Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,027

0 members and 3,027 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    After giving this a little more thought, it occurred to me that racks this size wouldn't be able to fit through any doorways since they will be over 3' wide. So, I think I have decided to just build individual melamine (possibly PVC) enclosures for the tubs and stack them. Then it also occurred to me what a huge pain in the ass it would still be to move them when it comes time to move into a bigger snake room, because they would all be wired together, etc. So, I guess what i'm going to do is wire them in a way that will allow me to "quick connect" the wiring for each enclosure in the back. This way I will be able to easily and cheaply build and add new enclosures as needed, too. This seems like the all around most feasible way to go... What do you guys think?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 575 Posts

Re: Where To Buy 4' x 2' or Larger Tubs For Large Rack Build?

Quote Originally Posted by Aedryan Methyus View Post
    After giving this a little more thought, it occurred to me that racks this size wouldn't be able to fit through any doorways since they will be over 3' wide. So, I think I have decided to just build individual melamine (possibly PVC) enclosures for the tubs and stack them. Then it also occurred to me what a huge pain in the ass it would still be to move them when it comes time to move into a bigger snake room, because they would all be wired together, etc. So, I guess what i'm going to do is wire them in a way that will allow me to "quick connect" the wiring for each enclosure in the back. This way I will be able to easily and cheaply build and add new enclosures as needed, too. This seems like the all around most feasible way to go... What do you guys think?
    I think I've seen a someone build a BP rack with individually wired heat tape, all plugged into a power strip, then a thermostat. The goal was to allow them to save power and just unplug not-in-use tubs, but it sounds a bit like what you're thinking of here.

I'd just make sure to use a high quality power strip & thoroughly test that the temps fall where you expect off a thermostat. Don't see much reason it wouldn't, but ones plugged in further down the strip have the highest chance of losing electricity from the further travel distance.

Set up that way, it should all you to remove each tub/wiring at will for moving or any other reason.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by pretends2bnormal; 05-16-2019 at 06:45 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to pretends2bnormal For This Useful Post:

Aedryan Methyus (05-16-2019)

Thanks

Re: Where To Buy 4' x 2' or Larger Tubs For Large Rack Build?

Quote Originally Posted by pretends2bnormal View Post
    I think I've seen a someone build a BP rack with individually wired heat tape, all plugged into a power strip, then a thermostat. The goal was to allow them to save power and just unplug not-in-use tubs, but it sounds a bit like what you're thinking of here.

I'd just make sure to use a high quality power strip & thoroughly test that the temps fall where you expect off a thermostat. Don't see much reason it wouldn't, but ones plugged in further down the strip have the highest chance of losing electricity from the further travel distance.

Set up that way, it should all you to remove each tub/wiring at will for moving or any other reason.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I've been wishing I would have wired all of my other racks that way, so unoccupied levels could be disconnected. I could go back and modify them, but it would be a huge pain at this point. My temperatures have always remained pretty consistent from level to level wiring heat tape together. So, I don't expect that will be too much of an issue...

Thanks
    Just a quick update... All but one of these guys are out of the eggs and resting comfortably in their baby tubs... I'm still just waiting for the one stubborn oddball BEL to emerge...

Quick question... Do any of you guys ever have any luck getting hatchling Ball Pythons to eat frozen/thawed right after their first shed or will they always only eat live? That's the part i've been dreading...

Thanks
    Hey guys (and girls)!
    I just wanted to give you guys an update on these 45 gallon tubs. I ended up ordering 6 of them from Home Depot and as it turns out, they are NOT suitable for snake racks at all! The tops of the tubs are not straight across, because the corners of the tubs are taller than the sides. So, there ends up being a 5/8" gap between the top of the rack and the tub. Not only would this allow all of the heat and humidity to escape, but the snakes would literally be able to stick their heads outside of the enclosure and they would be trying to squeeze out. Not good! Unfortunately, my stupid a$$ hadn't realized any of this until after I had already drawn up my plans and had the melamine cut out at Lowes and prepared to start assembling when I got home! Sooo... I went back to the drawing board and decided to just give in and build actual display type enclosures, which will be much nice, anyway. Just a much bigger pain to clean...

Just to refresh your memories, these are the tubs that i'm speaking of:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Argee-45...G177/301437434

~ Aedryan

PS No clue why I had posted an update about my hatchlings in my last comment on this thread. Sorry for any confusion that may have caused...

Thanks
    Vision makes a "boa tub" that is 40" x 30" x 9.5" in size.

They also make a tub that is 68" x 35" x 14" too.

The prices may not be to your liking though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12