Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,234

2 members and 3,232 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,825 Times in 11,844 Posts
    Your room is the envy of snakes everywhere... Well done!

And btw, what I really do when I take my snakes out varies (depending on the snake & the weather): I like to stroll in my back
    yard with them for some natural sun (yard is about 2/3 shade) but I don't put them on the ground (too "buggy" here). I used to
    have a "snake-safe" room & let them roam for exercise & a good game of hide & seek, but I no longer have that room & space.
    I've noticed that many snakes get very mellow when I sit in a hammock or my rocker-recliner chair with them...even to the point
    where they doze off. (admittedly does nothing for their "exercise" lol) And I let them explore my bed or couch with supervision,
    or play in their "tree" (on a sturdy vertical stand).

I was kidding about playing chess: they cheat & clear the board with their tails...
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 04-30-2019 at 06:04 PM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (05-01-2019),richardhind1972 (05-01-2019),Valyndris (04-30-2019)

Thanks

Re: Stuff you do when you take them out?

Quote Originally Posted by Jellybeans View Post
    Very nice!
    I guess there are no holes in the floor / walls or anything for him to escape ?
    Great job.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
    Nope, no holes in the floor or walls other than the vent where the heat comes in but he can't get in there and would never possibly figure out how to lift the vent off as it pretty much takes finger nails to get it off.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 460 Posts
    Both snakes but especially my ratsnake love to hang out in my bathrobe, including peeking out the sleeves and out the front part. It's perfect because it's tied at the waist so they stay inside and can't fall down out of it. I even got a lightweight one for warm weather!

I just made a snake tree out of a coat rack and some branches and leaves that they love.

Sometimes I let them out in the grass in the yard when the weather is nice, at dusk. And I was really impressed by my ratsnake's ability to climb straight up a tree trunk last week. I stand over them closely outside though! Wouldn't want to let them get away.

I always thought some snake version of a hamster ball would be neat!
    2 BP's, one ratsnake, 2 dogs, 3 cats, 2 small caged birds, 7 chickens, and a toddler in a pear tree

5. The Following User Says Thank You to FollowTheSun For This Useful Post:

Valyndris (04-30-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FollowTheSun View Post
    ...I always thought some snake version of a hamster ball would be neat!
    Actually, a well-secured pillowcase on the floor would probably work.... (with no other pets around, of course)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Valyndris (04-30-2019)

Thanks
    When the apartment in warm and humid in the summer I set up a "gym" for mine. I have a very small apartment, but the living room is open enough. I have a ton of rocks (most 25-30 lbs - they are stable and can't roll or shift) that I move away from the walls, I drape a dark towel over some of them, I have lots of Java wood stumps and terra cotta pots that I can switch out of his cage that I get out all at once for him, and give him two of his hides to go into. He also likes to burrow in dried white rice (I have a dig box full of it for my ferret). He's usually active for an hour or so before snuggling up in a hide.

In the winter or when the temps are less ideal he just hangs out on the couch under a blanket for a bit.

I don't get to take him outside because I don't want the neighbors making a big deal out of it. Management has nothing against snakes directly but there is a clause that if any pet is overly disturbing / poses a danger to neighbors or if they get a lot of complaints they can ask you to get rid of it or move out. My older neighbor calls the maintenance person in a panic every time a black snake gets into the laundry room or in the hallway - if I'm around I remove them back to the woods behind the apartment...but I don't need her causing a stink either.
    No cage is too large - nature is the best template - a snoot can't be booped too much

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Crowfingers For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-30-2019),Craiga 01453 (05-01-2019),Valyndris (04-30-2019)

Thanks

I love the idea of a snake tree!

I usually put my BP in my lap or let him explore my bed. I make a little "cave" out of a blanket for him since he gets nervous out in the open and constantly seeks out dark hiding places. Otherwise he'll crawl into my sleeve or pant leg himself and then stick his head out, which is super cute. He tends not to be super active out of his enclosure unless he's looking for a place to hide, so I can sit with him and surf YouTube with him.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Luvyna For This Useful Post:

Valyndris (05-01-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Actually, a well-secured pillowcase on the floor would probably work.... (with no other pets around, of course)

Ooooh! What about a secured duvet cover? Lots of room to crawl around!
    2 BP's, one ratsnake, 2 dogs, 3 cats, 2 small caged birds, 7 chickens, and a toddler in a pear tree

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FollowTheSun For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-30-2019),Valyndris (05-01-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Luvyna View Post
    I love the idea of a snake tree!

I usually put my BP in my lap or let him explore my bed. I make a little "cave" out of a blanket for him since he gets nervous out in the open and constantly seeks out dark hiding places. Otherwise he'll crawl into my sleeve or pant leg himself and then stick his head out, which is super cute. He tends not to be super active out of his enclosure unless he's looking for a place to hide, so I can sit with him and surf YouTube with him.
    Here's some pics of it!
    https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...=1#post2691921

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FollowTheSun For This Useful Post:

Luvyna (05-01-2019),Valyndris (05-01-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FollowTheSun View Post
    Ooooh! What about a secured duvet cover? Lots of room to crawl around!
    I LOVE it! And, I HAVE a few that I was going to donate, one flannel & one percale. (the percale one has a zipper too) Hmm, thanks!

When I suggested a pillow case, I pictured them slowly moving it when they push from the inside, sorta like a hamster ball, but I like the "duvet"
    idea even better! The only thing though, with all that activity, is I'll likely put a sheet of plastic underneath, just in case they get "inspired".

One word of caution: when a snake that is more visually oriented (like our rat snakes) have their view obscured (like in a bag of some kind),
    they sometimes get cranky when we go to retrieve them: it's just them being startled & afraid, they may need a moment to realize they do
    know us. (I noticed this with rattlesnakes years ago...they really resented being "bagged" presumably because they couldn't see what was
    happening. They're pretty smart snakes.)
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 04-30-2019 at 08:14 PM.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Luvyna (05-01-2019),Valyndris (05-01-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I LOVE it! And, I HAVE a few that I was going to donate, one flannel & one percale. (the percale one has a zipper too) Hmm, thanks!

When I suggested a pillow case, I pictured them slowly moving it when they push from the inside, sorta like a hamster ball, but I like the "duvet"
    idea even better! The only thing though, with all that activity, is I'll likely put a sheet of plastic underneath, just in case they get "inspired".

One word of caution: when a snake that is more visually oriented (like our rat snakes) have their view obscured (like in a bag of some kind),
    they sometimes get cranky when we go to retrieve them: it's just them being startled & afraid, they may need a moment to realize they do
    know us. (I noticed this with rattlesnakes years ago...they really resented being "bagged" presumably because they couldn't see what was
    happening. They're pretty smart snakes.)
    I agree! I think Noodle the ratsnake would hate it but I know the BP would love it!

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FollowTheSun For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-30-2019),Luvyna (05-01-2019),Valyndris (05-01-2019)

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast