. If it doesn’t then she wants to send a bacterial culture to the lab + ceftazidimie 180mg/ml injection or something.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ShawarmaPoutine View Post
    So the vet said it’s cellulitis because there’s no sac formation or any pus to drain out.

There is swelling inside the mouth at both sides but the left side was more swollen just as the outside is.

She put her on Chlorhexedine, applied twice daily for a week. If it heals, it heals. If it doesn’t then she wants to send a bacterial culture to the lab + ceftazidimie 180mg/ml injection or something.
    Was this a vet experienced with reptiles? How did they determine there no sac formation or pus? Using "no pus to drain out" makes it sound like they looked at it like a dog or cat abscess, ie. did a needle aspirate and didn't get anything. Pus in reptiles won't drain. It's much more solid.
    0.1 Normal ball python Astrid
    1.0 banana bumblebee Samwise
    1.0 San Mattais rosy boa Charlie
    1.0 bearded dragon Gimli
    1.0 crested gecko Mr. Lizard

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to reptilemom25 For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (05-14-2019),Bogertophis (05-14-2019),Craiga 01453 (05-14-2019),FollowTheSun (05-14-2019),Jessibelle (05-14-2019),pretends2bnormal (05-14-2019)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast