Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,147

1 members and 3,146 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Suddenly stressed?

Hi guys,

I've had Kyle since December and he's been model bp from day 1.
    The guy who sold him to me said he was eating live so I was worried about switching him to F/T. However he took it right away and has been a fantastic F/T eater ever since.
    His set up is in a ~70 qt tub with a UTH and 2 hides for each side. During his shed cycles I put in a humidity box and he's had 2 perfect sheds.
    He has been a happy, sweet boy who ate like a pro ever since the day I brought him home.
    Until ...
    A few weeks ago I figured I'd try switching to rats. He's getting bigger and it's hard to find the right size for him since he's in between the large mouse and small rat.
    So I offered him a small rat and he was NOT having it. I tried 2 of them before accepting that he just doesn't like rats.
    Ok, no big deal. I switch back to mice.
    He won't take it. First time ever he refused a mouse!
    Tried again a few days later. Phew, he takes it!
    Go to feed him again a few days after that and he won't take the mouse.
    Try again a few days later, won't take one.

So he's eaten one mouse since the rat debacle a few weeks ago, and now he's trying to escape all day and night. I've cleaned his enclosure to remove all rat smell, added plants, switched from paper towel to Aspen, adjusted his temps up and then down...no change.

Last night I took him out and made a little fort for him on my bed. He slid under the blanket and poked his little head out from under it and stayed still for what seems like the longest period of time in weeks.

It's like I traumatized him with the rat and now he's not himself. I read they can sometimes go off food in the spring but that wouldn't explain his constant escape attempts.

Any ideas why my little guy suddenly changed so drastically?

Thanks
    Im not sure what a few means to you. But offering food to often can stress a snake out. It sounds to me like you are offering food too often. Offer once a week and if he refuses wait a full week to offer again.
    Last edited by MattEvans; 04-25-2019 at 12:37 PM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MattEvans For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-25-2019),Craiga 01453 (04-25-2019)

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts
    If your husbandry was right put everything back the way it was then don't mess with him for a week or two, then try again. as far as the actual eating goes, they eat when they want to. If he is not loosing weight, there is nothing to worry about. You cannot stress yourself out about balls not eating. When he becomes an adult he is going to go off food for a period of months. I've had boys go six months without eating. Their biology is set up to eat for periods then fast for periods. This probably has something to do with food availability in the wild.
    Honest, I only need one more ...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JodanOrNoDan For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (04-25-2019)

Thanks
    Thanks guys.
    New parent nervousness I guess...I've never seen him stress easily. He even took food during shed.
    I am a little worried about his weight, maybe I will post a picture and see if he looks at all underweight to you guys. It's hard to be objective when it's your first one

I will leave him alone for a while and try again!

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts

Re: Suddenly stressed?

Quote Originally Posted by camerynn View Post
    Thanks guys.
    New parent nervousness I guess...I've never seen him stress easily. He even took food during shed.
    I am a little worried about his weight, maybe I will post a picture and see if he looks at all underweight to you guys. It's hard to be objective when it's your first one

I will leave him alone for a while and try again!
    Get a digital kitchen scale scale and track his weight. It is what I did when I first started. After awhile you will be able to eyeball it.
    Honest, I only need one more ...

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

What is his weight in grams? You say he is in the in between stage. ( which is what mine is in ) that would be the 350 to 500 gram I believe. If he is not 500 grams a small rat might be too big for him. It might not be the idea of it being a rat (but could be) it might be the fact the feeder was just too big as well as the new smell.
    I agree with the previous poster, sounds like you are trying too often. I would try every 7 days. If he weighs around 400 grams you might want to try 2 small mice ( totaling 40 or so grams ) Unless you can find a rat size around 40 grams. But that is a hard size to find except maybe on line. Then once your snake gets to 500 grams and over ( which won't take very long ) you can try a small 50 gram rat. Some snakes do get stuck on mice I had one that wouldn't eat rat so I know what you are talking about. But right now I'd say it might have been the size issue and now it's because you are trying too often with the mice.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Just out of curiosity you never mentioned. Is this live feeding or fro. thawed? A live rat can be pretty scary to young snake use to mice. Unless the snake is of good size to deal with the rat.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ballpythonsrock2 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-25-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JodanOrNoDan View Post
    Get a digital kitchen scale scale and track his weight. It is what I did when I first started. After awhile you will be able to eyeball it.
    I have been weighing him, but only every 3-4 weeks. I should weekly to get a clearer picture.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ballpythonsrock2 View Post
    What is his weight in grams? You say he is in the in between stage. ( which is what mine is in ) that would be the 350 to 500 gram I believe. If he is not 500 grams a small rat might be too big for him. It might not be the idea of it being a rat (but could be) it might be the fact the feeder was just too big as well as the new smell.
    I agree with the previous poster, sounds like you are trying too often. I would try every 7 days. If he weighs around 400 grams you might want to try 2 small mice ( totaling 40 or so grams ) Unless you can find a rat size around 40 grams. But that is a hard size to find except maybe on line. Then once your snake gets to 500 grams and over ( which won't take very long ) you can try a small 50 gram rat. Some snakes do get stuck on mice I had one that wouldn't eat rat so I know what you are talking about. But right now I'd say it might have been the size issue and now it's because you are trying too often with the mice.
    Correct, he is about 350 now I believe. It could have been the size, that's true...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ballpythonsrock2 View Post
    Just out of curiosity you never mentioned. Is this live feeding or fro. thawed? A live rat can be pretty scary to young snake use to mice. Unless the snake is of good size to deal with the rat.
    Oh no, he's frozen only. The breeder started him off with live but he was a champ when I first fed him frozen and he's gobbled them down ever since!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to camerynn For This Useful Post:

ballpythonsrock2 (04-27-2019),Bogertophis (04-25-2019)