Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,188

3 members and 3,185 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: USARK - should I join?

Quote Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
    Since the change in leadership, I've never gotten the shirt for a renewal. I did ask them about it once and they finally sent one but I just don't bother any longer (although it would be nice!)
    Also since the change, I no longer get notices advising me to renew my membership, so I just have to remember which month and make sure to do it myself.
    The website could use some updates and love, that's for sure.
    I wonder if a group of us from here became members and voiced our concerns if it would help? I’ve never looked into them but will right now.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Danger noodles For This Useful Post:

fadingdaylight (04-24-2019),JRLongton (04-24-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts

yes, please join USARK. i joined a few years back after being inspired by the generosity of Albert Clark who advocates USARK membership. we need a fighting voice for reptiles.

I've been a member of USARK since 2010, participated in quite a few of the letter writing and phone call campaigns back then. There was some corruption with the prior founder Andrew Wyatt and things have changed up now. I don't see as much outreach for regular keepers to get involved as often as it used to be but they do quite a lot to help keepers retain the ability to legally keep our wonderful reptiles. National and state campaigns. They fight on our behalf regarding the lacey listings (python ban) and do a lot of good for the hobby IMO. It's only $40 a year as well. I hope more people join up.
    Quote Originally Posted by artgecko View Post
    I joined a couple of years ago when they added retics and burms to the lacey act and *almost* added boas... With the threat of interstate transport (say from GA to AL) being a felony act... You can understand the repercussions of that on pet owners going to see vets, moving, etc. and of course breeders. They used funds to fight USFWS's interpretation of the Lacey act (that it banned importation and transportation to non-continental holdings like Hawaii but not interstate transport) and won... To me, that proves their intent and that they are effective.

If you don't want to join, they do have an option to only donate to their legal fund also.
    ^ yep, all this. they don't bombard u and mainly communicate via their email alerts. it's how i learned and posted about all the rattlesnake legislation recently - roundups, gassing and that terrible Alabama law. they have a running blog for everything else that keeps u up to date. they don't force u to be involved but provide opportunity if u would like to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    I’ve been a member since 2016. I feel that $40/yr is more than reasonable to support folks that are active in helping fight legislation that threatens this hobby/lifestyle/industry. Only complaint is that you’re supposed to get a shirt with your membership fees and of the past 4 times I’ve registered I only got my shirt the first time and it took like 4 months
    Since the change in leadership, I've never gotten the shirt for a renewal. I did ask them about it once and they finally sent one but I just don't bother any longer (although it would be nice!)
    Also since the change, I no longer get notices advising me to renew my membership, so I just have to remember which month and make sure to do it myself.
    The website could use some updates and love, that's for sure.
    haha same here. i do have a super-official USARK trucker cap tho that i won at one of their auctions:

Edit: also FYI - their acronyms are pronounced U.S. Ark which i think is really kool. it's like a reference to Noah's Ark, but a big boat for reptile keeping.

Last edited by Ax01; 04-24-2019 at 06:21 PM.
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ax01 For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (04-25-2019),fadingdaylight (04-24-2019),JRLongton (04-24-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Danger noodles View Post
    I wonder if a group of us from here became members and voiced our concerns if it would help? I’ve never looked into them but will right now.
    That's not a bad suggestion at all. One of the things I was wondering was what the governing structure of the organization is. Do members have an actual say in anything?
    Last edited by JRLongton; 04-25-2019 at 08:33 AM.

Thanks
    I thought the shirt was only for first-time members. I had to email them to get mine. Just be warned, they only carry the larger sized shirts. I asked for a small (I'm a 5'1" female) and got a male large that I can't wear anywhere lol.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

7. The Following User Says Thank You to artgecko For This Useful Post:

JRLongton (04-26-2019)

Thanks

Yikes! I wear a male medium! Large looks like a dress on me.
    \m/

Thanks
    Old thread but yes worth joining. See my post about Spain.
    Also they cosponsored a Herp Symposium at the United State Geologic Survey last year
    where governmet types and pet industry types talked and exchanged ideas. It was quite good.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12