Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,057

2 members and 3,055 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Newest addition

Thanks

Re: Newest addition

He may have even taught the class on how to get bought. Whereas the "regular" next to him... Laying there in a "ball", ya know. like what most of the Balls do.
    He has his home. It's in a back room that can be kept quiet so he can have his quiet alone time. Even when he's just hanging out having a rest, when I look in on him he'll usually poke his head out from under the hide he's in, flick his tongue a few times.
    I have seen him yawn twice. It was rather cute really. Never seen that in a serpent before. I found it amusing.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Weiand View Post
    He may have even taught the class on how to get bought. Whereas the "regular" next to him... Laying there in a "ball", ya know. like what most of the Balls do.
    He has his home. It's in a back room that can be kept quiet so he can have his quiet alone time. Even when he's just hanging out having a rest, when I look in on him he'll usually poke his head out from under the hide he's in, flick his tongue a few times.
    I have seen him yawn twice. It was rather cute really. Never seen that in a serpent before. I found it amusing.
    You're hooked...welcome to the "addiction".

Yeah, I love it when snakes yawn...they look like they need dentures, actually, & to think that most people are so terrified of being "bit" (but most other pets can do
    WAY more damage than tiny snake teeth...)

Thanks

It had been quite a few years since I had any reptiles or other "critters", so it was just time to do so again. Him being the newest edition to the already 2 Leopard Gecko's and the 5 fish tanks mainly Betta's Red Tails and Silvers. Just wouldn't have been complete without a serpent. Prior I had Red Tail Boa's. In looking at size and size of home needed and space available, A ball seemed a much better choice. Being able to give him a home the size he needed and would fit where I had the room for. The feeding frozen is a very new thing to me. Asked a lot of questions from other owners, cross-checked answers against each other, etc. etc. I thought I was in for a huge hassle for feeding... If he eats everytime like he did Thurs I may just show him where the kitchen is. :p

Ah yes, the bites. Then again, many people are just freaked out by snakes in general. "I" see it as, any "animal" can smell, taste, sense your thoughts and emotions. Show it fear, it will show you who the alpha is. Show it the respect it deserves, calm slow movements, pay attention to it's reaction to different things...
    He seems to like to crawl on my face and flick his tongue across the bridge of my nose and my eyelids.
    I've as well noticed he'll lay on my arm and relax his muscles, not even bother to "hold on" just lay there supported by my arm. Then move a bit only grabbing to hold on if I don't move a hand to support more of his body. Granted, at only 20 inches, pretty easy to have pretty much all of him on my arm. Or he'll just wrap around my wrist as if he were a bracelet, turn his head upside down, look around a bit, taste the air they lay his head back down.
    yea... we'll be hanging out for many years to come.
    Last edited by Weiand; 04-27-2019 at 01:16 AM.

Thanks
    I so hope your feeding "luck" holds, but there's some great tips floating around this site, in case you need ever them.

I've had a large BCI for many years in the past...she was an unwanted yearling (she bit everyone, lots!) but I turned her into sweet & cuddly in no time-
    I just never planned to have that big of a snake, & for many years I thought she might stay smaller...I hoped anyway (some do). When she was 13, she
    moved in with some friends of mine that are into big snakes (she was 7.5' & still growing)...so yeah, I know what you mean about size. She was cuddly but
    it was a "rodeo" when she didn't want to go back in her cage. I'm primarily a rat snake keeper these days, but I've had many many kinds over the years.
    I do prefer the more practical sized serpents. (& yes, I've had BPs in the past)

Thanks

I see it as there is what I want, would like to have and then what have the actual room for. Not much point to get what I don't have the room for or the, well, I'll change blah blah when gets bigger...
    If I don't have the room now, I won't have the room later. I was going to just get a "regular" going by the price range 'till I saw this guy. Being smaller but with the markings & colour and his ways.. How could I not?
    I'm sure I'll get a bite from him a few times in the next 30-ish years. Only takes forgetting to wash hands after handling his food...
    One of my Leo's has bit me a few times, apparently he was feeling rather froggy. Funny feeling bite there as well. Sand paper like teeth, feel the force of the hit more than anything.

Since he ate 2 hoppers this time. The package I got had 3 in it. I'd like to move to a bigger "food" but not "waste" that one.

Thanks
    Large snakes: it's not about having room for them, but handling them solo, & I'm a gal, & not that big. There are limits for safety & ease of handling. When
    I took in that BCI, she had nowhere else to go, having been re-homed multiple times & getting ever more freaked out & defensive. She didn't scare me though-
    I knew what she needed, & I never got even one bite in the 12 years I had her. (not that she didn't want to bite me at first though, lol- I'm just no fool)

Food sizes don't have to match...just don't want to feed a rodent that's bigger than a snake's unfed mid-body. So feed the extra hopper with next meal.

Thanks

The one Red Tail was just over 6 ft and she was getting pretty strong. When she felt like pushing her weight around, she could.
    I'm just hoping that I don't get all, well, I could put another "home" over there for a "small" snake... cuz, well ya know how it goes.

Thanks

I wonder if hes not super pastel calico perhaps some other genes...

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Thanks

When looking that up, I do see similarities.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,244 Times in 667 Posts
    Mojavie pastel or something like that ?
    1.0 - Cinnamon Banana Ball Python (Thunder)
    1.0 - Yellow Belly High White Pied Ball Python (Pretty Fly For A White Guy)
    0.1 - Cinnamon GHI Ball Python (Leslie Snipes)
    1.0 - Dumerils Boa (Sushi)
    0.1 - Caye Caulker Boa (Lady Liberty)
    0.0.? - Mandarin Rat Snake (Bumble)
    1.0 - Mexican Black King (Rico Suave)
    1.0 - Black Tail Cribo (Goldar)
    0.1 - Jaguar Carpet Python (Cookie)
    1.0 - Vietnamese Blue Beauty (Elsa)
    1.0 - Green Tree Python (Banner)
    0.2 - Yellow/Quince Monitors (Blanche & Dorothy)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast