Hi all,

I've only had my BP for a few days and am in the process of perfecting his tank- I'm currently waiting on my CHE thermostat to arrive so I can plug in the lamp without frying him, and the tank has been a little cool during the day with not much of a gradient while we wait. The ambient room and enclosure temp has been between 74-85° F this week, thankfully. The UTE is set up nicely and reading a surface temp on the glass (inside enclosure) of 90-94° F during the day and night. Would like it to stay right at 92° F but it looks like that's about the most consistent temps the Jumpstart is going to give me. (surface temps all taken with temp gun, UTE is controlled via jumpstart thermostat)

My snake was curled up in the warm hide (over hotspot) for the first couple days but now he has been sitting in the hide on the cool side for nearly two days, and the cage temps have been generally on the cooler side of what is acceptable for a BP over all- 74-75 at the moment since it's cooler in the morning. Cage temp hasn't gotten above 86 yet this week. Is this normal for him to be choosing a cool hide when the ambient temps are 74° F??

By the way, the hide on the cool side at the moment is also a humid hide made of moss and wire. I'm going to get him a third hide soon but he only has two secure ones, warm and cool in his tank right now. (though he does occasionally hang out under the habba hut in the middle) The humidity in the tank has been about 60-70% so it should be humid enough but maybe he's dried out from his travels to me, idk. I'm also waiting on a second hygrometer.

He's probably fine but I was wondering if people had any tips on obvious things that would make him reluctant to choose a warm hide when he needs it. I covered the front of the cage with a pillowcase for privacy two days ago but I've also probably been bothering him in the cage while fixing temp probes, taking surface temps, misting, changing water, ect. The only think I can think of is that there's not quite as much clutter in front of the warm hide as the cool hide, but that's because I'm planning on having the CHE near that area and don't want him to be climbing up too close to it.