Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,572

1 members and 1,571 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Lightweight, attractive enclosure for 1 snake?

Hi there,

I'm new to the forum. I have adopted a female (I guess? That's what I was told) BP who is maybe 2-3 years old? She is almost 4 feet long. She's in a 40 gallon glass tank right now. Aside from being ugly, the tank is so heavy that it's been challenging for me to clean and take care of. I have seen beautiful enclosures built into cabinets, but after reading through the DIY forums here, I feel overwhelmed by the prospect of making something myself. I would really like a lightweight, attractive enclosure set up for her. I don't want any other animals, so I don't need something that stacks or anything. What I am finding looks like it's meant for people with lots and lots and lots of reptiles!

The adoption was sort of thrust upon me. I'd like the snake to be happy and healthy. Do you have any suggestions for me? I'm feeling quite lost...

Thank you in advance for any ideas!

Thanks

Re: Lightweight, attractive enclosure for 1 snake?

You need to post pictures of your snake for sure
    I certainly don't know anything about building enclosures but most important thing is that it is 200% escape-proof !

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jellybeans For This Useful Post:

FollowTheSun (06-17-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,822 Times in 11,841 Posts
    "Lightweight" cages are typically gonna be plastic storage bins that so many are using now...they're cheap & easy to come by, but IMO they are ugly.

I happen to prefer glass tanks for attractiveness...you can put scenery on the back & sides too (outside the glass), & honestly I don't understand your complaint
    about how heavy it is??? Once in place, mine are never picked up & moved, certainly not for cleaning, so I'm guessing you've been trying to "dump it" to clean?
    I agree, that's not a winner. I just clean out the substrate & wipe down the glass with disinfectant (diluted chlorhexidine) & then put in fresh substrate & every-
    thing back where it belongs. My snakes are in plastic ventilated carrying cases while I do this. Depending on what substrate you're using, you just need a better
    way of removing it, sounds like to me.

We can help better with more details...and

BPnet Senior Member GoingPostal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 723 Posts
    There's a variety of nice PVC style front opening cages from many companies, you can design the inside however you like, they tend to have recessed heating/lighting and are very lightweight. Animal Plastics, Vision cages etc.

2.0 Python brongersmai
    1.1 Python breitensteini
    1.0 Python curtus
    1.0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Acrantophis dumerili
    1.0 Boa constrictor
    0.1 Heterodon nasiscus nasiscus
    0.0.1 Pantherophis guttatus

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GoingPostal For This Useful Post:

gunkle (04-28-2019),jmcrook (04-28-2019)

Thanks
    Personally I enjoy the build of DIY projects but there are a lot of great looking PVC cages out there. PVC are a bit more expensive then homemade or a setup tank but can be very clean and finished looking. If DIY isn't your thing then give the PVC ones a good look. Some have rather long wait times though so be prepared. Also I second what Bogertophis said once a tank is put in place don't move it, even the PVC and wooden ones are too much to move once in place but the front opening doors do help a bit in the cleaning IMO.
    1.0 Bearded Dragon
    0.1 Super Pastel Lesser Ball Python
    1.0 Pastel Bamboo Ball Python
    0.0.1 Halmahera Blue Tongue Skink
    0.0.2 Crested Gecko
    1.2.Guinea Pigs
    1.0 Leopard Gecko
    0.1 Toad
    0.1 Iguana
    0.1 Dog
    0.2 Cats

Thanks
    I'm definitely not able to dump the substrate, but I do need to use a step stool to clean it, sadly, as I am short! I think what I don't like about the tank is that the heat lamp and wires and stuff are all on top of it and all over. It had a screen top that I covered with tin foil. SOOOOO ugly!!

I really like the idea of having heat and light all contained inside it -- I feel like it'd be easier to incorporate it into my house. And I like the idea of a door that opens out so I don't have to clean it with a step stool.

I like the look of these: http://www.showcasecages.com/cage_details.htm though they're sort of expensive. However, this snake may outlive me!! I think it's worth it to invest in a terrarium that I won't mind looking at the rest of my life...

I looked at Vision Cages and Animal Plastic. They seem expensive too, and not as attractive. Guess I'm one of the few reptile keepers who don't want a black stack of boxes...

Maybe there is a reptile specific hood that would go on my 40 gallon to hide all this ugly crap?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to melissa For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-28-2019)

Thanks
    Check out my build thread in the DIY section. Its a very easy build. Where are you from? maybe you could find a handyman or friend to give you a hand building something. I have a coworker that is thinking of building one and may be leaning on me a bit for help.
    1.0 Bearded Dragon
    0.1 Super Pastel Lesser Ball Python
    1.0 Pastel Bamboo Ball Python
    0.0.1 Halmahera Blue Tongue Skink
    0.0.2 Crested Gecko
    1.2.Guinea Pigs
    1.0 Leopard Gecko
    0.1 Toad
    0.1 Iguana
    0.1 Dog
    0.2 Cats

11. The Following User Says Thank You to gunkle For This Useful Post:

melissa (04-28-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 575 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by melissa View Post
    I'm definitely not able to dump the substrate, but I do need to use a step stool to clean it, sadly, as I am short! I think what I don't like about the tank is that the heat lamp and wires and stuff are all on top of it and all over. It had a screen top that I covered with tin foil. SOOOOO ugly!!

I really like the idea of having heat and light all contained inside it -- I feel like it'd be easier to incorporate it into my house. And I like the idea of a door that opens out so I don't have to clean it with a step stool.

I like the look of these: http://www.showcasecages.com/cage_details.htm though they're sort of expensive. However, this snake may outlive me!! I think it's worth it to invest in a terrarium that I won't mind looking at the rest of my life...

I looked at Vision Cages and Animal Plastic. They seem expensive too, and not as attractive. Guess I'm one of the few reptile keepers who don't want a black stack of boxes...

Maybe there is a reptile specific hood that would go on my 40 gallon to hide all this ugly crap?
    Just a thought, but you could get a front-opening exo terra (if you're used to and fine with the mods needed on glass tanks), and then just make a small wooden frame that can sit on top/on legs surrounding the cage and be painted or stained. It could be just a U shape on legs that sits on the table with the enclosure (to keep weight off the top). You can paint or stain it to go with your decor and if done would block visibility to heat lamps and wiring to remove the eyesore and give you easier access for cleaning. (Just make sure not to fully enclose them over the top which could be a fire hazard with the lack of air flow.)

Since you don't like the look of most of the PVC caging, then that might be more your preference.

Although I think you underestimate how nice a single PVC cage can be set up. Having a flat top gives you space you could place photo frames or small plant pots (nothing too heavy for PVC to avoid warping under the weight but under 15-20 lbs would be safe), or other small decorative items with the cage on a nice stand.

A 4x2x2 or 4x2x18" could look very nice like that similar to how people use aquariums as focal points for rooms. If the interior of the cage is nice and attractive, you can easily distract from the more simplistic exterior that way. The shape of the enclosure itself is not the most important when it comes to how it comes across in a room. And just because it can stack doesn't mean you need to stack it or get multiple cages/animals.

PVC is a very good enclosure because it eliminates the need to for misting or major lid modifications to maintain humidity or keep the heat in. It may make it way simply to care for your snake and leave more time for enjoying it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pretends2bnormal For This Useful Post:

gunkle (04-28-2019),melissa (04-28-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pretends2bnormal View Post
    Although I think you underestimate how nice a single PVC cage can be set up. Having a flat top gives you space you could place photo frames or small plant pots (nothing too heavy for PVC to avoid warping under the weight but under 15-20 lbs would be safe), or other small decorative items with the cage on a nice stand.
    Oh I didn't realize that anything could even go on top! For some reason I imagined they are not very sturdy!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gunkle View Post
    Check out my build thread in the DIY section. Its a very easy build. Where are you from? maybe you could find a handyman or friend to give you a hand building something. I have a coworker that is thinking of building one and may be leaning on me a bit for help.
    I did see your thread in DIY before I posted here! Actually it was what made me realize how out of my depth I'd be attempting to build something on my own!

Though I do admire your skills!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast