Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 299

6 members and 293 guests
Most users ever online was 3,642, 05-08-2016 at 08:50 AM.


» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 64,845
Threads: 239,415
Posts: 2,487,703
Top Poster: JLC (31,652)
Welcome to our newest member, hectorspe
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Registered User Skyrivers's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-15-2018
    Posts
    2,425
    Thanks
    121
    Thanked 1,765 Times in 1,003 Posts

    Looking at Bloods....

    Share your experience. I hear they can be a little more difficult to get to not be defensive but if you can get them to calm down, make good pets. Tell me your experience.

    https://www.morphmarket.com/us/c/rep...pythons/147603

    https://www.morphmarket.com/us/c/rep...pythons/200276

    Above are 2 that are up for consideration.

    Is there a difference in male and female attitude?

    Possible care issues?

    Please share everything.

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    BPnet Senior Member Sonny1318's Avatar
    Join Date
    07-02-2014
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    2,089
    Thanks
    3,949
    Thanked 1,372 Times in 1,024 Posts
    Images: 9
    They are two very nice looking girls. But unfortunately the more expensive one is a little to die for. If I was in the market, thatís one gorgeous girl. Best of luck either way. Definitely more pics if you pull the trigger.
    1.0 Black Pastel Pinstripe
    1.0 Reduced Pattern Clown
    1.0 Low White Pied
    1.0 Hypo Super Enchi

  3. #3
    BPnet Veteran JRLongton's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-27-2017
    Location
    Attleboro, Massachusetts
    Posts
    365
    Thanks
    498
    Thanked 396 Times in 221 Posts
    Images: 10
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonny1318 View Post
    They are two very nice looking girls. But unfortunately the more expensive one is a little to die for. If I was in the market, thatís one gorgeous girl.
    Yeah, I second that, but I'm a total sucker for yellow and black patterns.
    \m/

  4. #4
    Registered User pretends2bnormal's Avatar
    Join Date
    09-07-2017
    Posts
    766
    Thanks
    638
    Thanked 1,038 Times in 500 Posts
    Images: 7

    Re: Looking at Bloods....

    Honestly, go for the best breeder you can, and ask for the calmest individual of the morph/species you're interested in. I got my boy at VPI and did that, and from day 1 as a 175g sausage he has yet to strike except at food.

    I wanted a boy (typically a bit smaller as an adult) and a blood, and asked for that, so I got this super calm and very pretty ivory male.

    *tapatalk always rotates my pictures....*

    VPI was great to work with.

    As for other things... start small with tubs for juices, these guys are shyer than ball pythons and appreciate security, at least for a start and slowly work toward a bigger enclosure. Breeders keep them in small tubs & I've been told that they adjust slower than most, so it could take longer to get them reliably eating if you jump to a bigger cage immediately. (Something to be aware of if you don't want to do the juvie tub)

    And for juvies, especially in smaller tubs without a large space to get away from a hot spot, just give them ambient targeting 82, and try to keep within 80-84 for most of it, low temp of 78 at night. Adults/big enclosures can have hot spots 86-88, but if there is not a dry and a wet space that is around 82 for them to fully fit into, I'd skip the hot spot. Most blood breeders use pure ambient.

    Generally, really pissy bloods are too hot, too humid, or both. You want around 60% humidity and not to have wet substrate. From VPI, (at least their animals) bitey babies are largely the result of too much heat or giving a hot spot, so they recommended to me to be sure to avoid that.

    No clue about personality differences male vs female. Most of what I've seen is anecdotal and is just individual driven. Supposedly males are more unpredictable, but I've heard that about various species and never really seen much that is definitive proof.

    Also, most important pro tip.. make sure to only fill a water bowl so that when the snake sits in it, it will not overflow. I messed that up early on... and he soaked his tub. Oops.

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by pretends2bnormal; 05-09-2019 at 09:49 AM.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to pretends2bnormal For This Useful Post:

    Sonny1318 (05-11-2019)

  6. #5
    BPnet Veteran Alexiel03's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-20-2010
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    731
    Thanks
    163
    Thanked 531 Times in 244 Posts
    Images: 43

    Re: Looking at Bloods....

    I just recently got a blood, a beautiful T- Albino, and she is so sweet, not hissy or defensive at all. I got her from NERD.
    Most captive bred bloods have good dispositions now compared to say 10 or so years ago.

    The 007 aka goldeneye is gorgeous! I eventually want to get a magpie blood, they are out of my price range right now, but someday I will have one

    Sent from my LGL164VL using Tapatalk

    Bps:
    0.1 Mojave BP (Liliana)
    0.1 Firefly BP (Chandra)
    0.1 Pastel GHI
    0.1 Pied 50% het Ghost
    0.1 Leopard Mojave
    0.1 Orange Dream Fire Yellowbelly
    0.1 Sugar Spider
    0.1 Desert Ghost
    0.1 Lesser 66% het Orange Ghost
    1.0 Fire Bee (Garruk)
    1.0 Leopard BP (Ajani)
    1.0 Butter Pastel BP (Diesel)
    1.0 Banana Pastel Enchi
    1.0 Lemon Pastel Enchi

    Non BPs:
    1.0 Sunfire Retic (Helios)R.I.P.
    1.0 Albino Burmese Python (Slayer)
    0.1 Normal het Granite Burmese Python (Pandora)
    0.2 Calico Cats (Mana and Elizabeth)
    0.1 Dog (pitbull lab mix) (Nova)

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Alexiel03 For This Useful Post:

    Sonny1318 (05-11-2019)

  8. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    01-30-2010
    Posts
    171
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 153 Times in 69 Posts
    Bloods are great! Definitely one of my favorites to keep. I had only two individuals over the years (out of about 7 total) that were cranky...the rest were all super mellow. I threw one of my old t shirts in with the first one and she ended up being puppy dog tame. The second one I purchased as a large adult male and you could do whatever you wanted with him for about 10 min and then you were done. He was very vocal and would twitch his tail, so he always gave me fair warning and I never got tagged. I always kept my babies in small tubs (like a ball) to feel secure and I didnt worry about a hot spot, just the ambient temps.

  9. #7
    Registered User Skyrivers's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-15-2018
    Posts
    2,425
    Thanks
    121
    Thanked 1,765 Times in 1,003 Posts

    Re: Looking at Bloods....

    Quote Originally Posted by kristan View Post
    Bloods are great! Definitely one of my favorites to keep. I had only two individuals over the years (out of about 7 total) that were cranky...the rest were all super mellow. I threw one of my old t shirts in with the first one and she ended up being puppy dog tame. The second one I purchased as a large adult male and you could do whatever you wanted with him for about 10 min and then you were done. He was very vocal and would twitch his tail, so he always gave me fair warning and I never got tagged. I always kept my babies in small tubs (like a ball) to feel secure and I didnt worry about a hot spot, just the ambient temps.
    Thank you for responding. Would you recommend looking at adults vs hatchlings?

  10. #8
    Registered User sur3fir3's Avatar
    Join Date
    03-07-2019
    Posts
    364
    Thanks
    124
    Thanked 212 Times in 122 Posts

    Re: Looking at Bloods....

    So.. I've only had my Blood for 2 months so far, and I have to say that I abslutely love him. Given he is a PITA to feed. But overall I love him. The colors are exceptional with this breed, and even thought my male is not even close to getting his adult colors, it is still pretty. My expeience is as follows. at first I had a normal phase female. this female was definitely on the nippy size, and was quite a showboater when you would try to pick her up. I got bit by her once. Then I went to the pat store to get her sexed, and I fell in love with the T- Albino I now have. At that time I traded my female + a couple buchs and got this male. This male is exceptionally well behaved, but he has issues with feeding. If I handle him within 48 hours of feeding I found that most of the time he doesn't take the food. So now I that I figured that out, I am starting to handle him a bit different.
    1.0 T- Blood Python - Sangre
    1.0 Kahl Albino 100% Het Anery - Floyd
    0.1 - Human - Nebraska Locality - Tiara

  11. #9
    Registered User Skyrivers's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-15-2018
    Posts
    2,425
    Thanks
    121
    Thanked 1,765 Times in 1,003 Posts

    Re: Looking at Bloods....

    Quote Originally Posted by sur3fir3 View Post
    So.. I've only had my Blood for 2 months so far, and I have to say that I abslutely love him. Given he is a PITA to feed. But overall I love him. The colors are exceptional with this breed, and even thought my male is not even close to getting his adult colors, it is still pretty. My expeience is as follows. at first I had a normal phase female. this female was definitely on the nippy size, and was quite a showboater when you would try to pick her up. I got bit by her once. Then I went to the pat store to get her sexed, and I fell in love with the T- Albino I now have. At that time I traded my female + a couple buchs and got this male. This male is exceptionally well behaved, but he has issues with feeding. If I handle him within 48 hours of feeding I found that most of the time he doesn't take the food. So now I that I figured that out, I am starting to handle him a bit different.

    Thanks for sharing. I fallowed your thread and did not have proper experience to advise to I simply listened to you and the advice that was given to you.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.1