Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,635

2 members and 2,633 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Missing MBK

Thanks

Re: Missing MBK

Still nothing and this room is pretty much sifted through. I left water out a hide and a meal but no sign of him I do think that this is something that happened days ago and I just noticed late. The heating vents in my room he couldn’t get through but unfortunately the vent across the hall not far at all was taken apart and literally wide open due to remodeling projects, as well as the one downstairs one. Just noticed those this morning so my efforts have slowed down due to kinda feeling it’s just a matter of luck at this point. This whole room smells like mice though so hopefully it will attract him back from wherever he is and i plan to leave meals and hides available daily for the next two weeks just Incase. I will leave out little bowls of water across the house for longer. He’s just so so tiny. Doors to the outside are left open for longer periods of time and that’s out of my control since electricians and all sorts of workers are in and out of here. There’s a million and a half open boxes with things piled in them it would take me weeks to cover everything and he’s probably going to be on the move as I did that. Cried over him but it’s my fault and this could have been much worse with one of my even more loved babies and so I’m gunna let this be a big lesson and make some changes to my keeping. Maybe I’ll be one of those super lucky people with a (happy) update in a few weeks or months. Thanks for all your help though to everyone
    Last edited by timeakinga; 04-28-2019 at 06:22 PM.
    Mommy of 14
    Catch the fam on insta: @noooodlefam

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by the_rotten1 View Post
    One of my MBKs got out once and was gone for about a month. Found her slithering around on the floor in the same room. I thought the cords to some of my electronics came to life, because she was right next to them and blended right in until I startled her.

So it's possible to find them even if they're gone for quite awhile. Eventually he will get hungry and come out to hunt for food.
    I really hope this is what happens to me. I’m not gunna fill his (revised) enclosure with a new MBK until I’ve given him a month - month and half of a chance to appear. Maybe more. I just know staring at his open enclosure now every single day is gunna make me miss him more but I want it to be open to him if for whatever reason he puts himself away (lmao I realize the odds of this happening are like negative) but of course if he appears even once I’ve filled his spot I’m still going to be elated to see him. It’s crazy how snakes can get out of things... mind boggling how tight of a squeeze they can go through.
    Mommy of 14

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to timeakinga For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-29-2019),the_rotten1 (04-28-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 575 Posts

I had an escapee king last winter. An 11 gram Texas Graybanded kingsnake who managed to squeeze out of an enclosure that held a corn snake half his size before him (still completely confused how he got out. It was fully and properly closed and everything).

He went missing in early January and no matter how hard we looked we never unearthed him. We gave up on searching being how we found him by end of March. We then found a shed and him in mid-May while doing some random cleaning in another room, he had lost 1 gram of body weight and looked otherwise in great shape for 4 and a half months of no food/water from us.

Even if you fill his enclosure in a while, I'd suggest keeping handy a spare secure tub at the least in case he turns up later like mine did so you have somewhere to secure him.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pretends2bnormal For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-29-2019),Sonny1318 (05-01-2019),timeakinga (04-28-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,986 Times in 1,247 Posts
    Really sorry to hear this. My MBK got loose and I found her under an entertainment center about 5 feet from her enclosure. Fortunately I saw her a few minutes after I started looking. Once I saw her it took about ten minutes finally get her. I hope you find your snake!!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to cletus For This Useful Post:

timeakinga (04-29-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by timeakinga View Post
    ...Maybe I’ll be one of those super lucky people with a (happy) update in a few weeks or months. Thanks for all your help though to everyone
    Don't give up! It's can take minutes, hours, days or months to round up an escaped snake...just stay optimistic & ready, because the minute you write them off,
    that's when they show up. I assume you've alerted the workmen to keep an eye out for him? You don't want them to panic & kill him, not knowing he's a pet.

In my experience, snakes are often drawn to fresh outside air, so it's possible they will see him. Many years ago I got a young Everglades rat snake from a pet
    store (in trade), he had been sold by them many months prior but had escaped his owners & was finally found outside, at which point they didn't feel they were up to keeping a snake at all, & returned him to the store. Great little snake, no trouble for me.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 04-29-2019 at 12:36 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

timeakinga (04-29-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cletus View Post
    Really sorry to hear this. My MBK got loose and I found her under an entertainment center about 5 feet from her enclosure. Fortunately I saw her a few minutes after I started looking. Once I saw her it took about ten minutes finally get her. I hope you find your snake!!
    Thank you I really hope so too!
    Mommy of 14

11. The Following User Says Thank You to timeakinga For This Useful Post:

cletus (04-29-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Don't give up! It's can take minutes, hours, days or months to round up an escaped snake...just stay optimistic & ready, because the minute you write them off,
    that's when they show up. I assume you've alerted the workmen to keep an eye out for him? You don't want them to panic & kill him, not knowing he's a pet.

In my experience, snakes are often drawn to fresh outside air, so it's possible they will see him. Many years ago I got a young Everglades rat snake from a pet
    store (in trade), he had been sold by them many months prior but had escaped his owners & was finally found outside, at which point they didn't feel they were up to keeping a snake at all, & returned him to the store. Great little snake, no trouble for me.
    Thank you for the positivity I feel like he must have done a visit to the water bowl that I have had out because a surprising amount had disappeared- more than I would think by evaporation. Yea I would hate for that to happen. By the possible sign of water being drank I still hope he’s in here and that he remains in here. Don’t know tho I guess time will tell! Hahhha I’m glad he’s not giving you a hard time, he probably knows he’s got it good with you! And I’m sure you got him secured well!
    Mommy of 14

13. The Following User Says Thank You to timeakinga For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-29-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    Oh yeah...after playing "hide & seek" a few times with snakes, you get REALLY careful. It's so stressful & exhausting, & talk about guilt trips...

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

timeakinga (05-01-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Oh yeah...after playing "hide & seek" a few times with snakes, you get REALLY careful. It's so stressful & exhausting, & talk about guilt trips...
    I can completely agree with that I’ve already become much more careful myself after this round. I can’t imagine doing this again! Exactly for the reasons you say. Since then I’ve tried 3am flashlight exploring in hopes of catching him active. Here’s a little example of my lures, please feel free to tell me if it should be better somehow, the hide is heated. There is stuff in the hide too that I know he usually likes to hide under. Should I have these hides move around or have them in set places without switching it up?
    Mommy of 14

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to timeakinga For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-02-2019),Sonny1318 (05-01-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by timeakinga View Post
    I can completely agree with that I’ve already become much more careful myself after this round. I can’t imagine doing this again! Exactly for the reasons you say. Since then I’ve tried 3am flashlight exploring in hopes of catching him active. Here’s a little example of my lures, please feel free to tell me if it should be better somehow, the hide is heated. There is stuff in the hide too that I know he usually likes to hide under. Should I have these hides move around or have them in set places without switching it up?
    i was a panicked mess so i constantly moved my "traps" which likely didn't help.

keep them where they are and stay diligent.

in my thread i posted above, i iterated that i was willingly to waste every f/t feeder i had keeping the "traps" up until my corn was found.

also try going around wafting the feeder into all corners of the room(s). get that smell around so they have a reason to come out and search for the traps.
    Last edited by tttaylorrr; 05-02-2019 at 11:40 PM.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

19. The Following User Says Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-02-2019)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast