Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,827

1 members and 2,826 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Newest addition

Thanks

Newest addition

I am still attempting to identify the morph.
    Got him 4-20-19 Male 4 - 6 months old approx. About 20 inches long since he didn't want to fully cooperate for a measure.
    The shop had him marked as "Albino Rare" I know he isn't an albino.
    Searching through different pictures I'm not finding what I'm looking for to identify him.

These are the pictures I have of him so far.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Weiand For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-26-2019),Dianne (04-28-2019),PghBall (05-01-2019),Phillydubs (04-27-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,817 Times in 11,840 Posts
    I agree, not an "albino" but I'll leave the morphs for others to sort out -it's not my "area" lol...just want to say & "pretty ball python"!

Have you looked on Morph Market for similar BPs? Of course, that could take a long time... Don't worry, others here will have good guesses.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 04-26-2019 at 11:32 PM.

Thanks

Re: Newest addition

The moment I saw him I knew he would have to come home with me. He is SO curious too. Now we have the next 30 years or so to hang out.

I've been looking at a page that has MANY pictures and names. It seems like an endless search by not really knowing all the different names.
    I did find one that looks quite similar, but instead of just guessing came to where the "know" is.
    Last edited by Weiand; 04-26-2019 at 11:35 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Weiand View Post
    The moment I saw him I knew he would have to come home with me. He is SO curious too. Now we have the next 30 years or so to hang out.
    I know what you mean...pet shops rely on our "weakness" of course. Oh well...he's not your first snake, I take it? You know about checking for mites?

It's a little quiet tonight (being Friday night), but later or tomorrow I'm sure you'll have plenty of identification help. His markings are interesting & he
    sure has a long neck stripe.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 04-26-2019 at 11:42 PM.

Thanks

I've not had a serpant in close to 16 years, which was more of a "shared" one then. I haven't checked for mites but I don't notice any of the usual signs. Bumps under the scales, around the eyes, soaking all the time, specs in the water. I was thinking about taking him in for a wellness check just so he has a proper start and will be around for so many years.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Weiand For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-27-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Weiand View Post
    I've not had a serpant in close to 16 years, which was more of a "shared" one then. I haven't checked for mites but I don't notice any of the usual signs. Bumps under the scales, around the eyes, soaking all the time, specs in the water. I was thinking about taking him in for a wellness check just so he has a proper start and will be around for so many years.
    It's best to use white paper towels as a substrate at first & for a little while- it's easier to see issues like mites or unusual feces (bloody/mucoid)- not to be paranoid, but
    better not to be totally "trusting" either. You're correct, mites often show up in the water, many snakes soak to get relief. They're far more than a minor annoyance though-
    they can overwhelm & kill snakes when their population explodes exponentially; they're so tiny, each one taking so little blood, but they really are dangerous, & can also
    spread diseases, so my fingers are crossed that you won't have to deal with them. (try wiping over his body with a damp white paper towel & see if you find any)

If you'd feel better getting him a wellness check, I understand. It won't mean much unless you have a vet that's experienced with snakes though, & the office visit adds
    to your snake's stress. I don't personally take new snakes in for a check up unless I see something like noisy (whistling/crackling) or mouth breathing that can be an RI,
    or unusual stool, wounds, that sort of stuff. Snakes are some of the most difficult patients, they're so stoic.

Speaking of stress, it's best to let a new snakes settle in (without handling) for a while: don't offer food for a week (hope you found out
    exactly what he's been eating? BPs can be fussy...need to know if he's used to getting rats or mice, live or f/t or fresh killed, & what size.
    Best results (since it doesn't take much to put a BP "off-feed") is not to handle until he's fed easily 2 or 3 times at normal intervals.
    (I know that sounds like "torture", lol...but you sound like you're committed to the long-haul, & this is what works best.)
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 04-27-2019 at 12:13 AM.

Thanks

His feeding day at the shop was thurs. I saw the chart he'd been eating, only skipped the week when he shed. He had a nice big mushy poop wed. No blood, nothing not "normal" for poop. I did forget how much snake poop smells compared to Leo poop. This guy is so laid back, yet curious all at the same time. Looking around, tasting the air, checking stuff out...
    Ate for me thurs no prob once I got his attention. He did miss on the first strike, but he's young. Got on the 2nd right on the head. Gave one wrap, held it a bit then got it down.
    They had been feeding him hoppers so I got 3 that day. They seem a bit small for him. After he ate the first one and got it moved down I offered him one more. He literally just crawled up to it, opened his mouth and took it that way. No strike, no wrap. It's like he knew it was dead and was just, hey, I can eat it now. I'm trying to find a way to see the diff dia in the package at the store. It seems like a rat pup would be a better size for him.
    When I've had him out his underbelly looks very good. I'll give him the rest of today to rest up from eating then take a better look at him for little "specs".

Thanks
    Sounds like you're off to a good start then. Snakes have different personalities...some are really freaked out in new places & refuse food for a while...I'm glad
    your guy is making himself "at home".

Thanks

He had that vibe at the shop. Another of the reasons I knew he had to go home with me. I love an personality.
    Now it's just to find out his morph and hope I didn't overpay too much for him. Not a bad price if break it down by the "year". Was a bit more than I really wanted to spend, he just had other plans.
    Even in the tini tank at the shop he was up at the glass all, "Hey! Check me out, See me?" Moved around, showed off his pattern, came back to the glass, tongue flicking like, "Well, what are you waiting for? Let's go home!"

Thanks
    I like snakes with "personality" too. And personally, I'm a push-over for rescues... As long as you're happy with him & he's healthy, that's the main thing.
    Sounds like he was "coached" on how to get bought?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast