Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,247

1 members and 3,246 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

My ball python makes me feel guilty

So I fed my little Crowley last night and after I put him back he just kept begging to come back out. I don't let him back out for 48 hours after feeding him, it's always been like that but some days he doesn't go to bed like he usually does. He's just so adorable when he asks to come back out, he'll go up to where the door normally opens and just wait there till I notice him and once I do he starts to strafe back and forth, sometimes he'll even climb the glass and point at the lock, which might just be his strafing action making it look like that but I like to think he points at the lock. Then he insist on climbing into his branches and go up to the glass from there like he's saying "look I'm fine I can come out and play". Now tonight he's doing the same thing, I normally take him out daily, or at least the days he asks to come out, so forcing him to stay in his enclosure makes me feel bad/guilty even though he's got a huge tank and lots to do in there. I was just wondering if anyone has the same feelings I do when having to leave a begging snake alone or do I just love my little guy too much? I know it's for his own good as I don't want to pick him up and upset his digesting stomach. Just thought I'd share my story and see if anyone else feels guilty like I do when you want to take your snake out but just can't.

This first picture I took just now, it ended up really blurry though but he's asking nicely to come out

This second picture I took last night shortly after feeding him, he went in his branches acting like he didn't even eat. (yes if you look at the reflection I am watching Star Trek TNG)

This last picture I took years ago but it really shows what he does even right after eating, one time he was all over the place in his enclosure then slept for the 2 following days after. I think he got an upset stomach and learned his lesson because he didn't do it for a while after.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Valyndris For This Useful Post:

Alter-Echo (04-24-2019),Bogertophis (04-24-2019)

Thanks
    Lol, yeah, my butter orange ghost, amphirion, does the same thing, always wants to be held, even after eating. He now has started a new thing where he is on a hunger strike and any time I try to feed him he just crawls up my arm.... he recently got rather large really fast, so I suspect he just stopped eating as he catches up... but him treating feeding time like play time is not amusing. Lol

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Alter-Echo For This Useful Post:

Valyndris (04-24-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,795 Times in 11,828 Posts
    Actually, if you're an adult handling the snake (with no kids handling) it probably won't hurt a bit to cuddle him quietly for a while after he eats: BUT, make sure
    that's REALLY what he's after...he may be looking for "dessert" & you could get bit if he's looking for more. And let me qualify: while it's best to let a snake digest
    quietly for a day or two after they eat, if they are kept level or with head up (not down!), gentle handling on your lap shouldn't hurt anything. Assuming your snake
    is one who has known you for a while also, one that won't be stressed just by the mere fact of being held.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Valyndris (04-24-2019)

Thanks

Re: My ball python makes me feel guilty

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Actually, if you're an adult handling the snake (with no kids handling) it probably won't hurt a bit to cuddle him quietly for a while after he eats: BUT, make sure
    that's REALLY what he's after...he may be looking for "dessert" & you could get bit if he's looking for more. And let me qualify: while it's best to let a snake digest
    quietly for a day or two after they eat, if they are kept level or with head up (not down!), gentle handling on your lap shouldn't hurt anything. Assuming your snake
    is one who has known you for a while also, one that won't be stressed just by the mere fact of being held.
    I'd cuddle with him quietly but he likes to roam around everywhere, I can't trust him to behave so I just have to let him stay in his enclosure for 48 hours. I don't think he's looking for dessert, he's just used to coming out daily. He doesn't stress with handling at all as I take him out very often, he just loves to be out, he has a whole room to do his "missions". As much as I want to take him out I think it's best I leave him be for 48 hours, it's just not worth risking to take him out. He does stay in a cave I put on the couch but only after doing a bunch of missions in the room, I know if I tried to start him off on the couch he would keep trying to go to the floor or somewhere bad.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Valyndris For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-24-2019),TechnoCheese (04-25-2019)

Thanks
    I like to wait 48 hours but I have no problem getting mine out after 24 if I feel like it. I always see how they act and if it’s normal I spend some time with them.

Ive heard several well known keepers say 6 hours is fine but have never done it only 24 at min. But what are everyone’s thoughts?

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Danger noodles For This Useful Post:

tttaylorrr (04-25-2019),Valyndris (04-25-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,795 Times in 11,828 Posts

Re: My ball python makes me feel guilty

Quote Originally Posted by Danger noodles View Post
    I like to wait 48 hours but I have no problem getting mine out after 24 if I feel like it. I always see how they act and if it’s normal I spend some time with them.

Ive heard several well known keepers say 6 hours is fine but have never done it only 24 at min. But what are everyone’s thoughts?
    The advice not to handle a snake after it has eaten is generalized, mostly because we don't all mean the same thing by "handling", and also, some snakes aren't
    that calm about it either. It's really not worth the risk of having your snake regurgitate...it's best to let them rest.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Valyndris (04-25-2019)