Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,426

6 members and 1,420 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Question about pet stores

Quote Originally Posted by reptilemom25 View Post
    For example, my rosy boa was $185 shipped from the breeder. they want $299 for a similar animal.

For my Blood python on MorpMart its $500 for a male T- and at the store I paid 500 for a male T-. And they were comparable specimens.

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts
    Pet stores are hit and miss. In that vein, so are breeders and online sellers. My one fight with mites came from an online seller. A more serious problem came from a "very reputable" large scale breeder. My best animals came from Ralph Davis and reptile shows. I haven't brought in any new animals in about two years. If I buy anything from anywhere ever again it is going to be from someone I have interacted with a lot. We made a decision not to chase the latest and greatest awhile back. We have enough bloodlines in our current stock to "keep things fresh" as well as produce things that have never been seen with what we have. What I will agree with as far as pet stores go is do not pay money to "rescue" an animal. It just perpetuates the problem.
    Honest, I only need one more ...

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JodanOrNoDan For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-24-2019),Sonny1318 (04-24-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I have a Petsmart, Petco, Pet Supplies Plus and Pet Supermarket within 10-20 min from my home. There are 2 reptile stores in my county that are about 10 min from my home.

I don't like ANY of these stores including reptile stores for selling wrong items and giving bad advice to new, concerned owners.

I don't like that the biggest hamster cage being offered for Golden is still too small, some so small that they can injure themselves. I don't like the biggest bunny cage recommended and sold is a crappy 3 x 16". Even dwarf bunnies need more space than that for their health and mental wellbeing. I don't like heat rocks are still being sold. I don't like none of the above chain stores and the 2 reptiles stores do not sell thermostats to reptile owners. I don't like that citronella collars and shock collars are being sold to anyone indiscriminately without being taught with the proper instructions, if they must be used. I don't like that calcium sands are used in their lizard tanks and sold to lizard owners, when it has been proven time and time again that this crap can impact and kill their lizards.

What I hate is having to correct the staff and teach their customer on how to care for the animal that they bought from them and what correct items to buy. So many times I had to step in and explain to the customer that their bearded dragon that is refusing to eat needs a stronger UVB bulb or get rid of the loose substrate at a reptile store; explain how they need to buy a thermostat for their ball python's heat mat ASAP and unplug it until then; and that a cat peeling outside its litterbox all of a sudden require a a vet check up, not avoid the issue by spraying air cans at its face to stop the behavior.

But what I hate the most are the customers/keepers who willfully ignore any advice, refuse veterinary care for their pets and refuse to change or try something different for the pet's safety, health and wellbeing. The ones who believe their animals are worth as much as they can out of it with the least amount of work.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cheesenugget For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (04-24-2019),Bogertophis (04-24-2019),Sonny1318 (04-24-2019),tttaylorrr (04-24-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,822 Times in 11,841 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesenugget View Post
    I have a Petsmart, Petco, Pet Supplies Plus and Pet Supermarket within 10-20 min from my home. There are 2 reptile stores in my county that are about 10 min from my home.

I don't like ANY of these stores including reptile stores for selling wrong items and giving bad advice to new, concerned owners.

I don't like that the biggest hamster cage being offered for Golden is still too small, some so small that they can injure themselves. I don't like the biggest bunny cage recommended and sold is a crappy 3 x 16". Even dwarf bunnies need more space than that for their health and mental wellbeing. I don't like heat rocks are still being sold. I don't like none of the above chain stores and the 2 reptiles stores do not sell thermostats to reptile owners. I don't like that citronella collars and shock collars are being sold to anyone indiscriminately without being taught with the proper instructions, if they must be used. I don't like that calcium sands are used in their lizard tanks and sold to lizard owners, when it has been proven time and time again that this crap can impact and kill their lizards.

What I hate is having to correct the staff and teach their customer on how to care for the animal that they bought from them and what correct items to buy. So many times I had to step in and explain to the customer that their bearded dragon that is refusing to eat needs a stronger UVB bulb or get rid of the loose substrate at a reptile store; explain how they need to buy a thermostat for their ball python's heat mat ASAP and unplug it until then; and that a cat peeling outside its litterbox all of a sudden require a a vet check up, not avoid the issue by spraying air cans at its face to stop the behavior.

But what I hate the most are the customers/keepers who willfully ignore any advice, refuse veterinary care for their pets and refuse to change or try something different for the pet's safety, health and wellbeing. The ones who believe their animals are worth as much as they can out of it with the least amount of work.
    But how do you REALLY feel??? Seems like time goes on & these things never change...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Sonny1318 (04-24-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    But how do you REALLY feel??? Seems like time goes on & these things never change...
    Yes it is sad that most of the problems that existed 20 years ago still exist today. Like Heat Rocks. WTF How do they even sell those still? Then the Calci sand. This scan just came out when I started. Its sad to see that its just another item that kills our beloved pets.

Thanks

OMG!!!! Exotic Pet in LV! I used to shop there 20 years ago. I picked up a normal BP from a local box store. I didn't know much at the time. it had mites and Ken turned me on to putting a fly strip on top the tank for a day or 2. All mites were killed and the bp was a happy camper. Needless to say all supplies were purchased from them there after. In fact I have not bought any animals from chains stores since.

Anyway I know this is not what the thread was for, but man thanks for the flashback for me

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cncmachineguy View Post
    OMG!!!! Exotic Pet in LV! I used to shop there 20 years ago. I picked up a normal BP from a local box store. I didn't know much at the time. it had mites and Ken turned me on to putting a fly strip on top the tank for a day or 2. All mites were killed and the bp was a happy camper. Needless to say all supplies were purchased from them there after. In fact I have not bought any animals from chains stores since.

Anyway I know this is not what the thread was for, but man thanks for the flashback for me

My pleasure. you probably saw me there, as I was there for about 3 years. I was the fat pimply faced 14 year old named Robert.

Thanks

I wish I could say I do remember you, but sadly I barely remember the store. I was there around 97-99. (For all you youngens that would be 1997-1999) back when dinosaurs walked the earth AND we started the year with 19

12. The Following User Says Thank You to cncmachineguy For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-24-2019)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12