Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,617

1 members and 1,616 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,529
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Question Question about pet stores

So, I wanted to ask is what everyone has against pet stores referring to stores like PetCo and Pet Smart only? Cause locally we have a few reptile specialty pet stores that house some very decent specimens. The owners that I have spoken to at the two pet stores I am thinking of have amazing setups, and their animals are well cared for. I bought my Blood Python from one of these stores, and I have had few problems that were not my fault, but they were at no point the fault of the pet store. I got a healthy animal that feeds well. yes his feeding response is not high, but he does eat, and honestly has the disposition of a puppy. I've just always been one to support my local pet store. I guess its because I worked for an exotic pet store for a few years when I was younger, but there are good pet stores. I'm just trying to understand everyone's hatred for pet stores

For Example the Pet store in Las Vegas I worked for. The Owner is a Herpetologist, and he bred everything from Iguanas to Burmese, Hognoses, rat snakes... Indigo snakes... You name it he bred it. Tortoises, turtles... everything. I learned so much from him. He taught me how to take care of snakes, and a multitude of reptiles/amphibians. Granted this was 20 years ago so I don't remember a whole lot, but it was an amazing experience. The only thing I have to say is after taking care of a Capuchin(SP) Monkey for a few years, I will never own one. Monkeys are dirty and nasty.

So, I guess it boils down to this. Just like everything else. There are bad Pet stores, and there are good ones. If you guys are saying that it is bad to buy a snake or reptile from one of those all in one pet stores that doesn't specialize in reptiles. Then I would be inclined to agree with everyone. But simply saying all pet stores suck, I think is way too much of a generalization.
    Last edited by sur3fir3; 04-24-2019 at 12:33 PM.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sur3fir3 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-24-2019),fadingdaylight (04-24-2019),FollowTheSun (04-24-2019),paulh (04-24-2019),Sunnieskys (04-25-2019)

Thanks

Re: Question about pet stores

Quote Originally Posted by sur3fir3 View Post
    So, I wanted to ask is what everyone has against pet stores referring to stores like PetCo and Pet Smart only? Cause locally we have a few reptile specialty pet stores that house some very decent specimens. The owners that I have spoken to at the two pet stores I am thinking of have amazing setups, and their animals are well cared for. I bought my Blood Python from one of these stores, and I have had few problems that were not my fault, but they were at no point the fault of the pet store. I got a healthy animal that feeds well. yes his feeding response is not high, but he does eat, and honestly has the disposition of a puppy. I've just always been one to support my local pet store. I guess its because I worked for an exotic pet store for a few years when I was younger, but there are good pet stores. I'm just trying to understand everyone's hatred for pet stores

For Example the Pet store in Las Vegas I worked for. The Owner is a Herpetologist, and he bred everything from Iguanas to Burmese, Hognoses, rat snakes... Indigo snakes... You name it he bred it. Tortoises, turtles... everything. I learned so much from him. He taught me how to take care of snakes, and a multitude of reptiles/amphibians. Granted this was 20 years ago so I don't remember a whole lot, but it was an amazing experience. The only thing I have to say is after taking care of a Capuchin(SP) Monkey for a few years, I will never own one. Monkeys are dirty and nasty.

So, I guess it boils down to this. Just like everything else. There are bad Pet stores, and there are good ones. If you guys are saying that it is bad to buy a snake or reptile from one of those all in one pet stores that doesn't specialize in reptiles. Then I would be inclined to agree with everyone. But simply saying all pet stores suck, I think is way too much of a generalization.
    generally speaking it’s referring to chain stores, but outside of that its to your discretion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. The Following User Says Thank You to baldegale For This Useful Post:

sur3fir3 (04-24-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts
    there's a difference between a mom-and-pop pet shop, and pet supply stores like PetCo, PetSmart, Pet Land and other giant corporations that profit on the sale of living beings.

PetSmart and PetCo might have a few decent stores — heck mine is one of them: i've been waiting for them to slip up since i joined the hobby but all their babies look great — but there's been way too many news stories, photos and anecdotes spanning YEARS and YEARS that we as a hobby just cannot ignore anymore. these corporations have a systemic issue in that they don't view their animals, specifically reptiles, as living beings, but dollar signs, and time and again it's proven.

this is why we say stop buying their pets: when you buy that sickly looking noodle in hopes of saving it, there's just another one waiting to be put in its place. at what point do we stop contributing to this machine, this cycle of abuse?

just stop spending your money there, because money is the only way to get their attention. any dollar spent at a PetCo or PetSmart is further allowing them to continue with their practices without repercussions, selling sick and under cared for animals.

all this said: i still buy the occasional rat or decor from there.
    Last edited by tttaylorrr; 04-24-2019 at 12:47 PM.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-24-2019),sur3fir3 (04-24-2019)

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts

I've seen good petcos/petsmarts and terrible ones. I've seen good mom and pop reptile stores and ones that made me cry.
    Generally, and especially 10+ years ago, MOST pet stores, chain stores or not, were not that great so a bias has been established.
    I agree though, when you find as good one, try to support them if that's what you want to do.

Quote Originally Posted by sur3fir3 View Post
    For Example the Pet store in Las Vegas I worked for. The Owner is a Herpetologist, and he bred everything
    Did you work at Exotic Pets with Ken Foose?
    For the Horde!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

Sonny1318 (04-24-2019),sur3fir3 (04-24-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 460 Posts
    Agree with above comments-- we only use PetCo/Smart to buy feeder crickets because it's close to our home. For reptile stuff we have a favorite amazing reptile store that we try to support. I bought my Noodle there and all the animals are very well cared for and healthy.
    2 BP's, one ratsnake, 2 dogs, 3 cats, 2 small caged birds, 7 chickens, and a toddler in a pear tree

10. The Following User Says Thank You to FollowTheSun For This Useful Post:

sur3fir3 (04-24-2019)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Good pet stores are the minority.

In general you have poor quarantine, poor husbandry, mislabeling, poor advice, and zero background on the animal you purchased.

The main reason most pet stores have animals are impulse buys allowing them to sell the supply which is where money is.

There are a few good specialized reptile stores out there you just need to find them.
    Deborah Stewart

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Sonny1318 (04-24-2019),sur3fir3 (04-24-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 575 Posts

Yep, agreed. Generally "pet store" is equated to the big chain stores of which most are bad at keeping reptiles to the point that purchases from them are often rescue-type situations.

A new owner will often struggle with that animal and the store will not be able to give advice to help since their methods often caused the issues in the first place. (Stuck shed, refusing food, poor hides, low humidity and dehydration, etc.)

Some select locations are good, but all profit ends up at the same place and some is likely spent replacing continuously dying animals at their poor quality stores. I would avoid buying even a healthy animal as I would want that profit not to wind up getting spent replacing a dead one at a store the next city over.

Small pet shops or specialty stores can be bad as well, but there are also many great ones, so by no means is it intended to say to avoid these stores. Reward quality stores with your money, but don't waste it at a store that can't even be bothered to keep husbandry correct in what they sell.

Both kinds of store are often overpriced on the animals in my opinion compared to what you can get talking to a breeder yourself or checking expos, so I prefer supporting local breeders directly in that way. Sure, some sell to those specialty shops, but why pay markup I don't need to? I do stick to specialty reptile stores for dry goods where I can to support them that way instead.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pretends2bnormal For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-24-2019),Sonny1318 (04-24-2019),sur3fir3 (04-24-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
    I've seen good petcos/petsmarts and terrible ones. I've seen good mom and pop reptile stores and ones that made me cry.
    Generally, and especially 10+ years ago, MOST pet stores, chain stores or not, were not that great so a bias has been established.
    I agree though, when you find as good one, try to support them if that's what you want to do.

Did you work at Exotic Pets with Ken Foose?

Yes I did. I worked with Ken and Janice.<SP>
    Last edited by sur3fir3; 04-24-2019 at 12:59 PM.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sur3fir3 For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (04-24-2019),Bogertophis (04-24-2019)

Thanks
    I really wish we had a great local store, but we don't. Our chain stores are awful, and the one independent store in town is ok. I feel like a lot of their animals need bigger enclosures, and while they employ good kids who really care about animals, a lot of them are kids and as such don't always have the experience to hand out solid advice. They are overpriced as far as what you would pay from a breeder, even after you factor in shipping, but a lot of people want to see and hold the animal they are buying so they do ok business.

For example, my rosy boa was $185 shipped from the breeder. they want $299 for a similar animal.
    Last edited by reptilemom25; 04-24-2019 at 01:17 PM.
    0.1 Normal ball python Astrid
    1.0 banana bumblebee Samwise
    1.0 San Mattais rosy boa Charlie
    1.0 bearded dragon Gimli
    1.0 crested gecko Mr. Lizard

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to reptilemom25 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-24-2019),sur3fir3 (04-24-2019)

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts
    yeah physical stores have tons of overhead (rent/lease space, utilities, more employees than average online seller) so their prices are almost always going to be much higher for animals.
    For the Horde!

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-24-2019),Sonny1318 (04-24-2019),sur3fir3 (04-24-2019)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast