Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,074

1 members and 3,073 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts

Moldy rotten egg.

Update, the very moldy egg and the little bit of moldy egg attached to it are still moldy.
    All the other eggs are fine so far.
    So it looks as Deb said.

The mold is at the top, and not the bottom where it sits in vermiculite. I believe it was condensation dripping from the plastic wrap.

I removed the wrap on the 4 clutches and just put back the snap close lid, as the Saran wrap can sag if not careful!

2 out of 27 is acceptable, I suppose.
    Last edited by Godzilla78; 05-04-2019 at 10:32 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Godzilla78 For This Useful Post:

rufretic (05-04-2019),Timelugia (05-14-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,795 Times in 11,828 Posts

Re: Moldy rotten egg.

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla78 View Post
    Update, the very moldy egg and the little bit of moldy egg attached to it are still moldy.
    So it looks as Deb said.

The mold is at the top, and not the bottom where it sits in vermiculite. I believe it was condensation dripping from the plastic wrap.

I removed the wrap on the 4 clutches and just put back the snap close lid, as the Saran wrap can sag if not careful!

In my humble experience with snake eggs, it's too moist if condensation is dripping from the plastic wrap...although I also had several pin-holes in the plastic wrap.
    Did you do that (make pin holes in plastic) as well? or not? While I agree that you never want drips of water onto eggs (they can drown), it's by no means the only
    reason that eggs get moldy...some just aren't viable & they go bad, with or without water drips. When I had condensation like that, I opened it up for a bit (I lived
    in the desert then, it was easy to get rid of "humidity") and then recovered them after some time (maybe a day?)...that helped, & the eggs later hatched.

All the best with your eggs...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (05-05-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,186 Times in 695 Posts

So it looks as Deb said.

Good to hear.
    I originally used press & seal for my first clutch and found the same thing, it makes for too much condensation and unwanted dripping. I have since just used the closed tub, no holes, and found the humidity still stays near 100% but without so much condensation.
    If you only lose two out of the 27, I'd say your having a very successful first year breeding

6. The Following User Says Thank You to rufretic For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (05-05-2019)

Thanks
    I agree, losing 2 or 3 out of 27 is pretty normal, not something to beat yourself up over.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

rufretic (05-05-2019)

Thanks

Well bad news. The whole clutch went bad. It was obviously more than just mold, it was some sort of bacteria or fungus as well that spread among the attached eggs.

The other clutches of eggs are totally fine. It is a bit frustrating and disappointing, as I am still not sure why this happened to this particular clutch and not the others. I will definitely really extremely cautious when I am setting up incubation tubs from now on, and make sure to keep everything sterile.

The bad clutch was firefly pied x het pied ... 8 eggs.

3 other clutches are doing perfectly fine. Good luck breeders!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,186 Times in 695 Posts

Well bad news. The whole clutch went bad. It was obviously more than just mold, it was some sort of bacteria or fungus as well that spread among the attached eggs.

The other clutches of eggs are totally fine. It is a bit frustrating and disappointing, as I am still not sure why this happened to this particular clutch and not the others. I will definitely really extremely cautious when I am setting up incubation tubs from now on, and make sure to keep everything sterile.

The bad clutch was firefly pied x het pied ... 8 eggs.

3 other clutches are doing perfectly fine. Good luck breeders!
    That's terrible news, I feel for you man Would of been a really nice clutch too. Not that it will make you feel any better, but I think it's more common than people talk about here to lose a clutch, sometimes things just go wrong and it's out of your hands. I doubt there was anything you could of done to save them. It's possible it could of just been a bad clutch too, and it would of happened no matter what. I have a friend that has quite a few clutches every year and last year it just seemed like he had really bad luck, lost a few clutches with no apparent reason. They all looked good when laying but for whatever reason they went bad. He had others setup exactly the same and in the incubator at the same time that hatched perfectly but for who knows what reason, some of them just went bad.

Don't let it get you down. Focus on the remaining clutches your lucky enough to have and I'm sure you'll still end up hatching some awesome babies. You're far ahead of me so far, I have been lucky enough not to have any serious problems the last couple years of breeding but this year I can't even get a clutch laid lol. Good luck with the rest of your clutches, I can't wait to see what you hatch out.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rufretic For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-13-2019),Godzilla78 (05-13-2019)

Thanks
    At first I was really frustrated and upset. Made me think of all the struggles of having a large reptile collection. The difficulty keeping them in perfect conditions, always watching their health and husbandry parameters. The frustration of having over half your ball python collection not eat, lol. Its enough o drive one mad!

I've determined to only buckle down and work harder than ever on keeping my ball pythons healthy, just learn, and move on.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    did u happen to take any photos?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sur3fir3 View Post
    did u happen to take any photos?
    No, I should have, but didn't think about it. It did look like fungus or bacteria spreading among the snake eggs

Thanks
    So sorry for your loss...some clutches just aren't meant to be, not necessarily anything you did or didn't do. But I get the frustration... ....
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 05-13-2019 at 11:41 PM.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (05-14-2019),rufretic (05-14-2019)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast