Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,372

1 members and 1,371 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: What Movie(s) Would You Like to See Remade?

I bet Peter Jackson could do an amazing job at remaking The Never Ending Story.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Toad37 For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (05-10-2019)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Skeptiball View Post
    A Clockwork Orange is a masterpiece and I'm very close to declaring it one of the movies that should never be revisited. Let me drink a tall glass of Moloko Vellocet and go for a drive in my Durango '95 while I think about this one.
    Exactly. That's where my skepticism lies. I feel almost certain a remake would be straight crap, but just imagine if it was done right...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Skeptiball (05-10-2019)

Thanks
    The problem with doing remakes is that it should be reserved for good ideas that were poorly executed.

Movies that were well done, even for their time, are generally still enjoyable.

In my opinion the best contenders that meet that qualification are His Dark Materials (fingers crossed for HBO's treatment) and Dune.
    \m/

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JRLongton For This Useful Post:

WhompingWillow (05-10-2019)

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts
    I agree remakes of great concepts but "badly" executed movies are the way to go. It is very subjective though. I'm tired of everything being remade, especially when the movie is 30 or less years old.
    Some remakes are wonderful though, I have to admit, like John Carpenter's The Thing.

Personally, I love the original Dune. I heard they are remaking it again (they did once already as a mini-series as well, which wasn't totally terrible but not that great either).
    For the Horde!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

Skeptiball (05-10-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
    Personally, I love the original Dune. I heard they are remaking it again (they did once already as a mini-series as well, which wasn't totally terrible but not that great either).
    Did you read the book? Because I have this theory that only people who read the book are capable of understanding, let alone enjoying, that movie. There is just so much that they gloss over or vaguely hint at. Though I enjoy Dune also.
    \m/

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JRLongton For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (05-10-2019),Skeptiball (05-10-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Toad37 View Post
    I bet Peter Jackson could do an amazing job at remaking The Never Ending Story.
    Wow, that's a pretty good one! Jackson does have the chops for it. I feel Jackson would make it feel more epic.

Oh man, what about Guillermo del Toro taking a crack at it? It would be equal parts beautiful, enchanting, odd, and creepy.

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JRLongton View Post
    Did you read the book? Because I have this theory that only people who read the book are capable of understanding, let alone enjoying, that movie. There is just so much that they gloss over or vaguely hint at. Though I enjoy Dune also.
    Yes, I love reading, especially sci-fi. I agree it really helps one enjoy that movie knowing more of the political backstory and "science" of the travellers and spacing guild.
    For the Horde!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

JRLongton (05-10-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Craiga 01453 View Post
    Exactly. That's where my skepticism lies. I feel almost certain a remake would be straight crap, but just imagine if it was done right...
    I've been thinking about this one all night. Like my pick for Denis Villeneuve taking on a Logan's Run remake, I think a Villeneuve A Clockwork Orange could work. The tone would have to be absolutely perfect for it to have any chance and I think he could possibly do it.

Do you think a remake today would/could have Alex as a 15-year-old like he is in the novel?

I'll keep geeking out to this one for awhile.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Skeptiball View Post
    Wow, that's a pretty good one! Jackson does have the chops for it. I feel Jackson would make it feel more epic.

Oh man, what about Guillermo del Toro taking a crack at it? It would be equal parts beautiful, enchanting, odd, and creepy.
    No clue who that is lol. I personally think Jackson did an amazing job at the Tolkien series but I never read any of the books so idk what all the hype is about when people say he butchered them.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Toad37 For This Useful Post:

Skeptiball (05-10-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
    I agree remakes of great concepts but "badly" executed movies are the way to go. It is very subjective though. I'm tired of everything being remade, especially when the movie is 30 or less years old.
    Some remakes are wonderful though, I have to admit, like John Carpenter's The Thing.

When anybody says that all remakes are garbage, I tell them to hold my beer while I pop in John Carpenter's The Thing.

You are correct, Denis Villeneuve is currently working on Dune. The last thing I read was that he's splitting the first novel into two films. Right out of the gate, I think that's great. The books are so rich with history, world-building, and character development that to try and water it down will only poison the entire project. I do have a nostalgic soft spot for David Lynch's Dune from 1984 but I do see all of its flaws. Dune done properly would be a turning point in science fiction cinema.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Skeptiball For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (05-10-2019)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast