Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,473

2 members and 1,471 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,824 Times in 11,843 Posts
    Anyway, I say "jumping is good for you"...if you have enough snakes, it counts as aerobic exercise.

Thanks

Re: How do I keep from jumping when I feed my snakes?

You may enjoy this anecdote. A few months ago I purchased an adult male b.p. who, when I first brought him home was VERY reactive. During his quarantine period he was in a bin, but not a rack. Every time I walked past he'd strike the sides of the bin, and opening it to change water etc. usually ended in my slopping the water all over to avoid his strike. He had two hides, but did't use either initially. After a couple of days, I covered the bin with a towel and he settled down a lot, another couple of weeks and I could handle him.... if I was careful not to make any sudden moves and I was patting myself on the back that I hadn't yet been bitten.

Things were going well, EXCEPT for feeding, he's a very enthusiastic feeder, and for some reason, seems to ignore the f/t rat I'm holding in the forceps and attempts to rise out of the bin, which is a bit disconcerting.

Fast forward a few months and he's just graduated to a rack, all is well but the first feeding in the rack was interesting. He's in one of the lower bins. On feeding day, he's waiting at the front of the bin and as soon as I open the bin, he rises up and out, looking for dinner. I offered the rat, he struck and missed, I jumped, the rat landed in the front of the bin, but the snake isn't seeing it, and when I lower the forceps to grab the rat, the snake strikes at the forceps. I grabbed the closest thing (a water bottle) to block him from striking the hand holding the forceps and attempt to gentle push him back into the bin... he's about 18 inches above the bin now and HUNGRY. I'm feeling a bit vulnerable, but happy I haven't been bitten............forgetting that the hand holding the water bottle that I'm using as a shield, was the one that was originally used to transfer the rat to the forceps. Sooooo, the snake ignored the forceps, and nailed the hand holding the water bottle. I jumped, dropped the water bottle to the floor, the snake dropped back into the bin and I closed it up. Thirty seconds later, the snake found the rat and was chowing down and I was looking for a tissue to wipe my bleeding hand. All ended well, but I had a good chuckle at my own expense, I knew this one would bite me eventually, I didn't realize I'd make it so easy for him. LOL

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to B.P.'s 4me For This Useful Post:

Pengil (05-19-2019),Sonny1318 (05-19-2019)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123