Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,504

1 members and 2,503 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Something new to me

I got a purple tiger retic a couple months ago and he’s been amazing. Today I went to feed him and everything was great. He struck the mouse, wrapped, and then pulled it into his hide. Looked like he had the situation under control so I went about my business. Came back a couple hours later and he hadn’t eaten yet. He was just chilling in his hide with a dead mouse. I gave him another hour just in case, but I decided it had probably been long enough and he just wasn’t gonna eat it. I grabbed my tongs to get it out and when I did he struck, and missed, again. So I presented the mouse one more time and he struck and wrapped it and ate it right away. Anyone else seen a retic do this?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 501 Posts

Re: Something new to me

Not a retic, but one of my carpets wouldn't strike after several minutes so I left the mouse. She ended up staring at it intently for like 2 hours without eating. When I went to remove it she struck and ate it right away.
    BALL PYTHONS: 1.0 Pied/Clark, 1.0 Pastel Vanilla Super Stripe/Sunny, 0.1 Dragon Fly/Buffy, 0.1 Pastel Vanilla Yellow Belly/Cher, 0.1 BEL (Mojave Lesser)/Arya, 0.0.1 Normal/Norm, 0.1 Cinnamon Enchi/Peaches, 1.0 Cinnamon Calico/Yoshi, 0.1 Pewter Het Dreamsicle/Ariel
    BOAS: 0.1 Dumeril's/Memphis, 0.1 BCL/Artemis, 1.0 BCO/Grimm, 0.1 Suriname BCC/Rhubarb
    CORN SNAKES: 0.0.1/Mushu
    MORELIA: 0.1 Bredli/Zelda, 0.1 Granite IJ/Bridget, 0.1 Caramel Diamond Jungle/Pixie

3. The Following User Says Thank You to WhompingWillow For This Useful Post:

bhsurf4 (04-22-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

I had a super dwarf that would eat when in her shed cycle, but every time I had to offer the prey three times. She’d strike and coil every time but would only eat it after the third offering

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bhsurf4 View Post
    I got a purple tiger retic a couple months ago and he’s been amazing. Today I went to feed him and everything was great. He struck the mouse, wrapped, and then pulled it into his hide. Looked like he had the situation under control so I went about my business. Came back a couple hours later and he hadn’t eaten yet. He was just chilling in his hide with a dead mouse. I gave him another hour just in case, but I decided it had probably been long enough and he just wasn’t gonna eat it. I grabbed my tongs to get it out and when I did he struck, and missed, again. So I presented the mouse one more time and he struck and wrapped it and ate it right away. Anyone else seen a retic do this?
    I have zero experience with retics, but I've seen plenty of other snakes, ALL kinds, do this same thing. Some snakes like BPs target the warmth, but many other snakes
    (like yours) are into the visual side of prey...they want to see it wiggling around. They seem to lose interest even though they can smell it ...but then when you try to
    retrieve or re-offer it, it's obviously just what they were waiting for. Silly sneks... One of my corn snakes pounces vigorously on f/t mice from tongs, but if I move too
    much (even backing away from her cage) she loses interest in the prey she caught & all she can think about is coming after "the motion" (which is me, but she doesn't
    really know that, thru the glass). Don't get me wrong, I'm totally on board with feeding f/t or pre-killed fresh prey, but this is a downside of doing so: in the real world,
    our snakes would not lose interest so fast because they'd be wrestling the rodent for at least a minute or so, & in the real world, a person wouldn't be moving around
    nearby & being a distraction.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts

Retics can be derpy sometimes and forget they have food if they get distracted. I would just slide a door barely open to get him excited again and he would remember he was holding food.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (04-23-2019),JTC (04-26-2019)