Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,017

2 members and 3,015 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Had to pass on a free gecko

So now one of my wife's other coworkers is getting rid of a young Leopard Gecko. They bought it at the chain store maybe 2 months ago. They offered it to us free but I feel we have our hands full enough at this time with all our new acquisitions. Supposedly it is eating and is healthy, they have 2 bearded dragons and raise roaches to feed. We told them to let us know if they don't find anyone. Again its missing some things like a thermostat and I am already tied up with getting the skink situated and healthy. It wasn't easy to say no but I don't want taking care of everyone to become a chore. Maybe after everyone is settled and we are all in a nice routine but in the last month we went from 1 bearded dragon to 6 total snakes/reptiles along with the 6 furry animals we already had. If this happened before the skink I probably would have taken it. Anyone else struggle to say no in these situations?
    1.0 Bearded Dragon
    0.1 Super Pastel Lesser Ball Python
    1.0 Pastel Bamboo Ball Python
    0.0.1 Halmahera Blue Tongue Skink
    0.0.2 Crested Gecko
    1.2.Guinea Pigs
    1.0 Leopard Gecko
    0.1 Toad
    0.1 Iguana
    0.1 Dog
    0.2 Cats

Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 575 Posts

Re: Had to pass on a free gecko

I think that is probably for the best for your situation to say no. Your skink is definitely in need of the attention you're giving it and a new species may he hard to balance in, especially if it is in worse shape than they say (no thermostat to me is a red flag it likely isn't as healthy as "advertised"). It is no fun to get overwhelmed by taking on too much at once.

Maybe in a month or two when things settle in more it would be different and you can revisit if they don't find anyone, but sounds like you're aware of your limitations right now.

I would definitely struggle to say no to a rescue/rehome, but it hardly ever happens to me. Only my 2 rescue BPs so far and both were from the same person/same time. (And some fish, but that's a lot less commitment when you already have a tank they can be added to)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

3. The Following User Says Thank You to pretends2bnormal For This Useful Post:

gunkle (04-27-2019)