Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,818

2 members and 2,816 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Question Where To Buy 4' x 2' or Larger Tubs For Large Rack Build?

My Bloods and Short Tails are rapidly out-growing their current 40qt. tub racks and the time has come to either start building a bunch of individual 4' x 2' PVC enclosures, which will cost a fortune or build a large rack if I can find 4' x 2' clear plastic tubs. I would much prefer to build another rack with 4' x 2' tubs. Aside from the cost, it would be MUCH easier to keep cleaning their tubs instead of enclosures, because of how often (and how much) they urinate! Does anyone have any idea where I can find clear plastic tubs that size (or larger)? If they are tall, I could easily just cut the down to size, so that wouldn't be a big deal...

Thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Re: Where To Buy 4' x 2' or Larger Tubs For Large Rack Build?

Christmas tree storage tubs. Not the best time of year to hunt them down, however...
    https://www.irisusainc.com/tree-stor...rtment-lid-red

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    Christmas tree storage tubs. Not the best time of year to hunt them down, however...
    https://www.irisusainc.com/tree-stor...rtment-lid-red

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks man. I've seen these at Walmart before around Christmas time. Unfortunately, they aren't nearly wide enough for there to be suitable floor space for larger snakes... I can't believe that no one in the reptile community has thought to produce large plastic tubs that are specifically made for large snake racks. It's starting to look like i'm going to have to start putting an enormous amount of time, work and money into building individual PVC enclosures that are going to be a huge pain to clean...

Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts
    You'd have to cut a window in it since it's opaque black, but it's the right size:
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Argee-45...G177/301437434

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (05-02-2019)

Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Where To Buy 4' x 2' or Larger Tubs For Large Rack Build?

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    You'd have to cut a window in it since it's opaque black, but it's the right size:
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Argee-45...G177/301437434
    Oh, wow! This must be the Daddy to the ones I built my rat racks around. I didn't know they made them this large. The specifications say they are 50" x 34" x 12", which I think might be just about perfect for housing and breeding adult Bloods. How about you guys? It would be nothing, but a thing to cut out some nice windows down the long sides for plexiglass and they would look badass... Hmmm... Who would like to place their orders?

Thanks for the great find, BCR!

PS Find me some of these that are 6' x 3' x 18" and I will love you forever, man! lol

Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 501 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aedryan Methyus View Post
    Oh, wow! This must be the Daddy to the ones I built my rat racks around. I didn't know they made them this large. The specifications say they are 50" x 34" x 12", which I think might be just about perfect for housing and breeding adult Bloods. How about you guys? It would be nothing, but a thing to cut out some nice windows down the long sides for plexiglass and they would look badass... Hmmm... Who would like to place their orders?

Thanks for the great find, BCR!

PS Find me some of these that are 6' x 3' x 18" and I will love you forever, man! lol
    Not quite 6x3x18 but pretty close at 5x3x12... https://www.agrisupply.com/contracto...g-tub/p/86856/
    BALL PYTHONS: 1.0 Pied/Clark, 1.0 Pastel Vanilla Super Stripe/Sunny, 0.1 Dragon Fly/Buffy, 0.1 Pastel Vanilla Yellow Belly/Cher, 0.1 BEL (Mojave Lesser)/Arya, 0.0.1 Normal/Norm, 0.1 Cinnamon Enchi/Peaches, 1.0 Cinnamon Calico/Yoshi, 0.1 Pewter Het Dreamsicle/Ariel
    BOAS: 0.1 Dumeril's/Memphis, 0.1 BCL/Artemis, 1.0 BCO/Grimm, 0.1 Suriname BCC/Rhubarb
    CORN SNAKES: 0.0.1/Mushu
    MORELIA: 0.1 Bredli/Zelda, 0.1 Granite IJ/Bridget, 0.1 Caramel Diamond Jungle/Pixie

8. The Following User Says Thank You to WhompingWillow For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (05-03-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WhompingWillow View Post
    Not quite 6x3x18 but pretty close at 5x3x12... https://www.agrisupply.com/contracto...g-tub/p/86856/
    Wow... It's a shame these cost so much more than the Home Depot ones. These ones would be even better... I would love to find some of these that are 6' long about 18" high for my SD Retics. I don't think 12" of height is really enough for retics. Do you guys?

Thanks

Wow... It's a shame these cost so much more than the Home Depot ones. These ones would be even better... I would love to find some of these that are 6' long about 18" high for my SD Retics. I don't think 12" of height is really enough for retics. Do you guys?
    If you're not using overhead heat and you get your retics out every day for some exercise (unless they're in shed or digesting) it's likely fine for smaller ones. Adult mainlands I'd put in an 8'x30"x18" enclosure at minimum.

These things get expensive due to shipping costs. The same size tub I posted from Home Depot is also available on Amazon from a different manufacturer, with "free shipping", but it's about $200. If I got it at Home Depot I could have it shipped to my local store at no charge for pick-up for just over $40 with sales tax.

What materials were you thinking of to build the rack? And were you going to go 4 or 5 levels high?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    If you're not using overhead heat and you get your retics out every day for some exercise (unless they're in shed or digesting) it's likely fine for smaller ones. Adult mainlands I'd put in an 8'x30"x18" enclosure at minimum.

These things get expensive due to shipping costs. The same size tub I posted from Home Depot is also available on Amazon from a different manufacturer, with "free shipping", but it's about $200. If I got it at Home Depot I could have it shipped to my local store at no charge for pick-up for just over $40 with sales tax.

What materials were you thinking of to build the rack? And were you going to go 4 or 5 levels high?
    I haven't planned all that far into it yet, but I currently have 7 Bloods and Short Tails, all of which will need re-housed before I know it. So, I will most likely make a 7 tub rack. Then a few years down the road I will have to build another one for any future holdbacks I may have. I will most likely use melamine. I'll definitely keep you guys posted!

Thanks

I haven't planned all that far into it yet, but I currently have 7 Bloods and Short Tails, all of which will need re-housed before I know it. So, I will most likely make a 7 tub rack. Then a few years down the road I will have to build another one for any future holdbacks I may have. I will most likely use melamine. I'll definitely keep you guys posted!
    Considering how tall the tubs are I would consider two four-level racks. You can keep one tub empty to stash a snake in if its tub needs a serious clean-out, or for a future holdback. Then you can put racks with smaller tubs on top, or use the space for storage.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Aedryan Methyus (05-16-2019)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast