Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,706

0 members and 2,706 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: PA Woods and Forests Native Species

Tonight is light up night and introducing the inhabitants of "The Woods"

Tonight is light up night! The Monsoon Multi, Evergreen Pet Supplies Fogger and Mini Fridge were all turned on. When I say light up night I mean for the mini fridge specifically but hey I also got two other devices up too!

Now the plants over the winter will have what they need to flourish! Ace and Pious will also have rain and fog now!

I'm not even going to keep you waiting because everyone has been waiting all summer to find out who will live in the 125 gallon. Obviously Ace and Pious are already living inside so you know of two. They are not alone however...

I want to make clear that I did not have intentions of keeping this animal with the toads but I was convinced when I heard zoos had been doing this with success I was considering it. Then it's up to the toads if this will work or not. So I was surprised to know that 0 toads ate this animal but it's an intermediate at least setup to keep these two together. Humidity isn't necessarily a problem with a big water area and mist and fog. Temperature isn't necessarily either because I have highs and lows. Toxins being mixed were a worry but I was told from two herpetologists that it's only if the animal is threatened meaning any amphibian secretes toxins meaning if stressed, but not through sharing the same water. Plus water changes are a necessity. Like I said I had to test my toads to see what would be their reaction to the other animals. Ace more so than Pious. Ace struck the animal to taste and see what it was, then she looked like she got a nasty taste and left it alone. So Ace would not attack because toads and frogs learn from toxin and pain not to eat something so one attempt is all it takes and the toads learn. So all is well. So to clear that out of the way I can now tell you who will be living with Ace and Pious this and next year.

The original plan was wood frogs but I opted out for many reasons. They have a higher probability to have diseases the toads don't and they need cooler temps my toads did. My toads were caught in a valley just below the mountain so they actually do like upper 70s for highs like 73-77 will be good. This is suitable for another.

A pair of Gray Tree Frogs. Bane who lived with them last year will join them again and a new face the female Melania. Melania doesn't have many pictures but she's fierce and will challenge Ace and Pious to become the alpha in the ecosystem. Female grays get to a very decent size and Melania and Bane are the largest two grays I own. But it's mainly because of the tolerance the toads have for them this can work.

For instance this won't work with Wellsboro because he is too aggressive he might not taste the gray tree frog he might try to grab and eat. So he will not live with anything else except the offspring of Ace and Pious that will be his mate.

So it is set that Ace, Pious, Bane and Melania will live in The Woods. This enclosure is different from any other. You see a dominant animal in all the others, but in the 125 gallon all the animals will be competing and it will be a wild journey to show all four of them as they endure the artificial climate that the 125 gallon The Woods will replicate.

No videos this year will be of The Woods because it needs to be 100% finished with healthy animals and all devices and plants. So only pictures until spring. Bane is in quarantine recovering.

As I said it's an intermediate project and not able to be accomplished with every toad and tree frog but because of the size and accessories of this enclosure as well as the vet and my experience and knowledge of both, it can be done. I never thought both could be kept together and I persuaded others from it and I admit I was wrong with thinking it could not happen but after being educated more on the pairing I feel pretty confident about this. It will be the only tank featuring both species.

I kept them together last year but I was not aware of what I am now so things should be much smoother.

What do you think of The Woods?

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

Thanks

Melania enters The Woods...

Tonight Melania the female Gray Tree Frog was placed in her home. She joined Ace and Pious inside the large 125 gallon. I turned the fogger on a little bit for her, turned the misting system on and let her get settled in. She was confused because all she had ever known was being in a small quarantine enclosure, and now she probably can't believe the room she has! She had to come face to face with the top predator in The Woods, Ace! It set up for almost a scary moment because Ace came out and immediately stared at Melania to see if I put more food in. Melania was still for a minute and then Ace lost interest and Melania looked around on the floor. Then Pious came out from the other side of the enclosure. He watched her too but did not associate her as food. Neither toad lunged at her.

Ace looked confused because she only knows I put food in for them (for her) and she didn't see any food so she thought something was up. She hopped around a good bit looked at Melania a little bit followed her then ignored her and hasn't looked at her since. So far so good. Ace is hungry so to anyone reading saying it's only a matter of time don't be so sure. She is putting on weight for hibernation and she will snap at Pious the male toad if he gets too close. So for Ace to be reserved while being a bottomless pit for a stomach may indeed prove what I was educated on to be true. Melania tastes noxious!

Ace was tested a while ago with Bane and she went to him snapped out her tongue then tried wiping it off. She made a disgusted face and she basically got to taste his toxin. Toads and frogs store pain and toxic and other experiences so Ace must have remembered that the Grays are toxic. Nothing else that entered The Woods lasted more then 20 seconds. I actually know this because I have a camera I played back and she was deviating the prey. So something would definitely be up. Let's hope Ace know Melania is not prey and peace continues. We will see how feeding goes tomorrow if Melania will even come out. I suspect she will come out in a few days after she settles in.

This was a huge step forward and now Melania can begin the hibernation protocol! These pictures will be up on on my animals Facebook page later on in albums but I'll share them here so you see some of the best pictures and scenes from tonight!

Sent from my BKL-L04 using Tapatalk

Thanks

Some good and bad news...

I got Bane's stool sample back and he was positive with the parasites again. It's frustrating to know they are still alive and trying to kill the animals of the PA Woods Community. The inhabitants of The Woods have gotten it the worst for some time now and the nematodes aren't going to give up it appears. Neither am I. The worst part of finding them is that it could mean Bane passed it to all the other grays. Guess where Melania is now. She's with the toads. In the 125 gallon. So this might mean some bad news. Do I think Melania has the parasite? I do. I'm not 100% sure and even if I am at this point it's just going to mean she has to move out and join Bane and Christian in the quarantine enclosure.

It's going to sound backwards but the Gray Army will actually be 100% dewormed and safer in the quarantine enclosure then the 125 gallon. So they will be hibernating after Wellsboro a member of the Frog Forests. I want to ensure everyone who hibernates is clean and parasite free so I am able to wipe it out in the other animals once they sleep. Finally Ace and Pious will move into the quarantine enclosure when it's their turn to prepare to hibernate. Even though they are in the blast zone of the parasite right now they might be the most protected being the last to be dewormed and then hibernate.

While this is a difficult battle my strategy as unorthodox as it is may be the only way to ensure victory. I will make sure to give an update on the status of Ace and Pious and the Gray Army soon.

Thanks

Some coming and some going...

If you just checked out my other thread or if you have been following me on various places you would know that I have been talkin about my gray tree frogs and now how they are going to live in their own setup. due to the reason of these tree frogs having the parasites still and also the 125 gallon looks more terrestrial than it does welcoming for an arboreal species it just makes sense that the two would be separated. The 125 gallon animals are going to be joined together with Wellsboro and the unnamed female toad. This will be the first time all four of the toads will live together. It is going to make for a very interesting set up watching how Ace and Wellsboro or going to interact. The last time they were together they were battling to figure out who was going to be the alpha. with them both completely healthy we could be seeing a very interesting battle of the toads.

I'm not going to give away all the details of what I'm going to do with the toads but I just felt it was a very important comment to make about the separation between the toads and the Gray Army.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12