Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,511

5 members and 3,506 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

New Snake Mama, be kind :)

HIIII Snake People!
    I'm a new snake mama...first one ever. Naomi is a BP about 9 months old (I think?)
    I was hoping for any basic tips, advice, anecdotes even, that you all want to throw at me.
    I also wanted to know what color you think she is? I'm not sure the terminology yet...what morph she is, is that it?
    Also can someone please teach me how to post a picture? Please go easy on me, I've never been involved in forums before.
    Thank you in advance

Thanks

Re: New Snake Mama, be kind :)

Ok wait I see instructions on the photo question. I'm going to attempt it.

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts
    Honest, I only need one more ...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JodanOrNoDan For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (05-01-2019)

Thanks

Thanks
    Your snake has had a really bad shed, but nothing that can't be fixed. Make sure your humidity levels are good. What color are the eyes? Pleas get a shot of the belly if you can.
    Last edited by JodanOrNoDan; 05-01-2019 at 04:00 PM.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JodanOrNoDan For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (05-01-2019),NaomiTheBabyBP (05-01-2019),Sonny1318 (05-09-2019)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    First off, welcome to the forum and the wonderful world of snake keeping!!!

Your new pet seems to have some shed issues, but that's a simple fix.

In order to help you out we'll need to know more. Answering the following questions will help us determine where you need help....

1) what type and size enclosure are you using?
    2) how are you heating the enclosure?
    3) VERY IMPORTANT - ARE YOUR HEAT SOURCES REGULATED BY A THERMOSTAT????
    4) How are you measuring temps and where?
    5) what are your temps? Humidity?
    6) are you handling the snake?
    7) has the snake eaten since you got it?
    8) if so, what size prey?
    9) How much does the snake weigh?

I'm sure we'll have more questions once we know more, but this will get us started.

OH, and many of us use the free app tapatalk to upload pics. Super easy
    Last edited by Craiga 01453; 05-01-2019 at 04:08 PM.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-01-2019),gunkle (05-01-2019),JodanOrNoDan (05-01-2019),NaomiTheBabyBP (05-01-2019),Sonny1318 (05-09-2019)

Thanks

Wow I have some homework to do!
    I'm going to go down this list and answer one by one best I can. I can't tell you how cool this is and how much I appreciate your help.

Regarding her shed, I did do a little research there and realized that this indeed a bad shed. I didn't have anything rough enough for her to rub on apparently, so that was one problem. Humidity was the next, so I bought a humidifier and I have it going in my room (not directly in or against her enclosure.) I soaked her twice with close supervision, not too deep where she had to swim. She didn't love it the first time, but the second time she did seem to appreciate it more. Also with the newer rough log arch I just got, I noticed more skin had been shed and rubbed off but I haven't taken her out to look yet because I fed her two days ago and I like to leave her be for two or so days after. She is currently eating live fuzzies- she is hungry weekly. I was giving her two up until two days ago and upped it to three. She took it happily. I have a new mom fear of increasing the size of her food...but I know y'all will help me I'm sure with that.

I just recently put in that EcoRep coconut dirt looking substrate. I previously had the shaving type specifically for snakes but it didn't seem very comfortable in my opinion so I changed it. I have a rock hide for her on the heat side, a log arch with rough bark on her cool side. I also have a water bowl that seems slightly small, but she doesn't love to bathe that I've seen. I just purchased a standard reptile thermometer & humidity gage. I'm fearful of how to attach...I've heard horror stories of them coming undone and snakes getting stuck and ripping their skin off on the adhesive left behind. I tried suction cup ones, but they are useless and don't stay attached. What should the temp be on each side? Humidity?

Also the heating source- I have a heating pad that's attached on the outside underside, then I laid reptile carpet, and then poured the substate on top.

I will follow up with some more pictures of enclosure and of Naomi in a little while because I am not home at the moment.
    You all are awesome, thank you.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to NaomiTheBabyBP For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-01-2019)

Thanks
    Ok, so this is meant as help, not criticism. The idea is to get the animal thriving. I am sure others will have more input.

Heat source must be regulated with a thermostat. Ball pythons will cook themselves (Do a search on burns here)

There is no need to soak the snake. A damp towel that they can crawl through is sufficient.

If you are keeping the animal in a fish tank, you will continue to have humidity issues. I will leave it up to someone else to help you there. I keep mine in tubs.

A snake of the size this one appears to be should be eating at least a rat pup weekly. Possibly a weaned rat.

Ditch the repticarpet. All it does is harbor bacteria.

The stick on thermometers/ humidity gauges are total garbage that you might as well toss.

Absolutely nothing with sticky anything can go in the enclosure.

There are a lot of people here with a lot of animals. Feel free to ask away.

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JodanOrNoDan For This Useful Post:

Bodie (05-01-2019),Craiga 01453 (05-01-2019),gunkle (05-01-2019),NaomiTheBabyBP (05-01-2019),Sonny1318 (05-09-2019)

Thanks

I'm here to take all the advice I can. I am not offended at all. I know some people get kind of touchy, but I'm here for a reason- to learn!
    I'm just a newbie trying to learn from the big dogs.
    I should just return the stupid temp and humidity things I got. Never opened them because I was so skeptical.
    I do have her in a "tank"..and it does seem so hard to keep wet in there. But--and no criticism here either, because I don't know what I'm talking about, but I don't love the idea of a tub :/ But again, I want what is very best for my little love.
    No carpet then? What if she burrows in and touches the glass above the pad? What temp/humidity gauges are best without breaking the bank? Otherwise, I would just have to save up for the best of the best if that's necessary.
    How big are these rat pups? What do you use to determine the size of prey that is appropriate? She seems so small to me. But then again, don't know what I'm saying. She looks like she's choking when she's not, that obviously something I have to get used to. That's what snakes do, they eat prey that is seemingly too large to an untrained eye, right?
    How do I weigh her by the way? And all I know is what the reptile store told me, is there an accurate way to age her, or is that based on her weight?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to NaomiTheBabyBP For This Useful Post:

JodanOrNoDan (05-01-2019)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    All good info above from Jodan.

To piggyback on some of what he said...

Fuzzies are way too small for a BP (assuming you mean fuzzy mice). They eat hoppers for the first 3-5 meals out of the egg and quickly move up to small adult mice.

Ideally you want two identical hides, and the half logs aren't great for BPs. They do much better with single entry cave style hides that fit snug, almost like a turtle shell.

Your temps should be: hot spot 89-90, cool side arpund 80 and ambient around 84.
    These should be checked with digital thermometer for ambient and a temp gun for hot and cool spot.

Humidity should be 50-60% and bumped up to around 70% during shed.

EXTREMELY IMPORTANT- ALL HEAT SOURCES SHOULD BE REGULATED BY A THERMOSTAT.
    Please unplug your heat mat until you get one. Google search snake burns if you need to.

Ditch the reptile carpet. Like Jodan said, it's a breeding ground for bacteria.

ALSO VERY IMPORTANT- nothing sticky ever in a snake enclosure. Ditch the stickons (incredibly inaccurate) and get a digital thermometer and hygrometer combo. I use Accurites found at Wal-Mart for around $10. I have two in each enclosure.

I've been using glass enclosures for many years, so if you need tips to help with temp and humidity control in happy to help, just ask.

Feel free to ask all the questions you need to. We're happy to help and we were all new once.

Ok, you were typing while I was, hahahaha, so I'll answer your follow ups too...

She can, and WILL burrow and touch the heating pad. That's why a thermostat is so important. Jumpstart is a great affordable tstat for about $40.
    Those heat mats can spike up to 120°. Those temps can severely burn or even kill a snake.

I'll attach a feeding chart in a minute...

I use a kitchen scale from Wal-Mart to weigh my snakes.

There are two general rules of thumb for feeding juvenile BPs...
    1) feed 10-15% of the snakes body weight.
    2) feed a prey item as wide around as the snake at its widest point.
    There should be a slightly noticeable lump after the snake eats.
    Snakes are very good at eating prey larger than many people can imagine. But they are built to eat when they can. Often times in nature they will only eat a few meals a year, so they need to be efficient. Their jaws are actually two seperate pieces on the bottom so that they can seperate them and work the food down.

As for age, their are simply too many variables to give you an accurate age.
    Last edited by Craiga 01453; 05-01-2019 at 05:25 PM.

17. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bodie (05-01-2019),Bogertophis (05-01-2019),gunkle (05-01-2019),Kira (05-09-2019),NaomiTheBabyBP (05-09-2019),Sonny1318 (05-09-2019),Timelugia (05-01-2019)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast