Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,817

1 members and 2,816 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
    Thanks

Handling Protocol

This may sound silly but I could use some handling tips on my young BCI. I’ve had him for almost a year (currently weighs around 350-400grams). I try to handle him at least once a week but when I do, I always find a time when he’s in his hide to grab him. Whether it’s a confidence thing or what, I usually pass on trying to get him out when he’s out of his hide. I guess my fear is that I’ll struggle trying to pry him away from a branch and he’ll defensively strike at me. For the record, he’s only ever struck once when I first got him and once or twice at night time against the glass when walking close to his enclosure. He’s very food driven! Otherwise he’s been super docile when I have him out.

Am I making a mistake by only choosing to take him out when he’s in his hide??

Here’s some pictures of the little guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1.0 Motley IMG BCI - (Venom)

1.0 Super Ghost BCI - (Phantom)

1.0 Boxer - (Knox)

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ckuhn003 For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (05-05-2019),dakski (05-05-2019),MissterDog (05-04-2019)

Thanks

Re: Handling Protocol

Yours is about the size of my guyana bcc. With her, I started by using either a snake hook or leather glove to get her out of the enclosure, and once out I held her with bare hands. After I realized that she shows no real feeding or defensive reaction, I started just reaching in and scooping her up from behind and she always comes willingly.

With a truly food agressive snake like my Aussie water python, I always use a glove to get her out, and take it off once she simmers down in my arms.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Alter-Echo For This Useful Post:

ckuhn003 (05-04-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    Actually, I'm sorta the opposite...I hate to forcibly remove a snake from their "safe place" (hide) unless I really have to. The only boa (BCI) I've kept was
    pretty amenable to being picked up, except every once in a while when I approached her (& not when she was in shed) she just didn't want to be bothered &
    she'd hiss up a storm at me. But all I ever did was gently stroke her coils (not in her face!) until she gradually "remembered" that yes, she knew me & knew I
    was "safe"...when she quit being hissy, I gently worked my hands underneath her & picked her up out of her cage. Never once got a bite from her, not even one,
    and she originally was given to me (at one year old) because she blew thru a number of previous owners by biting vigorously, lol. With patience I showed her she
    had nothing to fear. Yours doesn't sound like he's at all eager to bite, & what I find is that snakes do NOT identify us visually...they rely on other cues (scent & our
    touch) to recognize us...so if you don't rush them, they accept being picked up quite well. In fact, mine actually hated to go back in her cage once she was out of
    her cage with me for a while...all because she learned to feel safe with me. That's really what you want to convey...safety...when you do that, your snake becomes
    "putty" in your hands.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

ckuhn003 (05-04-2019),JodanOrNoDan (05-06-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alter-Echo View Post
    Yours is about the size of my guyana bcc. With her, I started by using either a snake hook or leather glove to get her out of the enclosure, and once out I held her with bare hands. After I realized that she shows no real feeding or defensive reaction, I started just reaching in and scooping her up from behind and she always comes willingly.

With a truly food agressive snake like my Aussie water python, I always use a glove to get her out, and take it off once she simmers down in my arms.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk
    I use a snake hook each time I enter the enclosure to just tap and let him know that it's not feeding time. I've never used the hook to get him out, only to gently rub his side, etc... He's always been great when I get him out from under the hide but I'm always hesitant when he's already out and perched on a log.

1.0 Boxer - (Knox)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ckuhn003 For This Useful Post:

dakski (05-05-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,492 Times in 2,686 Posts

Your boa looks great CK! As long as I tap them with a hook my boas are really easy to get out of their enclosures . They're usually pretty mellow as long as there's no food around.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

10. The Following User Says Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

ckuhn003 (05-05-2019)

BPnet Senior Member CloudtheBoa's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 620 Posts
    I've seen people who only take their snakes out when they're out and about, but imo that can be pretty risky if you're trying to avoid bites. When they're out and about, they're more likely to be food responsive and/or defensive. I usually take my boas out when they're in their hides, or if they're sleeping out in the open, but I don't risk taking them out when they're active.

I didn't used to do this when I only had one or two snakes, as they were very docile and not food responsive, but as I've owned more and more, I've come to feel that giving them their space is optimal. Especially now that I've got my retic, it's best practice for me to be cautious at all times so as not to slip up. lol Retics can take foreeever to snap out of feeding mode some days.
    8.3 Boa imperator ('15 sunglow "Nymeria," '11 normal "Cloud," '16 anery motley "Crona," '10 ghost "Howl," '08 jungle "Dominika," '22 RC pastel hypo jungle "Aleister," '22 pastel normal "Gengar," '22 orangasm hypo "Daemon," '22 poss jungle "Jinzo," '22 poss jungle "Calcifer," '22 motley "Guin")
    1.4 Boa imperator; unnamed '22 hbs
    3.3 Plains garter snakes
    1.2 checkered garter snakes (unnamed)

~RIP~
    2.2 Brazilian rainbow boa ('15 Picasso stripe BRBs "Guin" and "Morzan, and '15 hypo "Homura", '14 normal "Sanji")
    1.0 garter snake ('13 albino checkered "Draco")
    1.0 eastern garter ('13 "Demigod)
    0.0.1 ball python ('06 "Bud")

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CloudtheBoa For This Useful Post:

ckuhn003 (05-05-2019),jmcrook (05-05-2019),richardhind1972 (05-05-2019)

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ckuhn003 View Post
    Am I making a mistake by only choosing to take him out when he’s in his hide??
    no, not at all.
    He is looking wonderful btw!

As others, I usually take mine out when they are resting after a nice hook touch to make sure they wake up and know it's not food time.
    For the Horde!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

ckuhn003 (05-05-2019),dakski (05-05-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

I do both. Either way, hook taps galore.

Neither Behira or Feliz mind as long as I tap first.

When Behira and Feliz are cruising and looking for food, lots and lots of taps and until their body language relaxes and shows me they are ready for handling.

I never pick them up with the hook. I also use the handle to tap, not the hook part.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

ckuhn003 (05-06-2019),richardhind1972 (05-05-2019)

Thanks
    Great advice everyone! I'll continue with what I'm doing (i.e. tap training and getting him out when he's in his hide). I have my lights on a timer so when they go off at 8pm, he's out and about looking for his next meal. Lately, he'll be out a couple hours earlier which makes it hard for a holding session. Basically, I need to get in their earlier

1.0 Boxer - (Knox)