Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,952

1 members and 2,951 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Another reason to hate heat rocks...

I was contacted tonight to go pick up a ball python tomorrow. I was told it had a little spot with liquid beneath the scales and a little redness and the girl needed to rehome it because she’s going home for the summer and her mother is afraid of snakes. As I always do I asked her to send me pictures of the snakes face and body (to set up a proper enclosure and check for obvious health issues) and in this case I asked for a picture of the wound.

I was NOT expecting to see what I did.

She says the blister was not there two days ago but she suspects it’s from a heat rock. Why do people still use them? I honestly don’t think I’ll sleep tonight thinking about her. I just want to go pick her up and get her as far away from any heat rocks as I can!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lusiphera For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-23-2019),TechnoCheese (04-23-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,795 Times in 11,828 Posts
    OMG! That's horrible! Might as well heat the cage with lit candles....that poor snake.

Thanks

Re: Another reason to hate heat rocks...

Most people in our society view animals as things for their entertainment. Combine that with the attention span we see in people today and the results are record numbers of animals being surrendered to shelters or just dumped in the street. And, while I love reptile shows, the last 2 I went to really bothered me when I saw breeders pushing retics on people who were obviously inexperienced and even scared of snakes. I saw parents there with kids who were walking around with deli cups of snakes and lizards under one arm and a small critter keeper plastic cage underneath the other. You can buy a gecko or ball python for $20, and as long as your total investment isn’t much more than $40 or so, then when your kid gets sick of them, it’s only a few bucks you’re out.

Thanks
    That's bad.... almost think it's gone septic... might be too late for that snake already.