Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,843

0 members and 2,843 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
    Thanks

Reptilinks for boas

I tried doing a search and saw where a few people feed reptilinks to their collections. I'm going to try the omnivore mix for my beardie, but I was wondering if anyone feeds reptilinks to their boa? My BP is far too picky, but I may try the boa on them once my rat pups are gone. Anyone have any experiences to share?

NOTE: I wouldn't feed the omnivore mix to a snake
    Last edited by ladywhipple02; 04-30-2019 at 10:50 AM.

Thanks

Re: Reptilinks for boas

I found this old thread which helped: https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...links!!!/page3

If anyone has experiences specific to boa that would be great, otherwise I think I have my answer

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    I have fed ReptiLinks to both BI's and BRB's. As I said in the other thread, once you get over 25 grams I would recommend switching over to whole prey, as the wrap/twist action that a boa uses to constrict its prey will rip the longer links in half. The links at 25 grams and under are too short for the boa to get a good enough grip on it to tear it apart.

There's no reason you couldn't feed the meat/veggie mix to a snake unless you're worried about the smell putting them off. The meat-only ReptiLinks don't have the offal (stomach and intestine contents) that a snake would normally get with whole prey, so the occasional omnivore link may not be a bad idea for them.
    Last edited by bcr229; 04-30-2019 at 11:37 AM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-30-2019),ladywhipple02 (04-30-2019)

Thanks
    May I respectfully ask why you'd use rat/mouse sausage to feed a snake?
    Last edited by JRLongton; 04-30-2019 at 01:50 PM.
    \m/

Thanks

Two reasons:

Convenience. I'm going to be buying some anyway for the dragon, and Reptilinks requires a minimum $75 order to ship. $75 worth of links is a lot for one dragon... though Reptilinks also sells whole animals so I can combine orders if needed.

Cost. In my small little town, it's hard to come by food for any of my reptiles. I pretty much have to have everything shipped in. Reptilinks offers a variety of different links with rabbit, quail, rat, mouse, ASF, etc, and their shipping is reasonable. If I can offer my reptiles more variety at a cheaper cost, it's worth a try.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ladywhipple02 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-30-2019),JRLongton (04-30-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts

ReptiLinks aren't rat/mouse, they are rabbit, quail, guinea fowl, chicken, frog, and lizard (iguana).

I used the rabbit links for one boa that, while young, came to me with a wide rear end due to being overfed and I wanted very lean meals for her.

Young hognose also do very well on the frog mini and micro links when they are tiny if they are picky about taking mouse pinkies.

Lizard links are an option for people whose snakes would normally eat anoles, since feeder anoles aren't all that easy to get.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-30-2019),jmcrook (04-30-2019),JRLongton (04-30-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    Young hognose also do very well on the frog mini and micro links when they are tiny if they are picky about taking mouse pinkies.

Lizard links are an option for people whose snakes would normally eat anoles, since feeder anoles aren't all that easy to get.
    Woah! So you could buy "lizard links" and feed a Green Vine snake? That's fantastic! Those are gorgeous animals but, as I understand they will only eat lizards and frogs, and are therefore not often kept in captivity.

I almost didn't ask, I'm glad I did.
    \m/

11. The Following User Says Thank You to JRLongton For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-30-2019)

BPnet Senior Member CloudtheBoa's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 620 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    I have fed ReptiLinks to both BI's and BRB's. As I said in the other thread, once you get over 25 grams I would recommend switching over to whole prey, as the wrap/twist action that a boa uses to constrict its prey will rip the longer links in half. The links at 25 grams and under are too short for the boa to get a good enough grip on it to tear it apart.

There's no reason you couldn't feed the meat/veggie mix to a snake unless you're worried about the smell putting them off. The meat-only ReptiLinks don't have the offal (stomach and intestine contents) that a snake would normally get with whole prey, so the occasional omnivore link may not be a bad idea for them.
    I'm curious as to why feeding an obligate carnivore - such as a snake - with any substantial non-meat matter would be considered acceptable? They cannot digest it, the veggies would just halve (or more) the amount of nutrition the snake could get from the links, and cause other unknown issues. There's no way the veggie mix would add any nutritional value. Just feed whole prey.
    8.3 Boa imperator ('15 sunglow "Nymeria," '11 normal "Cloud," '16 anery motley "Crona," '10 ghost "Howl," '08 jungle "Dominika," '22 RC pastel hypo jungle "Aleister," '22 pastel normal "Gengar," '22 orangasm hypo "Daemon," '22 poss jungle "Jinzo," '22 poss jungle "Calcifer," '22 motley "Guin")
    1.4 Boa imperator; unnamed '22 hbs
    3.3 Plains garter snakes
    1.2 checkered garter snakes (unnamed)

~RIP~
    2.2 Brazilian rainbow boa ('15 Picasso stripe BRBs "Guin" and "Morzan, and '15 hypo "Homura", '14 normal "Sanji")
    1.0 garter snake ('13 albino checkered "Draco")
    1.0 eastern garter ('13 "Demigod)
    0.0.1 ball python ('06 "Bud")