Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,999

0 members and 2,999 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

New Retic Owner - Need Some Quick Advice.

Evening all,

So after months and months of research I finally have my first Retic.

He is an Purple Albino Genetic Stripe - I could not be happier with him! However, I am having a small problem that I'm struggling to find answers to online. I manage to break his "defensive mode" in his tub without much hassle and when he runs I have no problem picking him up - after a few seconds he gets curious and his tongue flicks become slower and more extended so on the face of things he calms down.....BUT THEN.... Out of nowhere he'll strike for seemingly no reason. I react calmly to the bites, he's 5months old so it hurts a little but I know to not stress him out by reacting.

My problem is that I'm kinda developing my own trust issues at this point, he'll be exploring and be completely fine and then BAM. Everything I find online focuses on basically getting them to break their tub response, from what I've seen nobody focuses on what to do if they are striking after seemingly calming down while handling.

Any advise? I've been making sure to make slow movements and keep the environment calm, I really don't know what is setting him off while he is already in my hands.

TIA!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,244 Times in 667 Posts
    You are seeing no signs or patterns?

does he coil back in an “s” before a strike...?

how long are you handling for? Maybe shorten your sessions.

It could be a lot of things but try and observe everything to pick up
    on a pattern.
    1.0 - Cinnamon Banana Ball Python (Thunder)
    1.0 - Yellow Belly High White Pied Ball Python (Pretty Fly For A White Guy)
    0.1 - Cinnamon GHI Ball Python (Leslie Snipes)
    1.0 - Dumerils Boa (Sushi)
    0.1 - Caye Caulker Boa (Lady Liberty)
    0.0.? - Mandarin Rat Snake (Bumble)
    1.0 - Mexican Black King (Rico Suave)
    1.0 - Black Tail Cribo (Goldar)
    0.1 - Jaguar Carpet Python (Cookie)
    1.0 - Vietnamese Blue Beauty (Elsa)
    1.0 - Green Tree Python (Banner)
    0.2 - Yellow/Quince Monitors (Blanche & Dorothy)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Phillydubs For This Useful Post:

Stealth (05-04-2019)

Thanks

Re: New Retic Owner - Need Some Quick Advice.

He doesn't go into a stance, I would pick up on that pretty quickly. It seems more like he gets a freight and just goes for it, without even coiling.

I'm trying to find a pattern but because every session results in a bite eventually it's difficult to focus properly.

So far the longest I've gone without being bitten is about 10mins and I've been trying to handle 1-3 times a day.

I'm contemplating leaving him alone for a week or two but then again that might result in new problems so if that is advised some pointers for me would be helpful to keep him from getting too defensive.

Just find it so strange it happens while he has already gone into "thinking mode", it's like there is a ghost jumping out and screaming BOO at him.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,857 Times in 4,778 Posts
    This is actually normal for a defensive baby and they will trigger off of movement and/or shadows across the room, even blowing air - I had an adult boa lash out at a small fan as I walked by it. You just need to keep working with him.

Keep handling sessions very short - under five minutes a few times daily - and when he relaxes immediately put him back before he even has a chance to strike.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (05-05-2019),CloudtheBoa (05-04-2019),Gio (05-04-2019),Stealth (05-04-2019)

Thanks

Thanks for the advice.

I'll put him back in before the strike happens. I've been trying to go as long as possible with the idea that he will eventually realize I have no desire to eat him!

I'll give this method a go, because the bites are starting to make me sad! One of my bucket list snakes and all I want to do is be friends. I have a suspicion that the breeder didn't handle often. Luckily he is still small enough for me to try and correct the habits (I hope).

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Stealth For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (05-04-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,857 Times in 4,778 Posts

This is a good video in how to handle defensive snakes. Note that you primarily support the back 2/3 of their bodies without being restrictive, so the snake doesn't feel trapped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDjlg1njtfY

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-10-2019),Gio (05-05-2019),jmcrook (05-04-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts
    One question I have.

When handling, are you constantly in contact with him or do you let him settle?

I have had small issues handling when I would let my guy settle for a period and then start moving or touching him again. The handling wasn't constant, I'd handle him and then when he calmed a bit I'd let him settle. When I would resume contact, it was almost like he'd settled back into his cage mode and he'd get antsy when I would touch him again.

What I found that helped was continual petting or touching him to let him know he was still being handled.

Now I have a handleable snake, but he's still not a joy to remove from his cage.

Hopefully you can keep working with yours and get it on track.
    Last edited by Gio; 05-04-2019 at 11:27 PM.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (05-05-2019),Bogertophis (05-10-2019),CloudtheBoa (05-04-2019),jmcrook (05-05-2019)

BPnet Senior Member CloudtheBoa's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 620 Posts
    Make sure not to inhibit his movements too much, if you're grabbing tight onto him, that can make them lash out, too. Some retics can be quite wriggly.

I've had similar experiences to Gio with my female retic as well, they don't do too well if allowed to their own devices for too long.

1-3 times a day is pretty excessive, I'd cut that back to 1-3 times a week myself. I handle my snakes maybe a couple times a month, but they should be fine even handling a few times a week. I wouldn't do daily, let alone multiple times a day.
    8.3 Boa imperator ('15 sunglow "Nymeria," '11 normal "Cloud," '16 anery motley "Crona," '10 ghost "Howl," '08 jungle "Dominika," '22 RC pastel hypo jungle "Aleister," '22 pastel normal "Gengar," '22 orangasm hypo "Daemon," '22 poss jungle "Jinzo," '22 poss jungle "Calcifer," '22 motley "Guin")
    1.4 Boa imperator; unnamed '22 hbs
    3.3 Plains garter snakes
    1.2 checkered garter snakes (unnamed)

~RIP~
    2.2 Brazilian rainbow boa ('15 Picasso stripe BRBs "Guin" and "Morzan, and '15 hypo "Homura", '14 normal "Sanji")
    1.0 garter snake ('13 albino checkered "Draco")
    1.0 eastern garter ('13 "Demigod)
    0.0.1 ball python ('06 "Bud")

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CloudtheBoa For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (05-05-2019),Bogertophis (05-10-2019),Gio (05-05-2019),GoingPostal (05-06-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Try and explain how / where/ when the bites are coming ..

I’ve had a few young Retics over the years and they always seemed to have a nip when they felt unsure as they were being handled .. just make sure they’re well supported if you’re holding them or better still let them
    slither around ( with you next to them) -when you pick them up or reach for them approach from behind never reach straight towards their face / teeth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    This is a good video in how to handle defensive snakes. Note that you primarily support the back 2/3 of their bodies without being restrictive, so the snake doesn't feel trapped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDjlg1njtfY
    Great Viedo.

Sent from my LG-Q710PL using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast