Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,111

3 members and 3,108 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Question Switching to F/T tips?

So I’ve announced I’m getting a new little guy next week. He’s perfect, but one thing I’m concerned about is he’s been fed live rats since hatching. The breeder claims he’s also fed thawed pinky mice but that just seems weird since he’s already feeding live rats. I’m hoping to get him to take F/T right away, since I’m not comfortable feeding live at all. 1. I worry about injury. 2. I feel bad for the little rats
    Any tips to make this switch easy and quick?

Thanks

Re: Switching to F/T tips?

I've had much success using a hairdryer to fool the little noodle into thinking the rat is alive. Just hit the defrosted rat with the hairdryer, and I'll typically focus on the head of the rat for around 10 seconds right before offering

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa - Sir Hiss🎩🐍
    0.1 Pastel Ball Python - Exzahrah
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Nymeria
    0.1 Suriname Red Tail BCC- Sascha
    0.1 WT Ball Python- Ariana
    1.0 Bumblebee Ball Python- Fabio

WISHLIST:
    Dumerils Boa
    Candino BP
    Granite IJ Carpet Python
    White Lipped Python
    Komodo Dragon

"​Normal is just a setting on the washing machine..."

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Avsha531 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-26-2019),Sonny1318 (04-26-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowy View Post
    So I’ve announced I’m getting a new little guy next week. He’s perfect, but one thing I’m concerned about is he’s been fed live rats since hatching. The breeder claims he’s also fed thawed pinky mice but that just seems weird since he’s already feeding live rats. I’m hoping to get him to take F/T right away, since I’m not comfortable feeding live at all. 1. I worry about injury. 2. I feel bad for the little rats
    Never made the switch myself, but I have read that if you dangle it in front of him and shake it around a little bit (simulating a rat moving around) he should take it, as long as it is as warm as a live rat would be.

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk

Thanks

Yeah, the pinkie thing sounds weird because ball pythons should never be eating pinkies to start with
    He might take right to it, mine went from live to Frozen thawed immediately. That sure is a pretty snake

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jellybeans For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-26-2019)

Thanks

My 2 BPs were eating live rats at their respective breeders too. They switched to F/T immediately. I thaw overnight in the fridge, then warm up in a bowl with hot water from the tap until the rats are about 100 degrees (measuring with an infrared thermometer). I keep them in a plastic baggie so they don’t get wet. It usually takes about 30 minutes and I change the water out a couple times. When the rats are warm I put them on the screen tops right next to the CHE domes for about 5 minutes. I come back and check and snakes are out in their hunting position, then I just dangle it in front of them with tongs and they strike within 10 seconds. I think letting them smell it and get ready to hunt really works for mine. Also, of course feed at night and wait at least a week to try the first feeding. Congrats on the new baby!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1.0 Champagne Cinnamon Paradox
    0.1 Crystal Pinstripe

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowy View Post
    If you can't get him to take f/t by itself (even with hair-dryer/hot water methods), you might try having a small live "appetizer" (with eyes closed, rats or mice do NOT
    defend themselves ever) & then immediately after that he may go on to accept the f/t while he's still pumped up in "feeding mode". You need feeding tongs, if you don't
    already have them. (even kitchen or BBQ tongs will work, just make sure the tips are rounded for safety)

Pinky mice ARE too small for a BP...they just get stuck on their teeth... Best of luck, with any luck he just may take f/t, but if you need to offer a live "appetizer" first,
    just be sure it's small so the 2 items together aren't too big of a meal. After a few such blended meals, they learn to recognize the f/t as edible too &
    should accept f/t by itself.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 04-26-2019 at 05:42 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts

In my experience, the hairdryer trick only works if you get the rat really warm, all the way through.
    Also, stay out of the picture as mich as possible, so the snake doesn’t focus on you as a predator, so it can focus on its prey.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla78 View Post
    In my experience, the hairdryer trick only works if you get the rat really warm, all the way through.
    Also, stay out of the picture as mich as possible, so the snake doesn’t focus on you as a predator, so it can focus on its prey.
    It just has to be done properly tbh
    By all means thaw as usual but then I feed evenings only and wait until the snake is settled under a hide then , with dim / low lighting , oh and have the hairdryer plugged in next to the viv /rub ... viv glass opened ready , minimum ten second hot hairdryer blast then INSTANTLY dangle in front of the hide entrance.. if the snake is remotely interested even a tongue flick then they normally grab the mouse /rat . It sometimes takes a few attempts where you repeat the above procedure exactly ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Shadowy (04-26-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

My guy was easy to switch over.. I normally leave the rat to thaw on top of his enclosure.. after a few hours I heat it up using a hair dryer.. dangle the rat in front of the snake. You can make the mouse seem alive by making realist movements if need be. Grab the mouse by the scruff of the neck with tongs and mimic realistic movements a live mouse would do.. I heat it under the hair dryer for quite some time so it’s nice and warm and offer immediately. Feed when snake is active in the evening/night and try to stay off to the side so the little guy isn’t spooked out. Wait at least a week to offer.. if he’s established and has some weight on him, be patient and try each week. I have confidence he will take it you do all of the above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1.0 Orange Dream x Lemonback x Super Enchi -Damian

Wishlist
    0.1 Corn Island Boa

Thanks

Here's the truth.. I hate to say it but if you aren't willing/able to feed the snake a live rat then you probably shouldn't have it. I'm NOT trying to be a snob but you have to remember, it's whats best for the animal not for you. I have snakes that feed FT and others won't touch it no matter what I try (trust me it would be easier if they did..)

The excuse of "its going to hurt the snake" is irrelevant in MY opinion. I have fed multiple, multiple live feedings and if the snake is healthy and not in shed and blind I have NEVER had a problem. When the rubber meets the road if the new guy won't eat frozen thawed don't make him suffer because you don't want to see a rat hurt. It's not fair to the snake..

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Moose84 For This Useful Post:

vshns (01-11-2023)