Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,856

0 members and 2,856 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts

More exotic animals in community than you might think

https://columbustelegram.com/news/lo...b539e9419.html

Sigh. From the article:
    Ball Pythons, for example, can get up to 6 feet in length. There have been many instances where people have been killed by them.
    You can leave comments at the link. Please be polite!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-04-2019),Toad37 (05-04-2019)

BPnet Senior Member richardhind1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,173 Times in 3,204 Posts

Re: More exotic animals in community than you might think

It won't let me view this, this is what I get,

why would anyone put this, its really great for the hobby idiot's

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Columbus Animal Control
    More exotic animals in community than you might think

“Even the tiniest Poodle or Chihuahua is still a wolf at heart.” -Dorothy Hinshaw

Move over Fido and Tabby, there is a new scalier best friend that humans are wanting. Last article, I talked about the domestication of our four-legged furry friends. This time, I will talk about the rise of the more unusual pets: The Exotics.

Lions, tigers and bears. No way. Although some people get permits to own these animals, these are not the exotics that I am talking about.

Geckos, chinchillas and boas are more in the realm of exotics. Much to the chagrin of the general public of Columbus, we do have some exotics in town.

Birds under 12 inches are no longer considered exotic, as other communities follow this standard. But, a macaw has remained in the group due to its size. This leaves the community of exotics to a handful of snakes, some chinchillas, some hedgehogs and a couple of tortoises. But, I know some people outside of city limits that own raccoons, foxes, skunks and many other strange and unusual animals.

The exotic pet trade is a huge business. Recently, there was an auction in Fremont for exotics. Later this year it will be in Pender and then Madison. Outside of Norfolk, I know of a guy that breeds many different species of snakes. In general, all these exotics are not dangerous, and if you get them at a young age, they will adapt to you but there is still some risk.

Public safety could be jeopardized if the animal happens to escape. The same risks could be said for a person in their home. Ball Pythons, for example, can get up to 6 feet in length. There have been many instances where people have been killed by them. This is why precautions must be taken.

I know what you are thinking. How could a soft furry chinchilla kill its owner? It can’t, but they are very delicate and must be handled as such. Their bones are fragile and can break easily with improper handling.

Hurting people with attacks is only one risk toward humans. The other is disease. Some animals are known to carry herpes or hepatitis. Many reptile species carry salmonella. It is estimated by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) that around 90,000 salmonella cases are from exposure to reptiles each year. An animal down south that people like to try to get for pets is an armadillo. These are known carriers of leprosy.

It is perfectly all right to have many different species of exotic animals in the City of Columbus. A permit must be obtained from animal control. This is for not only your safety but also the community’s safety. This is a city ordinance. It does not matter if you have a harmless garter snake or a 12-foot Red Tail boa, you need a permit.

To obtain a permit, one must fill out an application with a $20 processing fee. Then one needs to notify their neighbors with a notification list provided by the city. This is the only hard part, but it is only a 300-foot area around your home. This is normally 20 – 30 homes. The flyer that you hand out just informs them about your pet. They have the right to contact Animal Control about it and learn more. You will have to get a medical check on your animal. Then there is a hearing with the city administrator, chief of police, animal control, and you.

Shawn Flowers is lead officer for Columbus Animal Control.

Last edited by Bogertophis; 05-04-2019 at 02:46 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (05-04-2019)

Thanks
    For anyone having trouble reading the link, I posted above.

And about this: " Ball Pythons, for example, can get up to 6 feet in length. There have been many instances where people have been killed by them. " I'm betting they cannot
    name even ONE person killed by a ball python.
    Such ignorance... Yes, a few by much larger constrictors, but not anywhere NEAR as many as people killed by
    dogs or horses, take your pick.

Their regulations are just way out of proportion scary! How many people living in that city will be able to keep a snake after seeking permission from 20-30
    surrounding homes if it only takes one to irrationally object??? This is just pathetic and very skewed against the pets we love, IMO. And on top of that a formal HEARING with police chief etc. all for even a garter snake??? That's just INSANE.

Hey bcr229, is this Columbus, Ohio? There are many cities around called "Columbus"...

But no matter where this is, this is why we need all the help we can get from organizations like USARK, plus a good positive local out-reach with the pets we love,
    to end the prejudice & ignorance & protect the future of keeping & breeding them. Do not let down your guard, folks...
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 05-04-2019 at 03:03 PM.

Thanks

Cats and dogs both can carry salmonella not just reptiles. And a 12 ft boa? While possible that's pretty rare. The ignorance of some people really upsets me. The difference between fear and respect is knowledge.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Toad37 For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (05-04-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts

If you scroll to the bottom of the web page it says Columbus, NE.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-04-2019)

Thanks
    I looked around, but somehow missed that- thanks

BPnet Senior Member richardhind1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,173 Times in 3,204 Posts

Thanks for that bogertophis
    Really makes me cross people's ignorance

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    That part about armadillos carrying leprosy is true, by the way. But they generalize about Salmonella in "reptiles" when it's way more common for turtles to carry it-
    not snakes- but this way it adds justification for their level of concern about exotic pets and warnings about snakes in general. Good grief...

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Bodie (05-04-2019),richardhind1972 (05-04-2019),Toad37 (05-04-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    That part about armadillos carrying leprosy is true, by the way..

Yes it is ,but the statement in the article that people in the south keep them as pets is bogus like the rest of the article. I have lived in the south my whole life (48 years) and I have never heard or known of anyone that has kept an Armadillo as a pet. If anything they are considered a pest. They will tear up a yard digging for worms....With that said I do know quite of few that will eat an Armadillo, but that's a whole other story
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa (Northern)
    0.1 Green Tree Python (Aru)
    0.1 Pueblan Milk Snake
    1.0 Mexican Black Kingsnake
    1.0 Pied Het Lavender Albino Ball Python
    1.0 Yellow Phase Eastern Hognose

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bodie For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (05-04-2019),Bogertophis (05-04-2019),Toad37 (05-04-2019)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast