Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,268

0 members and 2,268 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Exclamation Help!! Somewhat unique issue with heating in cage.

So I have this beautiful young butter enchi ball python and we love her to death which is why I'm freaking out in short the heating mat we originally had worked with our electricity here in Israel which is 220v the issue is it gets so hot that it heats up the glass to like 50 degrees celcius or 122 degrees farenheit which is way too hot and frightens me that if she pushes aside the substrate shell get hurt and due to the lack of snake owners in Israel I had to order online a thermostat and heat pad but they were American made so I bought an adapter that lowers the voltage to 110/120v here's my issue when I set up the thermostat I used aquarium silicon to glue the probe against the bottom of the tank to prevent it overheating the glass and set it to 38 degrees celcius which is 100.4 f and yet the hot hide temperature doesn't rise above 29.1 C or 84.4 F and the cold side and hide won't rise above 26.4 C or 79.5 F there is about a fourth of an inch of substrate at the bottom of the tank it's a mix of exoterra jungle floor substrate and sphagnum moss to keep up humidity which hovers at around 50% I'm really worried I don't want her to be too cold and get sick or worse should I be freaking out am I right to be afraid of these temperatures? Should I put the old heat mat back?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,076 Posts
    Are you measuring the temperature at the glass? Don't read the temps on top of the substrate. 100f is too hot. It should be 90F. Also the probe needs to be between the glass and heat pad outside the tank.
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop
    Coilsome, Odyn, & Eeden AKA theLittleOne

0:1 Pastel Het Red Day Chocolate
    1:0 Normal
    0:0:1 Pueblan milk snake

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sunnieskys For This Useful Post:

JodanOrNoDan (05-06-2019)

Thanks

Re: Help!! Somewhat unique issue with heating in cage.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnieskys View Post
    Are you measuring the temperature at the glass? Don't read the temps on top of the substrate. 100f is too hot. It should be 90F. Also the probe needs to be between the glass and heat pad outside the tank.
    So should I turn it down to 90F even if the substrate reads at a much lower temp and the cold side doesnt rise above 80 F?and in regards to the probe why should it be outside the tank and not against the glass I've just heard a lot of different opinions from different places which is why I'm also asking here

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Diangelo View Post
    So should I turn it down to 90F even if the substrate reads at a much lower temp and the cold side doesnt rise above 80 F?and in regards to the probe why should it be outside the tank and not against the glass I've just heard a lot of different opinions from different places which is why I'm also asking here
    Yes the glass temperature is the one you dont want hotter than 90ish. Your snake will push substrate out of the way as it curls in its hide.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MattEvans View Post
    Yes the glass temperature is the one you dont want hotter than 90ish. Your snake will push substrate out of the way as it curls in its hide.
    All right thanks you've really helped a lot

Thanks
    Sounds to me like you are going to have to use some form of overhead heating, either CHE or RHP. Heat tape is designed to heat the surface, and will only raise air temp above it minimally. I have never been able to use it as sole source of heat for a BP. My home is at about 70-72 F and heat tape or a heat pad on a glass enclosure at a safe surface temperature will not get the air temp on the warm side above 77 or so, and cool side stays room temp. It is a little better in PVC but not much.
    0.1 Normal ball python Astrid
    1.0 banana bumblebee Samwise
    1.0 San Mattais rosy boa Charlie
    1.0 bearded dragon Gimli
    1.0 crested gecko Mr. Lizard

Thanks

Ok cool and that should raise the over all heat cuz this morning when we checked the cold side it was at 24.4 C or 75.5 F