Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,805

3 members and 2,802 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts

What Do You Do With The Insulation That Comes With Shipped F/T?

i just saw the thread from Candy Man unpacking F/T and i'm due to order some myself and always wondered what am i supposed to do w/ the insulation that's used for their shipping besides throwing them out? can this stuff be recycled? should i be insulating my walls? or are there creative art projects or uses have u found for insulation?
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ax01 For This Useful Post:

JodanOrNoDan (05-10-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Re: What Do You Do With The Insulation That Comes With Shipped F/T?

Quote Originally Posted by Ax01 View Post
    i just saw the thread from Candy Man unpacking F/T and i'm due to order some myself and always wondered what am i supposed to do w/ the insulation that's used for their shipping besides throwing them out? can this stuff be recycled? should i be insulating my walls? or are there creative art projects or uses have u found for insulation?
    If made out of a safe material, Make some rock formations for your snakes and paint them then seal them up with food grade epoxy? IDK.

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts
    I have a ton of that crap sitting in my garage. I'm thinking about just using it as extra insulation in my attic. It seems to be a waste to just toss it.
    Honest, I only need one more ...

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JodanOrNoDan For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-10-2019),Craiga 01453 (05-10-2019),Sonny1318 (05-10-2019)

Thanks
    When I had my BP in a tank and was having tempature problems I actually attached the insulation from my rat shipment to the sides of the tank. It kinda failed, though, and I don't know if it helped at all haha..
    Last edited by 55fingers; 05-10-2019 at 03:18 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,793 Times in 11,827 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ax01 View Post
    Depends what kind of "insulation" you're referring to. Over time, I've saved a lot of styro-foam* peanuts from things ordered online, & while actual stryro-foam is NOT
    recyclable, it's very welcome for 're-homing'. I noticed a local ad from someone wanting packing peanuts & I sold them my saved bags of clean "peanuts" for a very
    reasonable price (our local Staples closed, & they sold them for a LOT more), so it got them out of my way, & did these folks a good turn. *Note that some "peanuts"
    are now made of potato (?) starch & can be dissolved in water...it's easy to tell the difference. I've already got another bag of peanuts started... You can also donate
    them for thrift stores to sell...that's where mine were originally headed, until I saw the "want ad" from that couple.

I assume you're asking about other styro-foam (molded stuff), that is not recyclable & harder to re-home, sadly. But you might try a free-cycle ad for those who sell on
    ebay, etsy & such- most of them save $ by re-using all sorts of packing material to ship, & might happily take it off your hands?

Some pkgs come with paper-based insulation & they are labeled as recyclable. (I even made a disposable snake-toy out of large molded paper shipping supports- I cut
    multiple doorways in them & used them over substrate in my longnose snake's cage...he had fun with the "maze" until they got 'dirty' & were then tossed.)

Styrofoam takes like "forever" to break down, something we all need to be conscious of & avoid using in the first place. Like foam coffee cups to go, etc. Only so much
    space for landfill, & surely not the best use of open natural land...

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts

@ Sky and Boog - no, not those kinds. this is the kind used to ship F/T:

Quote Originally Posted by JodanOrNoDan View Post
    I have a ton of that crap sitting in my garage. I'm thinking about just using it as extra insulation in my attic. It seems to be a waste to just toss it.
    yes, that would be ideal but it's creepy and cramped up there lol.

i wonder if it could be used for puffy jackets.

Quote Originally Posted by 55fingers View Post
    When I had my BP in a tank and was having tempature problems I actually attached the insulation from my rat shipment to the sides of the tank. It kinda failed, though, and I don't know if it helped at all haha..
    do sounds funny. do u have pix of it.
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    I use them to heat up f/t feeders since I have larger rabbits and chickens in addition to rats and mice. Put feeders in box, add warm water, cover. Eventually the coolers wear out and start leaking, and then I toss them.

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts
    I've always just tossed it but you got me thinking. There isn't much recycling out here in Utah like there was in CA sadly.
    If it's cellulose based insulation it should be able to be recycled (and is generally made up of about 80% recycled material itself), but most other types cannot be recycled.
    For the Horde!