Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,067

3 members and 3,064 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Phase?

Thanks

What Phase?

I'm new to the crested scene. I was wondering if someone could help me with the "phase"--I think that what it's called--of these:

I had to post this one:

Thanks

Re: What Phase?

the 2nd pic is a brindle or tiger
    the 4th pic looks to be fire or harlequin, the more pattern on the sides and legs is a harlequin, less pattern on the sides and legs and just down the dorsal are flames and fires.

vaughn

Thanks

I agree, the first looks like an orange tiger, the fourth a tiger with some flames on the side. The third looks like it's going to be a solid red. You'll be able to tell the older they get... babies don't start showing their "adult" colors until they're around 4-5 months old. And cresties usually show their colors much brighter at night, when they're "fired-up".

But aren't they soooooo cute!!!

Thanks

Oh yes, they are great. Jumpy SOBs though. I love the color in the first one. Also, I have been feeding them daily, but they don't seem to eat too much. Is this normal? The ambient temp seems to be around 75 or so. The lady I bought them from said that would be fine, but I always want your opinions most. I have a heat pad under the tank, but as you can see it's a big tank and that doesn't seem to do too much--except fog up the inside every day regularly...LOL.

Thanks

75 is just fine. As long as the temps don't go below 60 or so. They like room temp. And the fog won't hurt them... I have to mist mine down a couple times a day to keep the humidity up. They like to drink the water off the plants. As for them not eating much... cresties have very small stomachs and won't eat much as adults, let alone little babies. The only way I can even tell if they're eating or not is by looking too see if they're still using the bathroom They don't take much at all.

Most geckos will also lose that jumpiness as they get older, too. Especially if you hold them a few time a week for a few minutes at a time... should help tame them down a bit.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,326 Times in 1,368 Posts
    Blog Entries

75 is a great temp for cresteds. you don't want it to get much above 82 or so for any extended period of time or it is actually harmful to them. unless it gets really cold where you are keeping them--below the mid 60s--you probably don't need the heat pad at all.

to help tame them you can try feeding them crested gecko diet or baby food by hand. when mine are babies i put a little dab of it on their noses and when they start licking it off i hold up a little baby sized spoon for them to eat out of. this helps them get used to you and lets you know that they are in fact eating.
    - Emily

Thanks

Thumbs up Re: What Phase?

Thank you, both of you. I'll try feeding them every now and again with my hands and I guess I don't need the heat pad at all then...cool. It never goes under seventy in my house...my girls don't like the cold LOL. I was wondering if they need crix at all. I've been told yes and no. I don't like keeping crix around because I find them all over, but I really like these guys and don't want to not feed them right either.

Thanks again,
    Jim

Thanks
    Blog Entries

if you can get them on a steady diet of cgd they don't need crickets. some find that young cresteds grow faster with the addition of crickets but they aren't absolutely necessary. i still give all my cresteds crickets at least once a week though for the protein and just because they really love them.
    - Emily

Thanks

cgd? crested gecko diet? if so i got it.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

yup. i like to mix mine with a little bit of plain fat free yogurt along with the water. it helps make the mix a nicer consistency that doesn't dry up as quickly. you can also add fresh fruit to the mix, just make sure to mash it up really well so it isn't too chunky.
    - Emily

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast