Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,744

0 members and 2,744 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fluid Bubbles

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    Looks almost like a burn due to the redness but it's in an odd place. Plus you said the UTH is on a thermostat.

Malnutrition can cause a condition called slipped skin disease due to the lack of vitamin C. Someone else here had a rescue ball python with it. The skin is paper thin and tears easily so the snake needs to be in a very minimalistic enclosure with nothing its skin can get snagged on until it recovers.

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...ry-Image-Heavy
    Last edited by bcr229; 04-25-2019 at 02:27 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-25-2019)

Thanks

Re: Fluid Bubbles

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    Looks almost like a burn due to the redness but it's in an odd place. Plus you said the UTH is on a thermostat.

Malnutrition can cause a condition called slipped skin disease due to the lack of vitamin C. Someone else here had a rescue ball python with it. The skin is paper thin and tears easily so the snake needs to be in a very minimalistic enclosure with nothing its skin can get snagged on until it recovers.

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...ry-Image-Heavy
    Yeah there is really no way it could be a burn. There isn't a heating pad on the side.

I have read a few post but nothing really on treatment. As of right now her skin seems good as its not really thin. I did put her back on paper towels because I didn't want the bubbles to be poked with the cypress substrate.

So will she absorb the fluid eventually? Or will the vet need to drain them? I was thinking more the lack of vitamin c because of malnourished she was/is. Or she got over watered from being so dehydrated so possibly renal failure. I'll do some more research of slipped skin disease I didn't look to much into when I came across it because her skin isn't falling off, but that doesn't mean it wont. Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SnakeNovice19 View Post
    ... As of right now her skin seems good as its not really thin. I did put her back on paper towels because I didn't want the bubbles to be poked with the cypress substrate.

So will she absorb the fluid eventually? Or will the vet need to drain them? I was thinking more the lack of vitamin c because of malnourished she was/is. Or she got over watered from being so dehydrated so possibly renal failure. I'll do some more research of slipped skin disease I didn't look to much into when I came across it because her skin isn't falling off, but that doesn't mean it wont. Thanks
    I agree w/ bcr229's post above. Snakes that have been chronically starved get very thin-skin that tears open easily. I suspect that the fairly sudden increase of food & water is a challenge for "her" whole body (including renal function). The blisters may break open, & if so, I recommend using Silvadene cream on them (get from vet or search OTC), but don't deliberately break them open "to drain" as the LAST thing she needs is an invitation to infection. Even with early weight gain, just understand that healing for this sweet snake will take a long time...you may have ups & downs (& I'm glad you'll be seeing vet soon too)...stay patient & optimistic, seen others like this recover in time. And"yes" to paper towels for substrate, btw. You could try supplementing her food with reptile or avian vitamins (for f/t prey, put vitamins in oral cavity prior to feeding).
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 04-25-2019 at 03:46 PM.

Thanks

Yeah I would never personally drain them, she is currently set up like quarantine because I didn't want them to pop open and cause more damage. This will be her 2nd trip to the vet, I am anxious to hear his thoughts. We did get to speak with a vet from K-State university and she is concerned about us making a 7-8 HR around trip due to stress on the snake. She said the few cases she has seen were not good out comes. Of course this is based off her not doing an exam. She asked for us to call back tomorrow for further discussion. So I'm hope full about that.

I will get some cream so if/when they come open we will have it on hand!

I have rep-cal herptivite with beta carotene multivitamins. Would this work or do I need something else? How much each feeding?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SnakeNovice19 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-25-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SnakeNovice19 View Post
    Yeah I would never personally drain them, she is currently set up like quarantine because I didn't want them to pop open and cause more damage. This will be her 2nd trip to the vet, I am anxious to hear his thoughts. We did get to speak with a vet from K-State university and she is concerned about us making a 7-8 HR around trip due to stress on the snake. She said the few cases she has seen were not good out comes. Of course this is based off her not doing an exam. She asked for us to call back tomorrow for further discussion. So I'm hope full about that.

I will get some cream so if/when they come open we will have it on hand!

I have rep-cal herptivite with beta carotene multivitamins. Would this work or do I need something else? How much each feeding?
    When I've supplemented the snakes I've bred, I just used a little bit of powdered vits. -basically what I could fit into the rodents mouth- you'll want to pry the mouth open carefully, use a small tool (tweezers or something) as the teeth are sharp, then push the mouth closed. If you just put the vit. powder on a damp rodent, it changes the way it smells (snake may reject it) & by the time the snake swallows it, much of the powder falls off. If using a liquid vit. you can inject it into the rodent, but the powdered vits. don't dissolve well, they clog the needles. I wouldn't worry about an exact measurement of the vits.- I think a little will be helpful.

There's been a couple members posting on this forum with similar skin issues in rescued BPs...healing is very slow but they've made progress. I hope the fluid gets re-absorbed without breaking the skin. Do keep us posted, would love to know what your vet thinks also. Gosh, that really is a long trip! Best way to
    transport is in a cloth bag, secured, then place with padding underneath in styro-foam shipping box or "ice chest", to minimize temp. changes during trip.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 04-25-2019 at 05:34 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

JodanOrNoDan (04-25-2019)

Thanks
    Awesome, thank you! I will keep everyone posted. Yes it is a long trip, thank you for transportation idea!

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SnakeNovice19 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-25-2019),octo_owl (04-25-2019),Valyndris (04-25-2019)

Thanks
    By the way, wedging the ice chest in, or putting a seat-belt around it is also a good idea, so if you have to stop fast, the container with snake doesn't go flying.
    Can't trust other drivers not to stop fast or cut you off. Have a safe journey...

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (04-26-2019),SnakeNovice19 (04-26-2019)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12